Computer acting like it's low on RAM?

Hi.

I have this delicate issue where my computer has suddenly started acting like it's constantly running out of RAM/memory.

I have really tried to recognize a pattern to its behavior, but I really cannot find it.

Usually it happens when I use heavy programs, but not always.

It's hard to explain, let me give an example.

Let's say I launch a game through Steam… Dota 2 for example. This is rather RAM heavy obviously, so I guess it’s a good start.

Firstly, the game will launch and everything will work fine. Not long after, the game will freeze completely, as if my RAM capacity was breached.
A few seconds later, my entire PC will freeze. It will un-freeze after 3-6 minutes usually, but will go back to frozen right after.

What is funny however is that if I have Skype or Discord open in the background when it freezes, I can still hear and speak with people, as the program itself works all fine.
… Unless I start clicking around and hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL, then everything crashes completely.

Now, this can also happen whenever I just browse using Chrome.
Usually it starts with my internet connecting ending, and then my computer freezing up.

It can also happen whenever I play a 1080p movie using VLC.

Man… I don’t know why it has started acting like this…
And yes, that’s the thing, this only started happening a few months back, and I have literally no idea why. I even bought a brand new SSD and more RAM, but to no avail.

It sucks a lot that I just cannot pin point the problem…
It's impossible for me alone to do this, no matter how many hours I've tried figuring it out.

So please, if anything comes to mind, help me out here.

I would hate to spend $100 just for someone to look at it and go "Oh your CPU is busted" or something like that.

I will add a Speccy link here so you all can view my rig.

Thanks!!!

SPECCY: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qQOwSyba3uqPaNyQKSMxRae

Check if your hard drive is fine. Run a test on it.

Run tests on your RAM.

Look in Task Manager to see what processes are eating up RAM or CPU. That will give a hint at whats going on. It might be because of a heavy process, and yes, malware can be a problem too. Which antivirus do you have? Run a full system scan.

Looking at the specs, i can say its either of two things:

1 - Graphics card has bad drivers installed. Or Gpu is failing. i've seen this happen on Intel integrated graphics with everything freezing including mouse and only audio playing in a movie. After a minute the system would crash. Turned out the graphics drivers were the main reason. Install the original gpu drivers and don't install the windows drivers and see if the problem persists.

2 - Cpu is throttling. How are cpu temps? maybe the cpu paste requires a change.

Check your ssd/hdd health. Dont go by their tools, use HDTUNE and Hard Disk Sentinel and do all scanning and post it here.

Secondly when the oc freezes immediately Ctrl alt del and see which process is using max ram or cpu.

Turn of search indexing and Windows update temporarily.

Be sure you got no adware spyware hidden inside windows processes. Look suspicious stuff in windows startup via registry.

Do you have adequate cooling around your VRM's? Your CPU can be a bit demanding with power consumption, and can cause some strange issues, especially on an older board.

Lastly, update all your system drivers if possible to see if that resolves the conflict... Looks like there might be an updated GPU driver available for you.

Sounds like a faulty RAM module.
Run a full Memtest, at least 3 full passes to be sure.

Also remove all modules except the new ones you bought and see if the issues persist.

Hdd/SSD looks to be the culprit most likely. If ram is bad system will crash and wont come back. If you can hear sound in background of SKype then CPU is not throttling. If it comes back after 3-5 mins most likely there is overhead on HDD/SSD which is causing the lock-ups.

Back