Come and get it: Fedora Laptop for $150

4dh1r

Adept
Would you try a $150 laptop powered by Fedora? Sure you would. And apparently so are a lot of other folks.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/images/celebrityfront.PNGA Swedish company called Medison has unveiled a laptop called the Celebrity. Medison’s laptop is the latest in a race to the bottom of the pricing barrel. Nicholas Negroponte OLPC is one effort and others are also getting into the act.

The laptop is available through a reseller 2Checkout.com.

As for the details: The Celebrity has a 14 inch LCD, an Intel Celeron 1.5 GHz chip, a 40 GB hard drive, 256 MB of memory. Linux and office applications.
More details and the full article can be found here
Now the deal seems to be authentic and I found out that the shipping countries list includes India.

So anyone willing to put $150 for experiment??? :p

Attachments

• celebrityfront.png
    celebrityfront.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 182
adhirk said:
Now the deal seems to be authentic and I found out that the shipping countries list includes India.
So anyone willing to put $150 for experiment??? :p

Many donators on TE can fed in to check out the autenticity of the same :eek:hyeah:
So that no 1 particular person will loose it all.....:tongue: :ashamed:

This looks like a Scam ...............................
By the way any Richie Rich around to buy this & prove is it either a scam or a real deal............

arey its in making....i have seen this news in various site but dont know why they share this pict...most probably it wont have a good display(it might be black or white or calci display...u cant get such displays so cheap..)

Seems that it is taking eternity for the laptop to be delivered to the ZDNet guy... Here's and update:

» The $150 laptop saga: Where’s this mystery laptop? | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com
Here's a gist:
Medison has shipped a first batch of these laptops in mid-July, says a 2Checkout rep. “A few customers have received them,†she says. As an aside, I’d love to hear from the 100 or so of you that have actually received one of these things.

The second shipment has been delayed and the rep didn’t know how much longer it would take. Shipping is still sketchy.

Medison doesn’t have any scale. The 2Checkout.com rep said that these shipments are 100 to 150 laptops at a time. If you assume (optimistically) that Medison takes four to six weeks to ship a batch of 100 laptops your timeline will be something like forever if there are more than 1,000 orders still outstanding. Getting a laptop sometime in 2008 may be a miracle if people actually kept their orders.

I can cancel my order at any time, says 2Checkout, which sounds resigned to hearing about a lot of cancellations. “It’s up to you what you want to do,†says the rep.

Back