Budget 31-40k Complete mild gaming rig for my 6yr old kid

rsjaurr

Disciple
Guys I'm looking for complete desktop for my 6 year old kid who doesn't want a laptop.(strange we all wanted to upgrade to laptop hardly 7-8years ago).Recetly has taken over to serious gaming after he started with ipod touch couple of years back and now even playbook and android games do not interest him much.
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • nothing except two old agp based cards and kingston 512 MB 400FSB DDRRAM
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • want everything within that budget
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • I guess AMD based would be better coz of vfm tag
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Just two parts I can think of upgrade in near future..more RAM and video card which I can get from states easily.oh..I will definitely add blu ray burner within next 3-4 months.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Amritsar or locally from Gurdaspur
    • Open to online purchase--very much
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming--mostly by id
    • Browsing--sometime by me
    • Desktop Processing---hardly ever
    • HTPC--yup i got so many dvd and bd
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation---some time
    • Watching HD movies--mostly by my wife and kid..thats why I want full HD monitor.I do have full HD LED tv with Panasonic BDP and its totally different experience than a SD tv.
    • Ripping audio cd for my ICE
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Racing - mainly by my kid
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1280x728
    2. Desktop - full HD
    3. Movies-- full HD
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • may try
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Windows 8 64bit

Guys I'm looking for complete desktop for my 6 year old kid who doesn't want a laptop.(strange we all wanted to upgrade to laptop hardly 7-8years ago).Recetly has taken over to serious gaming after he started with ipod touch couple of years back and now even playbook and android games do not interest him much.
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • nothing except two old agp based cards and kingston 512 MB 400FSB DDRRAM
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • want everything within that budget
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • I guess AMD based would be better coz of vfm tag
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Just two parts I can think of upgrade in near future..more RAM and video card which I can get from states easily.oh..I will definitely add blu ray burner within next 3-4 months.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Amritsar or locally from Gurdaspur
    • Open to online purchase--very much
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming--mostly by id
    • Browsing--sometime by me
    • Desktop Processing---hardly ever
    • HTPC--yup i got so many dvd and bd
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation---some time
    • Watching HD movies--mostly by my wife and kid..thats why I want full HD monitor.I do have full HD LED tv with Panasonic BDP and its totally different experience than a SD tv.
    • Ripping audio cd for my ICE
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Racing - mainly by my kid
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1280x728
    2. Desktop - full HD
    3. Movies-- full HD
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • may try
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Windows 8 64bit

Intel Core i5 3550 -8500
Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H -4000
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz -3800
Sapphire HD7770 1GB -8250
Corsair GS500 -3900
Dell 22" ST2220L LED -8000
Logitech Gaming Combo G100 -1600
WD Blue 500GB -3800
Logitech Z 313 2.1 -1600
Asus24B5ST DVD-RW -1150
TOTAL -44,440.

@bssunil you forgot to mention cabinet and don't you think that i5 is overkill and i3 is sufficient for OP requirement.
@rsjaurr

Intel config:
Intel i3 3220 - 7k
NZXT Source 210 Elite -2.9k
rest all suggested by bssunil

AMD Config:
Processor AMD FX4100 - 7k
Mobo Asus M5A97 - 7k
rest same

Don't go for overclocking unless you have good cabinet, PSU, after market CPU cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
He already has PS2 x 2years and I would probably buy him PS4 once it is released.I did not buy him PS3 as he did not know how to play games nor he could read games menu. Desktop will have multiple usages as I mentioned before, primary being kid games.
Can I have some AMD based suggestions?
How about the idea of using AMD A10-5800K for next 1-2 years and then switching to higher end cpu+mobo+gpu,rest being same?

BTW I do have Lite-on dvd writer and a 3.5" external HDD and 3 2.5" external HDD which I can use.

