Compaq Laptop OS Query...

St.John

Disciple
I have a Compaq C752TU Laptop (purchased in 2008, Specs are C2D T5450, 1.66 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Intel GMA 3100 Gfx). It came with Vista Basic (which was crappy) inbuilt, which I upgraded to Vista Ultimate by a HP OEM disc that I got my hands on from my one of my pals in HP :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:. Since my laptop came with SLIC 2.0 and SLP/certificates for Vista (all versions) Windows recognized it as Genuine :p:p.

Now my query is that I find myself in possesion of an HP OEM Windows 7 Ultimate disc (Compaq only), courtesy the same guy. The problem is OEM validation for windows 7 requires SLIC 2.1 and accompanying SLP/certificates, He said that by a BIOS upgrade available through HP, my BIOS can be upgraded to 2.1, but sadly no such upgrade was was released for the C700 series of Compaq Laptops :mad::mad:... He told me that he uses the same disc to repair any laptop that they get the HP customer service and has faced no issues even after people use Windows Update.

Should I use HP Disc or not? I am perfectly fine with Vista as well, but really don't want to spend 9 Grands on an OS :hap5::hap5:...

Buddy try out in a virtual machine.
I guess if the BIOS wont support it the fresh installation wont start off in the first place.

Else had I laid my hands on such a disk. I would have saved my windows drive as a VHD or made a complete backup of it using acronis disk backup and pushed in the update or a fresh installation.

made a backup and installed Windows 7 without a glitch. Runs perfect with microsoft recognizing it as genuine. So i guess the hoopla surrounding slic isnt that great afterall.
Thanx sgx for your input.

Back