CPU/Mobo Collecting money. Need suggestions on a processor

SumitB

Adept
Hello all,

My processor was sold off due to my mobo being rendered useless. Now my mobo is not even traceable but that is a different story all together.

Now, I am in the process of collecting some money to get myself a new processor and motherboard. Since I have everything other than these two.

I need to have a DDR3 based motherboard since I already got this.

I have about 5K with me at the moment. I can collect another 5K. So what can I get for 10K?

I would most definitely like to get a quad core if possible. AMD or Intel. No overclocking. 24/7 operation. Mainly as a download rig at nights but during the day, a web browsing machine, a machine for hi-def content and for general usage.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Re: Collecting money. Need suggestions. Please help!

Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz, 4 cores @ 5.15k

ECS A785GM-M @ 4.8k /MSI 785GM-E51 @ 4.6k /Biostar TA785G3 @ 3.65k

Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333MHz C9 @ 2.2k

Sumit, stay away from ECS boards- they have an inferior build quality compared to others such as MSI, Gigabyte, Asus etc. Puny heatsinks atop the NB/SB, slender board, minimal solid caps onboard etc. I can vouch for this since I saw one at the Digit's test centre when I was at Mumbai last time. Even the reviewers share the same opinion.

Karthi's suggestion on the processor is a good one. I don't delve into AMD these days so can't comment on any boards ATM.

Gannu said:
Sumit, stay away from ECS boards- they have an inferior build quality compared to others such as MSI, Gigabyte, Asus etc. Puny heatsinks atop the NB/SB, slender board, minimal solid caps onboard etc. I can vouch for this since I saw one at the Digit's test centre when I was at Mumbai last time. Even the reviewers share the same opinion.

Karthi's suggestion on the processor is a good one. I don't delve into AMD these days so can't comment on any boards ATM.

The reviews were pretty ok for that mobo.

ECS A785GM-M

Other option is,

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H - 5.5k. -> Good mobo for its price

Gannu said:
Please stick to General Section which's generally where you lurk around. We already have members like you who spurt out sane advices, thank you!
Did i blast you in some thread i don't remember? Do my posts raise your BP levels? Get over it.

Gannu said:
Please stick to General Section which's generally where you lurk around. We already have members like you who spurt out sane advices, thank you!

Sorry but wont deltapage give an approx pricelist of stuff he can get for 10k ? just my 2p

I concur with Gannu. I asked for suggestion on WHICH proccy & mobo to get.

If I would want a listing of all products and components, I would have listed better websites.

So, if you don't have some concrete suggestions to make, just keep off.

@Gannu: I am also not comfortable with ECS. If I get something, it would be either from Asus, Gigabyte or MSI. What are my chances of unlocking the 555BE? I can get some more money and take my budget upto 13K if needed. Maybe even 15K.

Please note that I only need the mobo & proccy. I already got everything else including 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz from Corsair.

Sumit, The Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition with the batch no. 1002EPMW has a guaranteed unlock. Not sure of other batches.

The Gigabyte 790X-UD4P seems to be a good board with a not so buggy BIOS as the factory shipped one. Not sure of the pricing though. People have reported confirmed unlocks without issues with the same combo.

And so is the Biostar TA785GE. :)

SumitB said:
I concur with Gannu. I asked for suggestion on WHICH proccy & mobo to get.

If I would want a listing of all products and components, I would have listed better websites.

So, if you don't have some concrete suggestions to make, just keep off.

@Gannu: I am also not comfortable with ECS. If I get something, it would be either from Asus, Gigabyte or MSI. What are my chances of unlocking the 555BE? I can get some more money and take my budget upto 13K if needed. Maybe even 15K.

Please note that I only need the mobo & proccy. I already got everything else including 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz from Corsair.

Thats why i gave you a list. If u have brand preference you should have listed it. Some ppl are not comfortable with even Asus and MSI coz of A.S.S. Some dont like Biostar.

Let ppl know ur likes and dislikes in the first post and current config rather than after ppl suggest. If u have RAM fine. So does it cost u if someone suggest a RAM?

I don't wanna waste my time suggesting ppl who are so arrogant. Mate you asked for a suggestion. Learn to be courteous who try to help you. And ya i will keep of from this n ur future threads.

