Camera Claiming warranty on canon camera

cybertragic

Disciple
I had purchased a Canon camera IXUS 860IS at Alfa in Mumbai about 6 months back. Since I'm not from Mumbai, I had only heard that Alfa has great prices and had no idea that Alfa sells Grey Market stuff. So I got a dsrelative from Mumbai to purchase it before he was coming to my town.

It was only then I came to know that the camera has come without bill and warranty.

Now, yesterday while clicking some photographs in a dusty construction location,my camera's lense got spoilt and is not going fully inside anymore. After googling, I came to know this is a common problem with Canon and I should bang it against the table while switching on and off and it will become normal again. Most people had done this and succeeded. But after I banged it several times, instead of the lens becoming normal, the LCD also went kaput.

I want to get this repaired under warranty as it has been less than 6 months since I have purchased it. When I enter the serial number on the internet, it says that the camera has been purchased in Singapore.

I called Canon India customer care and told them I had purchased this camera in singapore and have lost the bill and warranty papers, but they told me that only for cameras purchased in india, papers are not needed and serial number is enough. For international purchases I will have to present the bill or warranty papers.

This camera had cost me Rs. 15000 and I can't just throw it away. Is there any way to get it repaired through Canon or a third party without running a huge repair bill. Any suggestions?

Just go to a repair shop and see whether they can fix the cam. If not, try the Canon support number and tell them that you've been gifted this cam, so are not sure of the warranty info and the source of procurement. They may guide you with the same.

BTW - Do share the link about the site which advised you to bang your cam !!! It would be an interesting read :) Cameras are one of the most sensitive and fragile equipment. Don't ever try something like that.

1. I believe Alfa sells both grey AND original stuff. The grey will be cheaper of course.

As always, the 1 disadvantage of buying grey stuff is NO warranty, something to always keep in mind :(

So there is NO way to get it fixed under any kind of warranty.

2. You made a mistake banging it. You do NOT bang an electronic product :p

3. You can take it to a Canon service center where they will check it out and let you know the cost for repairing it. See how much they ask for and then decide if its worth spending the money :)

I know ... i know. I shouldn't have banged it in retrospect. But just google for "Canon lens not retracting" or something and there are dozens of good camera sites and forums where just about everyone has had this same problem and got okay by banging the camera.

Anyway, guess I'll give my phone in for and estimate and see how much it comes up to.

Trust me when I say this, Canon has excellent service. I brought my A85 about 4 and half years ago, and last year the CCD went bad. After looking around the web, I found it was a defective CCD and that Canon was replacing it for free. I just took it directly to the service center, told them its out of warranty and they fixed it without asking for bills or warranty.

I know your case isn't the same, but sometimes it helps if you don't give out all the info.

FYI....I own a Canon IXUS 70 which was bought from Singapore with "International Warranty" 100sg$ extra! for the warranty + other freebies and the camera was accompanied with an international warranty card. Just visit the nearest service center and ask the person what best he can do about the same.

As Checksum stated, I too experienced great service with Canon. My Powershot A75 was purchased by a friend in the US and brought in by another. All papers stayed in the US.

After a couple of years I had a problem with the camera and took it to the authorised Canon service centre here in Mumbai. They replaced the CCD free of cost and the camera is working fine since then. Never asked me for any purchase docs.

You could also try getting a quote for the repairs from a reputed camera repair shop. I had the same problem with a sony cams lens not retracting so i showed it to Central Camera and they did it up for 250rs along with a 3 month warranty :)

Well, things didn't exactly turn out as expected. There is some good news and some really bad news.

I showed my camera in Kolkata's service centre and it turned out to be under warranty, which was the good news.

But after evaluating the camera, they told me that the complete lens has been damaged and will have to be replaced. They say it is user damage and want Rs. 6,000/- to replace the lens. I obviously told them that I used the camera very carefully and asked, begged, threatened; tried everything to get it done free or at less cost but of no use. They are saying I will not be charged repair charges because it is under warranty but will have to pay for the parts cost.

I obviously can't afford to pay such a huge sum just for repairs. Please advice what can I do. And I admit banging the camera was a mistake, so please don't take my case about that.

^^ If its a parts damage, IMHO then there is nothing left to do. The lens is one of the most expensive part of the camera after the sensor and no unauthorised service centre is going to have a Canon lens.

So your only option is to buy a new cheaper camera or pay the 6k.

Or as a long shot, try sending it to another service centre.

@ OP: What about the LCD display that went kaput..? The lens would surely cost you that much, that I can assure you. Probably you could get a 2nd opinion somewhere else.

option 1 : go to another canon service center

option 2 : ship it to other city service center

option 3 : go to a camera repair center (generic and not canon) and get the job done cheaper

option 4 : sell the camera in an as is condition and buy a new digicam

must do : go back wherever you read abt the 'banging' step to work and save someone else's camera!!!

Even if I send it to another service centre, will they not have the currently generated jobsheet in the records under the camera's serial number and hence be able to track the current service comments and repair cost.

Back