Let's think "out of the box"

Processor: AMD A10-5800K Trinity ....... Rs 8514
[Check it out for 2-3 months as you may not have to buy a separate GPU AT ALL as the Integrated Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7660D is good enough for even advanced kiddo gaming]
Motherboard : ASRock FM2A55M-DGS Motherboard ...... Rs 4252
....... [Need suggestions as to availability of Asus/Gigabyte Socket FM2 boards]

TOTAL = Rs 12776 for the core components & no need for a discrete GPU :)

CABINET : Bitfenix Prodigy -Rs 6995
....[the above is suggested if OP & the kiddo would love looks too]
product details
If you like this cabby - I will try to direct you to the dealer from Vashi, Mumbai (can't remember it right now)

PSU - Antec - 2 models priced at 1836 & 2600
..... Chose any one
Options - Corsair CX 430W or VS450

TOTALS (thus far) ..... Rs 21607/- :woot:

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz - 3800
MONITOR: Dell 22" ST2220L LED - 8000
KEYBOARD + MOUSE : Logitech Gaming Combo G100 -1600
HDD : Seagate 1TB ..... Rs 4030 or 2TB....Rs 5660 (both are 7200 rpm drives)
SPEAKERS: Logitech Z 313 2.1 -1600
DVD: Asus24B5ST DVD-RW -1150

GRAND TOTAL: Rs 37987............ :woot::):rolleyes:
(Note: HDD 1 TB & PSU Antec lower priced one were considered..... There is also a possibility of prices being +/- based on available stocks + where you buy it from.

The above system will have great looks + superb performance

Enjoy
Terry

He already has PS2 x 2years and I would probably buy him PS4 once it is released.I did not buy him PS3 as he did not know how to play games nor he could read games menu. Desktop will have multiple usages as I mentioned before, primary being kid games.
Can I have some AMD based suggestions?
How about the idea of using AMD A10-5800K for next 1-2 years and then switching to higher end cpu+mobo+gpu,rest being same?

BTW I do have Lite-on dvd writer and a 3.5" external HDD and 3 2.5" external HDD which I can use.

Let's see what we can do with the money saved from the above. I still think that for a "desktop" PC you will always need an internal HDD..... so may be the fastest small capacity drive ? Lemme think & get back by tomorrow morning

;)
G'night
Terry[DOUBLEPOST=1365162228][/DOUBLEPOST]@rsjaurr ^ all the rest - Please read this excellent article on "OPTIMISING AMD TRINITY FOR BUDGET GAMING" .... this is researched and verified by America's Top custom PC-Builder - Puget Systems

Amazing stuff guys!! Thanks a ton for your inputs so far.

I'm going to use 500GB internal HDD and will use my 3-4 external HDDs for storage. etc.

Even though kiddo would love to have that cabinet but he would prefer to buy bigger monitor (22") than this cabinet.
And isn't 4GB of RAM enough for today's low medium set up?(I had 128MB RAM for my desktop:D )

@rsjaurr

Yes, 4GB RAM is enough for today's low medium games.

If possible or budget allows, use Asus F2A85-M PRO or Gigabyte A85 chipset with AMD A10-5800k, then I will say that you don't have to think to change your desktop for next 3-4 years, as it provides, USB3.0 and SATA III.

After few years, if there is need for more cpu power you can change to A10-6800k and add GPU.

I'm going to use 500GB internal HDD and will use my 3-4 external HDDs for storage. etc.

Even though kiddo would love to have that cabinet but he would prefer to buy bigger monitor (22") than this cabinet.
And isn't 4GB of RAM enough for today's low medium set up?(I had 128MB RAM for my desktop:D )

Ok let's re-work on some things
1] Cabinet -new options :)
Antec X1 Gaming Cabinet with front red led - Rs 2450
NZXT Source 210 Black with Window Mid Tower Case - Rs 3250
NZXT Gamma Mid tower - Rs 2450
Note: All the above come with only 1 fan. You need to at least 2 more fans (120mm) so that you will get the best cooling inside your system - This is a pack of 4 fans at Rs 775/- qood quality & excellent pricing
NOTE: Your son can yet have that 22" full HD monitor :D

2] RAM - I will still insist on a minimum of 8GB RAM
I presume you will install Windows 7/8 as your OS + have an Antivirus+Firewall (with parental protection) + you have to allocate the maximum possible RAM (at least 1GB) for your iGPU (the integrated Radeon 7660D). Also remember that most of todays & tomorrows games/softwares are resource hoggers.

