PC Peripherals CM UCP 900W + 2*GTX 480 SLi??

The Antec Signature series are good power supplies indeed. The OEM is Delta IINM. Jonny has rated them to be quite good.

regarding the "Why 2 x Fermi" thingy....
its just my whinp to get 2 x GTX 480 in SLi and bench em.....
Thats all cuz a single GTX 480 wud be enuf for res of 1920x1080.

Desecrator said:
So much so for your leet Google'ing skills, I fail to foresee the unit(s) you were complaining of failing thrice over!

The best I could do was this -

CM UCP 900W failure - Google Search

Any power supply can fail due to a lot of reasons. The first batch of the Seasonic M12D 850 units shipped to India was a bad batch in itself. I had to replace mine twice over. Does it translate to a bad power supply? I'm sure quite a few power supplies from Corsair as well arrived DOA - I have seen members in the forum complaining about the same. OW from jonnyguru himself has rated that power supply a notch above the TX850 - I can blindly trust him going by his reviews on the forum!

And lastly, just in case you didn't know as yet, everyone on the forum is entitled to have their views as well!

I didn't believe about UCP 900 being bad myself, but I had a look at user reviews for this PSU on newegg and 43% of the users gave it Very Poor and Poor ratings.

Customer Reviews Of COOLER MASTER UCP RS900-AAAAA3 900W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply

Usually most products on newegg end up getting 4 or 5 stars even if the product barely works. Its pretty usual to see at least 50~60% 5 star ratings on a decent product. So Personally I wouldn't touch any product which has got too many bad reviews on newegg and this PSU got no less than 43% bad reviews. Ofcourse I agree that there are always the occasional bad egg, but if 43% of the people who bought the PSU are dissatisfied, then there's something definitely wrong.

In contrast check the user reviews for a PSU like HX 850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

86% 5 star ratings and 6% 1 and 2 star ratings combined.

vasim21 said:
Ur facts are pretty clear as i can see ! There's something called as GOOGLE & nobody's asking u ur own views here !
People have reported their UCP 900 series failing thrice in an years time !

I've had a DOA VX450 once. Does that mean I should conclude that its a bad unit on account of my singular experience?

@Topic
Why does everyone pick a side? Just because I am pro-Corsair/XYZ units doesn't not mean I am against all others. Likewise, if we are against a particular CM product/series does not mean we hate them and want to murder their family. How hard is it to read up a bit and make a decent choice?

@OP
I blame you for all this! :p
Just buy another 5850 like a good boy and be done with it. You can upgrade further when you move to a 2560x1600 resolution display. :)
Furthermore, I'd suggest you reconsider the PSU purchase, since you already have a CM Silent Pro M 850W, it won't be much of an upgrade.
If you absolutely must upgrade your PSU and/or GTX480 SLi, go for the HX 850 as above.

Lord Nemesis said:
I didn't believe about UCP 900 being bad myself, but I had a look at user reviews for this PSU on newegg and 43% of the users gave it Very Poor and Poor ratings.

Customer Reviews Of COOLER MASTER UCP RS900-AAAAA3 900W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply

Usually most products on newegg end up getting 4 or 5 stars even if the product barely works. Its pretty usual to see at least 50~60% 5 star ratings on a decent product. So Personally I wouldn't touch any product which has got too many bad reviews on newegg and this PSU got no less than 43% bad reviews. Ofcourse I agree that there are always the occasional bad egg, but if 43% of the people who bought the PSU are dissatisfied, then there's something definitely wrong.

In contrast check the user reviews for a PSU like HX 850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

86% 5 star ratings and 6% 1 and 2 star ratings combined.

You should also take into consideration the total number of reviews for the power supply which is just 63! And there is an equal number of reviews which has voted it 5 eggs!

Take this review for instance - out of the 11 reviews it has got, everyone seems to have rated it a 5 eggs! Have you even heard of that manufacturer? Which of them would retail a 1kW power supply at 160 USD? :p

I'd say trust Egg's ratings with a grain of salt. Any power supply can turn out to be a dud. Seems like a lot of batches from the UCP 900W did have problems going by the ratings in NE - perhaps the QC certification was flawed or maybe something else. Honestly, I had my share of agony when the Seasonic M12D 850W turned out to be DOA. Twice!

Agreed the Corsair power supplies are one of the best efficient power supplies out there. Just that the UCP series cannot be compared to the Extreme Power/Extreme Power Plus series from Coolermaster and the entire series can thus be blamed.

Corsair HX850-10k (mod)
Cosair TX850-8.5k (non-mod)
Corsair TX950-9.8k (non-mod)
CM SP 850W-9.8k (mod) all are good power supplies:D

check hardwaresecrets.com psu reviews for details....:cool2:

hellgate said:
Hi guys,

I've a question.
I know that a UCP 900W wud handle a GTX 480 but wud it hav enuf juice to handle 2 GTX 480 in SLi?
only reason i'm worried is ths PSU has the +12v rail split into 5 rails & the last 2 (22A each) pwr the gpu.

Please do lemme know.

dt even think abot it bro... coz u'll be neck to neck wid the consumption of the 2x480 and then eventually ur psu will diminish in efficiency... and it will be very much venerable wid dying off or might take a gpu wid it...so see atleast 1200w

hellgate said:
bro how much did the HX 850 cost u?
from where did ya buy it?

