Clone Hard Disk = Solution or Not

There are media files on my friend system which can run and accessible only on his system in which it's software installation was done.
I can't install that software on my system, because it requires installation key which is valid only for that system and needs online registration.

For viewing media files, no internet connection is required.

What is the possible solution for accessing it on my system?

You can try but if the software is checking the hardware/machine ID then I don't think cloning the HDD will help because yours will differ with his machine ID

What software is this? Knowing how it identifies its registered system will help to answer your question.

You can try but if the software is checking the hardware/machine ID then I don't think cloning the HDD will help because yours will differ with his machine ID

1) What is the best method or software for cloning?
2) How can I check whether it's checking hardware/machine id?[DOUBLEPOST=1434522484][/DOUBLEPOST]
What software is this? Knowing how it identifies its registered system will help to answer your question.
It's a customized software by Educational institute.

check for the file extensions, may be you can search for other softwares on internet to open the same type of files. Like you can open a text file from notepad/wodpad/MS word or any other text reader.

Well I was in same exact situation a very long back.
I found a movies folder on one Lan machine. But when I copied it, it contained just a single encrypted file with tons of gigabytes data. So tried 7zip and similar stuff but nothing worked.

I googled and immediately found that exact software. Installed it in obvious trial ver. Opened the encrypted file and it worked with the softwares default password.:p

That noob did encrypted the files but forget to set a custom password.;)

Thereafter I scanned his whole system and found many important stuff which was encrypted and decrypted with the default password.:cigar:

@bajaj151 look for a folder named flexlm in the installation drive.
flexlm licensing is used by many softwares, but the thing here of your interest is that flexlm uses either diskid - which is unique to a hard disk or MAC id which is also unique to a machine or sometimes both. So I might be difficult to just clone and start using the required software.

Lets wait for OP to reply, Speculation will confuse him and not really help. He already seems MIA.

Flexlm is used by softwares like 3ds max, maya or cad.
And op is talking about some customized software so no ways they will be using flexlm or similar licensing path.

It must be possible that the data generated via that sware is hardware locked and might only run on that system or unless the same sware is installed on OPs system should it decrypt and open the files.

After installing software with serial key, asking for product key, which can be generated only through online registration.
Is there any way, I can get key from already registered software?

If it is online registration, the key from another machine may not help. What is the name of the software?

Back