Comparison - Laptop vs Desktop

pritam79

Disciple
hi everyone,

I have a desktop now. I want to buy a laptop but many say that a desktop having the same configuration (H/W) as a laptop is more powerful than the laptop. Is that true?

Re: Comparion

pritam79 said:
desktop having the same configuration (H/W) as a laptop is more powerful than the laptop
With same hardware they would be similarly powerful.....
But a laptop is more space / weight /temp / power constrained so would cost far more than similar specced desktop

Mid range laptops r equally powerful in terms of processing power if compared to desktop.But in desktops its easy and cheap to replace components like motherboard,processor etc.Laptops have advantage of portability and current laptops r powerful enough for everyday computing,HD media playback,Casual gaming,To run Productivity applications.I would recommend Laptop i u want to keep it for around 3 years.u will find a decent laptop for 30-35k.

You can find a laptop with Core i-3+4GB RAM+ 500GB HDD and entry level GPU like for HD5470 for abt ~35-40k. That should suffice for many.

But when it comes to sheer power, number crunching and gaming, laptops can come no way near a desky. But as ppl say it has got its own advantages like portability.

So if u want portability then laptop else get a desktop.

Remember in case of GPU the desktop and laptop ones are different though it has same name.

For example a mobile HD5870 GPU is not equivalent to a desktop one. A mobile HD5870=~ desktop HD5750. So keep this in mind while comparing them.

using laptops exclusively for last 8 years, cant imagine going back to desktop, other then a download rig.

If you Game a lot and want to play the latest games at Full HD resolution, it will be better to stick with a desktop and if you are not into serious gaming stuff and just use your pc for movies,music,browsing net,documents,occasional gaming then a laptop will be a much better choice as you get portability and convenience of using your laptop on your bed,sofa etc..

But laptop is great over a desktop cause it need low space, many features and more accessories are now available so it worth.......!!!

There are three advantages of a laptop over a desktop; the convenience of portability, the reduced space consumption and lower power consumption. If any of these are very important to you go for a laptop. If you want to compare for any other parameter, for the same amount of money a desktop will outperform a laptop or putting it another way, for the same processing power a desktop will cost less than a laptop.

After all that has been said by others above, there is one factor that you should not loose sight of. If you are going to use it for extended periods, using a laptop presents occupational health hazards if used by itself. To deal with these hazards requires you to use external keyboard and mouse at least if not a monitor as well. As you add those on, you are losing some important advantages of the laptop.

Conclusions: If portability is a must or if you do not have space at home for a desktop then a laptop is your only choice and there is no debate. If not, then look at the pros and cons carefully and decide what is right for you.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

stalker said:
ermm that means you need to update your siggy? :S
good catch :)

To add to What Emil said. You may end up investing in a docking station if you use it at the same place over prolonged period, especially if you use it on a table. I find my laptop to be more convenient as I can use it on my bed or even in the kitchen to play songs when I am cooking :p

stalker said:
ermm that means you need to update your siggy? :S
Or maybe thats his Download Rig. Can't Imagine what the laptop would be ;)

motorheadinc said:
Or maybe thats his Download Rig. Can't Imagine what the laptop would be ;)
its an asus i7, in a great shape a $2300 warlord.

The desktop is only used as a NAS to stream multimedia content.

If I want to play games like MW2, Assassins Creed 2 etc. I have no choice but to buy a desktop?

I had an Alienware laptop planned for myself, but if I wont be able to game on it then i rather drop the idea. (A self-configured M15x for around $1500)

Back