I had ordered it through Rahul (iTWares) for 10.3K & Now it retails for around 9.8K at PrimeABGB.

Had done a lot of research before buying a PSU for myself & u cant go wrong with this. Some may feel that its way too costly but then its totally worth it IMO as u get 7 yrs of warranty on HX series instead of 5 yrs for TX !

Better burn ur pocket once instead of getting hit every time u upgrade hoping to get a better one !

Desecrator said:
You should also take into consideration the total number of reviews for the power supply which is just 63! And there is an equal number of reviews which has voted it 5 eggs!

Take this review for instance - out of the 11 reviews it has got, everyone seems to have rated it a 5 eggs! Have you even heard of that manufacturer? Which of them would retail a 1kW power supply at 160 USD? :p

I'd say trust Egg's ratings with a grain of salt. Any power supply can turn out to be a dud. Seems like a lot of batches from the UCP 900W did have problems going by the ratings in NE - perhaps the QC certification was flawed or maybe something else. Honestly, I had my share of agony when the Seasonic M12D 850W turned out to be DOA. Twice!

Agreed the Corsair power supplies are one of the best efficient power supplies out there. Just that the UCP series cannot be compared to the Extreme Power/Extreme Power Plus series from Coolermaster and the entire series can thus be blamed.

Well its not like I am against CM PSU's altogether and I am not comparing UCP to EP series either. Even I never thought UCP series would be bad as I always thought EP series is the only black sheep of CM PSU family. But when Vasim mentioned it, I checked newegg. As I mentioned newegg user ratings are always biased towards the 5 star and 4 star ratings, so I don't use it check if a product is good, but rather to check if a product is bad. :p Any product with bad user reviews on newegg must really have concerns to be worried about. In this case, only 63 people rated it and and nearly half the people considered it bad.

It may just be a case of bad batches being released as you said, but then would someone really want to take the risk considering there are other equally good or better alternatives available.

About that Kingwin PSU getting all 5 star ratings, as I mentioned getting 5 star ratings on newegg means nothing, but getting 1 star and 2 star ratings there means a lot (atleast for me). Also Kingwin is not so much of an unknown brand :p

How bout a TX 750W? askin cuz getting it at a gr8 price of 6k.
It has a single 12v rail & 60A on its. So wud it handle the load. I think it wud rt?

it will but will be on limit . as i7 also needs lot of power and 2 x 480 will be using 600w . at 100% load, efficiency also drops a lot .

hellgate said:
How bout a TX 750W? askin cuz getting it at a gr8 price of 6k.

It has a single 12v rail & 60A on its. So wud it handle the load. I think it wud rt?

the brand new TX 750 is 6.8k or so (check lynx)...so it isn't really a good deal :\ i would rather go with a brand new one for 700-800 bucks extra then a used one...for saving 700-800 rs...

better to get a TX850 for 7.2k odd brand new :)

I would definitely not take the risk of running two GTX480's on a TX750. That would be cutting it too close. nVidia itself recommends a 600W PSU for a rig with a single GTX480. I would put at least a 250~300W leeway for a second GTX480.

@mutant if u should excuse cause the ambair has not update the website regular and it is fake cause he is already banned at another form for not improve service after sale

btw i quote at delta page they said 7.5k and call ambair to update the latest price of tx 750 tx ;)

mutant said:
the brand new TX 750 is 6.8k or so (check lynx)...so it isn't really a good deal :\ i would rather go with a brand new one for 700-800 bucks extra then a used one...for saving 700-800 rs...
better to get a TX850 for 7.2k odd brand new :)

TX750 is 7.5k around and TX850 is 8.5k around .

Arun.P said:
@mutant if u should excuse cause the ambair has not update the website regular and it is fake cause he is already banned at another form for not improve service after sale

Can you enlighten us on the forum where Amarbir was banned for "not improve service after sale" as you claimed? Amarbir has some of the best after sales service I have encountered in India and any problems people had were pre-sale/ during sale. AFAIK, he was not banned at any forum and he has with drawn his dealership status on his own. Even on E the mods rushed to put up a dealership termination notice after Amarbir already mentioned that he would be withdrawing his dealership status and it was done so that they dont have to stand a dealer walking away on them. Other than that I don't think he was ever banned bacuase of the way he conducts his business.

Also FYI, there are some brands on which Amabir has better prices than whats available in Mumbai or south Indian cities. CM is one of them (I got my CM Stacker 830 for 11k odd which was nearly 3k less than the Mumbai price at the time). I think Corsair may also be one of them as I got my HX1000 for 12k odd if I remember right.

^ fine enough of the argument i know your experimental where u deal with amabir

i pm him where i need motherboard + cpu combo ( intel e8400 + p35) long back offer and he refused and he said the price has not update and he update the price add 500 extra buck and i refused the deal due to charge extra buck and not regular update the website

and many people face problem while face dealer not respond late hardware shipment

and he keep excuse long months and a day

p.s i am asking it is call poor feedback service again pm :) that why i am waste my time and energy :|

cause i don't want common tense while deal depend on buying any hardware ;)

Back