PC Peripherals Comment on this rig (Main purpose running VM's for training)

Parix

Disciple
Hi, I am building a rig which will be shared amongst some of my friends, basically for running virtual machines for training ,testing and learning.

C2Q 2.4 GHZ Q6600
Mother Board INTEL DG35EC
RAM Transcend DDR2 800Mhz 4 GB
HDD 500GB seagate \ WD
DVD Writer Samsung sata 22x
Keyboard & mouse
Monitor LCD 22" Samsung
Cabinet -- any generic
PowerSupply -- cooler master 390W \ VIP 400 W
Any generic UPS 600 - 650VA

Let me know if this is ok.. was worried about the mobo choices..
also please comment if anyone has had any experience in building a comp for this purpose and if you have had any specific issues..
and the OS maybe windows server \ Vista \ xp 64 bit based on what is more suitable or available at the time of building the rig.

was also wondering where to get the best pricing for these components in bangalore.. (S.P road. any specific shop name would do)

thanks

1. how many VM's will this machine hold (loaded and running)
2. VMWare ? MS Virtual Server ?
3. Will u use other PC's to connect to VM's over network ? or will u use the same machine

How much memory will each VM require. For simple surfing 256M may suffice but for using development tools you may require 1 GB or more. However only the VMs active at the same time will use up your 4GB memory.

we are planning to host about 4 - 5 VM's on this each with about 512MB - 1 GB ram based on the type of machine running...

our plan is to set up a virtual server infrastructure of sorts i.e AD, Exchange, and database computers to simulate and demonstrate interactions between servers in an environment.. and to test out some software..

currently we are looking at MS virtual server, as many VMDK's are available readily, however if this does not scale we need to maybe look at VMWare.

and yes another question, can i map the single network card for use by all machines.. in case i want other PC's in the house to connect to this.

Back