Chill mate! Where did I direct my post to you? My post was for the person who listed deltapage as a resource.

Your posts and suggestions are valuable to me. I have not directed any of my rants to you and even then, if you feel offended, I apologise, unconditionally.

Now, please carry on the suggestions for my needs. :hap2:

Karthi007 said:
Thats why i gave you a list. If u have brand preference you should have listed it. Some ppl are not comfortable with even Asus and MSI coz of A.S.S. Some dont like Biostar.

Let ppl know ur likes and dislikes in the first post and current config rather than after ppl suggest. If u have RAM fine. So does it cost u if someone suggest a
RAM?

I don't wanna waste my time suggesting ppl who are so arrogant. Mate you asked for a suggestion. Learn to be courteous who try to help you. And ya i will keep of from this n ur future threads.

SumitB said:
Chill mate! Where did I direct my post to you? My post was for the person who listed deltapage as a resource.

Your posts and suggestions are valuable to me. I have not directed any of my rants to you and even then, if you feel offended, I apologise, unconditionally.

Now, please carry on the suggestions for my needs. :hap2:

:ashamed: They must have removed that post and i thought i was at me for listing 4 mobos.

My Bad got confused.:S Sorry mate. Cheers:hap2:

Quoting or mentioning names will avoid confusions :p

Btw if you increase your budget then the MSI 790GX-GD65 - 7k~ is a good SB750 based ATX mobo

Karthi007 said:
:ashamed: They must have removed that post and i thought i was at me for listing 4 mobos.

My Bad got confused.:S Sorry mate. Cheers:hap2:

Quoting or mentioning names will avoid confusions :p

Btw if you increase your budget then the MSI 790GX-GD65 - 7k~ is a good SB750 based ATX mobo

Oops! I too did not notice it. The mods removed the post by the member directing me to go to deltapage. :(

Anyways, coming to this GD65 from MSI. Will it unlock the 555BE? I too have heard good things about it. But, if I get this and the 555BE, my damages touch 15K. For this amount, don't you think the i5 750 and the Gigabyte P55M UD2 is a better option?

Why do you need a Quad for full-nite Downloading/web-surfing/general usage?

You can save money by getting a dual core and and also save money on electricity bills by a dual. IMO, quad is an overkill in your situation!

If you have a Quad @ 2.6GHz, but not all cores are utilized, then a Dual @ 3.2GHz will be faster than it. Similarly if you have a Dual @ 3.2GHz and a Quad @ 2.6, but you software can utilize all the cores, then the 2.6 Quad will be faster than a 3.2 Dual.

Think again if you need a Quad. The money you will save on the CPU, can be utilized elsewhere, like a graphic card or something else. Even your electricity bills will smile on your decision!

Why do you need a Quad for full-nite Downloading/web-surfing/general usage?

You can save money by getting a dual core and and also save money on electricity bills by a dual. IMO, quad is an overkill in your situation!

If you have a Quad @ 2.6GHz, but not all cores are utilized, then a Dual @ 3.2GHz will be faster than it. Similarly if you have a Dual @ 3.2GHz and a Quad @ 2.6, but you software can utilize all the cores, then the 2.6 Quad will be faster than a 3.2 Dual.

Think again if you need a Quad. The money you will save on the CPU, can be utilized elsewhere, like a graphic card or something else. Even your electricity bills will smile on your decision!

I am agree with ShahJahan suggestion.

No overclocking. 24/7 operation. Mainly as a download rig at nights but during the day, a web browsing machine, a machine for hi-def content and for general usage.

For a 24X7 download,hi-def content and for general usage, if you consider dual core in Intel like E5400/5300 with Gigabyte G41MT-ES2L DDR3 @ total cost of near about 3000+3300=6300.

And in AMD Athlon II X2 240/245 paired with Biostar TA785G3 DDR3 at total cost of 2950+3650=6600/- Both above Intel / AMD DDR3 setup can do excellent job.

Some really good suggestions here. Thanks ShahJahan.

Okay, so now, with my usage and if we bring in the OS, which in my case, will be Windows 7 Ultimate x64, which will be faster and most VFM?

What is the rated speeds of the X2 240 and 245?

I don't think I will ever utilise all the cores efficiently given my usage. So this suggestion by ShahJahan does make sense.

Now to finalize the components. Please see me through.

Back