Also note that if you want the best performance from this processor A10-5800K - then pay special attention to RAM speeds (nothing lesser than 1600 to 1866MHz), 1366 will result in under performance. The Equation "Faster RAM = Good Graphics" for this processor. There are scores of articles on the net to corroborate this fact.
So this is what I recommend
G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 X 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz ... Rs 4710

Ciao
Terry

ok guys I'm back again. I had some more important things to do and so this rig was postponed. But now I would like to buy everything within couple of days. Budget is at max 40k and I have only Lite-on dvd drive and need everything else from processor to UPS. Now I'm interested in haswell i5 with external graphic card. Please suggest some options within above mentioned budget ASAP.

ok guys I'm back again. I had some more important things to do and so this rig was postponed. But now I would like to buy everything within couple of days. Budget is at max 40k and I have only Lite-on dvd drive and need everything else from processor to UPS. Now I'm interested in haswell i5 with external graphic card. Please suggest some options within above mentioned budget ASAP.

Welcome back. The WORLD has indeed changed since we last suggested a build :rolleyes: and Miss Haswell is out and she has caught your eye :joyful:
With Haswell - your budget will shoot up to 60-80k (inclusive of a discrete GPU & UPS) - So is this acceptable to you?

Option AMD A10-6800K ~ 9350/- the Richland APU which has enough juice to handle most games + function as a fantastic HTPC & NO-NEED for a discrete GPU [you can add it later if you still feel the need]
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 Motherboard ~ 9899/- [FM2 board]

Check out availability at smcinternational - new delhi [website not available right now ....dunno why]

Or
Intel Haswell
i5-4430 ~ 12125/- [no OCing]
[The onboard iGPU is also sufficient for gaming]

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) Motherboard ~ 8125/-

With Haswell - your budget will shoot up to 60-80k (inclusive of a discrete GPU & UPS) - So is this acceptable to you?

Option AMD A10-6800K ~ 9350/- the Richland APU which has enough juice to handle most games + function as a fantastic HTPC & NO-NEED for a discrete GPU [you can add it later if you still feel the need]
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 Motherboard ~ 9899/- [FM2 board]

Check out availability at smcinternational - new delhi [website not available right now ....dunno why]

Or
Intel Haswell
i5-4430 ~ 12125/- [no OCing]
[The onboard iGPU is also sufficient for gaming]

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) Motherboard ~ 8125/-

You are right about the budget.I guess A10-6800 would be good as of now.But why this expensive MB when cheaper options are available like F2A 55?
Any other change in the cabinet/PSU etc?
And any idea when smc will be up awake and running?

@vvvinashhh:- He does play outdoor games but kids of modern era do demands these things too.
BTW watching TV/LCD screen wont make anyone to wear glasses.How do I know...well I'm a doctor myself.lol

For gaming, a G2010 + 6670/7750/GT 640 (3.5k + ~6k) would walk all over the A10 6800K : http://www.anandtech.com/show/7032/...-gpu-on-the-desktop-radeon-hd-8670d-hd-4600/2. You don't need a quad core i5 or Haswell when the money would be better spent on the GPU.

In the referenced link is a comparision of Haswell vs Richland. I do not see the G2010 anywhere. Moreover the GT640 has been paired with 4770k !!

Even if we compare GT 640 (on a G2010) vs Radeon HD 8670 (A10-6800) - price-performance gains (if any) are all offsetted by compromising on older technology [DDR3 vs DDR5], lower memory clock speed, need for a 500/520W PSU.....
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-8670-vs-GeForce-GT-640

This is one helluva comprehensive review for the 6800K (unfortunately the G2010 is not included - rather the i3-3225 is compared as its similarly priced).

Besides I am not recommending the Haswell at all & neither a discrete GPU (since it doesn't fit in OP's budget).

You are right about the budget.I guess A10-6800 would be good as of now.But why this expensive MB when cheaper options are available like F2A 55?

