Video chromecast vs teewe 2 vs ????!

Google's Chromecast app by itself doesn't have any provision to stream offline videos...
But there are a lot of 3rd party apps like plex, emby, videostream etc to stream offline videos to the chromecast...
The problem with desktop streaming is that the apps are not standalone programs but rather open up in the chrome browser and then cast from there...
I recently got a chromecast but I have not been able to successfully watch a movie properly from my desktop.. However I have been using an app called localcast from my nexus tab and able to watch a few tv episodes..
This app does not support x265 videos though.. Hence now I'm experimenting more on the desktop apps like plex & emby..

People who are using plex, could you tell me whether I need to pay the activation charge to control the plex server (installed on my desktop) via the plex app on my nexus tab, even though I will be streaming only on local network and do not want the cloud services?

Plex does not have any charges if streaming locally. If you are doing remote streaming, you may need to pay a one time charge of 150 USD for Plex Pass.

The problem with desktop streaming is that the apps are not standalone programs but rather open up in the chrome browser and then cast from there...
I recently got a chromecast but I have not been able to successfully watch a movie properly from my desktop.. However I have been using an app called localcast from my nexus tab and able to watch a few tv episodes..
This app does not support x265 videos though.. Hence now I'm experimenting more on the desktop apps like plex & emby..

Hi guys,

Given that the streaming is not "seamless," on Chromecast, should one for for MK808b Plus instead? I am looking for something that can stream HD movies from my PC to the TV wire-lessly seamlessly, no judder or lag.

TIA guys.

Ah.. reading the posts here, I gotta a admit that my decision to purchase the Seagate Personal Cloud was indeed a good one. Now I got the storage and the media streaming seamlessly to all my devices including the smart TV.

Ah.. reading the posts here, I gotta a admit that my decision to purchase the Seagate Personal Cloud was indeed a good one. Now I got the storage and the media streaming seamlessly to all my devices including the smart TV.

Hmm.. but that would be way too costly compared to chromecast and such I think.. Which model do you have? How much did it cost?

Plex does not have any charges if streaming locally. If you are doing remote streaming, you may need to pay a one time charge of 150 USD for Plex Pass.

Suppose I'm streaming a movie using plex via chrome browser on my desktop... Is there any way I can control this playback from my android device?
Because if I try playing the same movie using plex android app directly, it says that it will play only for 1min or I need to buy subscription...

Suppose I'm streaming a movie using plex via chrome browser on my desktop... Is there any way I can control this playback from my android device?
Because if I try playing the same movie using plex android app directly, it says that it will play only for 1min or I need to buy subscription...

Watching via the browser is free, not via any app. But if you buy the pass, you can get all apps for free.

Hi everyone....

I read the whole thread.... just wanted to know if anything has changed between ChromeCast 2 vs MK808B Plus

I was using my PS3 Slim + Nexus6 combo to view YouTube on TV..... But now have removed the PS3...

So I am looking for these players to replace the experience... I only play local content and YouTube...

I do have ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 connected to the TV for HDD content..... So need to only play some local mobile content and YouTube through Cast... I have a 841N near the TV having 8Mbps MTNL net 24x7.....

Will the ChromeCast 2 be better for my needs?

YouTube experience with chromecast is pretty good for me, almost have same setup (including HDP R1)... I had tried both versions not much of difference that I noticed.

Check for thanksgiving deals, should save few bucks.

Hi everyone....

I read the whole thread.... just wanted to know if anything has changed between ChromeCast 2 vs MK808B Plus

I was using my PS3 Slim + Nexus6 combo to view YouTube on TV..... But now have removed the PS3...

So I am looking for these players to replace the experience... I only play local content and YouTube...

I do have ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 connected to the TV for HDD content..... So need to only play some local mobile content and YouTube through Cast... I have a 841N near the TV having 8Mbps MTNL net 24x7.....

Will the ChromeCast 2 be better for my needs?

Chromecast should be enough for your requirements.. Youtube will work without any issues..
For local content, there are a few apps which can stream but no support for x265 videos yet..

Chromecast should be enough for your requirements.. Youtube will work without any issues..
For local content, there are a few apps which can stream but no support for x265 videos yet..
Is a big problem. Normally I have been getting the x265 10bit rips but can't stream so I have to use my laptop and the hdmi connection to connect to TV.

Is a big problem. Normally I have been getting the x265 10bit rips but can't stream so I have to use my laptop and the hdmi connection to connect to TV.

If you are using a laptop then softwares like plex can do it.. It will transcode the x265 to proper format and stream it to chromecast..
The android phones don't support the transcoding yet is what I meant..

Thanks a lot guys for your quick replies.....

Are the x265 videos be a problem for the ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 as well??? So far it seems I have yet to encounter a x265 video....

As for the players.... will be going for the ChromeCast 2.... I dont think the ChromeCast Ultra is coming to India or that I will need it for my requirements....

If you are using a laptop then softwares like plex can do it.. It will transcode the x265 to proper format and stream it to chromecast..
The android phones don't support the transcoding yet is what I meant..
Tried that and for some reason plex was streaming was slower than a snail between the laptop and MK808B+. Might think of getting something which can play x265 natively instead.

videostream app for chrome browser in Windows can play x265 videos to chromecast. It also plays all videos seamlessly. It also has good app on android which can view and play pc content. Its free.

Just an update.... Got the ChromeCast2 10 days ago...

Its a wonderful device.... everything works smoothly as expected.... perfect for my requirements....

YouTube experience with a mobile on cast is so much better than on a PS3....

Videostream app for Chrome in Windows is just perfect....... So far has played all videos thrown at it... including x265 videos... thx @devesh38 ..... so haven't even tried Plex yet...

There was some buffering issue for few seconds on a couple of big videos files.... Probably due to the 841N routers bandwidth limitations??? Probably need to upgrade to an AC router with 5GHz??

Extremely happy with this Google device... It feels like I should have got this a year ago...

Thanks for all the help guys!

Back