I was unable to check the availability of other boards. The Giga board that I recommended is - excellent for it's build quality & features.

smcinternational is BACK ONLINE - here are some FM2 boards for the A10-6800k. They have only 1 giga board and rest are all MSI.[DOUBLEPOST=1372135619][/DOUBLEPOST]Take your pick from Cabinets - BEST PC CASES

In the referenced link is a comparision of Haswell vs Richland. I do not see the G2010 anywhere. Moreover the GT640 has been paired with 4770k !!
Have a look at the 4770k with IGP vs 4770k with GT640. The CPU plays a minor role.

Even if we compare GT 640 (on a G2010) vs Radeon HD 8670 (A10-6800) - price-performance gains (if any) are all offsetted by compromising on older technology [DDR3 vs DDR5], lower memory clock speed, need for a 500/520W PSU.....
The A10 uses DDR3 memory. A lower mem clock speed would actually save costs - a 2133MHz 8GB kit costs 2k more than a 1600MHz kit. TDP of the G2010 (55W - practically a lot lower) + GT640 (65W) = 120W. TDP of the A10 6800K = 100W. I'm not sure a 20W increase would warrant a 520W PSU.

Besides I am not recommending a discrete GPU (since it doesn't fit in OP's budget).
Why not? The A10 and the G2010 + GT640 both cost ~9.5k.

Have a look at the 4770k with IGP vs 4770k with GT640.

Gone thru anandtech's review multiple times & maybe I am missing something o_O

Why are we comparing the 4770k :arghh:

I thought we are looking at G2010 + GT640 + (mobo) which will come to around 15K
vs
A10-6800k & an MSI board - again fitting it within 15k or lesser.

Frankly, I am at a loss & what I have seen from most "benchmarks & reviews" am convinced that the Richland APU is the "best-option" for OP's needs.

I was an AMD fanboi a long time ago - however today, I'd rather go with whichever gives maximum 'bang-for-the-buck' at any given point of time.

Why are we comparing the 4770k :arghh:
We are not comparing CPUs, we are comparing GPUs. The 4770K with GT640 is a huge boost over the 4770K with IGP. Which means the 4770K isn't the contributing factor, the GPU is. Pair up a good GPU with a cheap Intel CPU and you have the same advantage over any AMD APU.[DOUBLEPOST=1372158520][/DOUBLEPOST]
I thought we are looking at G2010 + GT640 + (mobo) which will come to around 15K
vs
A10-6800k & an MSI board - again fitting it within 15k or lesser.
G2010 - 3.5k
Gigabyte H61M-S1 - 3k
4GB 1333MHz RAM - 2.1k
AMD 7750 - 6.8k
Total : 15.4k

A10 6800K - 9.3k
MSI A55M-E33 - 3k
4GB 2133MHz RAM -3k (+ needs another stick for dual channel, else bandwidth drops again, can't find 2 x 2GB 2133MHz kit)
Total - 15.3k

Let me know which setup you think would perform faster in gaming ;)

We are not comparing CPUs, we are comparing GPUs. The 4770K with GT640 is a huge boost over the 4770K with IGP. Which means the 4770K isn't the contributing factor, the GPU is. Pair up a good GPU with a cheap Intel CPU and you have the same advantage over any AMD APU.[DOUBLEPOST=1372158520][/DOUBLEPOST]
G2010 - 3.5k
Gigabyte H61M-S1 - 3k
4GB 1333MHz RAM - 2.1k
AMD 7750 - 6.8k
Total : 15.4k

A10 6800K - 9.3k
MSI A55M-E33 - 3k
4GB 2133MHz RAM -3k (+ needs another stick for dual channel, else bandwidth drops again, can't find 2 x 2GB 2133MHz kit)
Total - 15.3k

Let me know which setup you think would perform faster in gaming ;)

Dunno matey.... my brains are all frazzled up :drowning: BUT, I accept your reasoning and logic :happy:

Now, how I wish there was a comparative (synthetic at least) benchmarking tool/site - where we can feed in the precise details of the components we wish to 'compare' [exact test-bench] and then see the ratings/performance....... and as they say "doodh ka doodh aur paani ka ..... " :finger:

Back