PC Peripherals Computer chair reducing SEVERE BACKACHE - NECK ACHE...!!!

sunandoghosh

Disciple
Computer chair reducing SEVERE BACKACHE - NECK ACHE...!!!

Hi everyone,

ALthough this may appear humourous to some people but i really need some people.

These days I have to sit on computers for 12-16 hours daily (I am not a geek but still almost all work is done through computer).

I also stay at home most of times as our company follows free work policy whereby u need to come to office when u really need some support. Else all they want is work delivered be it from home.

I never noticed and continued using same ordinary chair which was there in my house which must have been purchased i believe 15 - 20 years back.

Someone suggested me to chnage my chair.

But when i visited few shops i saw that every shopkeeper is trying to say whatever chair he has in his shop as computer chair and the best. I am utterly confused and unable to decide at all.

IF ANYONE HAS A PRACTICAL SELF APPLIED IDEA OF WHICH CHAIR IS MOST SUITABLE AND MAY BE AN ONLINE SITE WHERE I CAN SEE ITS PHOTO OR SPECIFICATIONS BEFORE PURCHASING.

Please suggest which chair should i purchase.

I know I may be sounding humourous to many but those few who understand my problem, please advice / suggest.

I am from Kolkata India.

Thanks and regards,

sunando

sunandoghosh at rediffmail dot com

Your thread titles sure are funny :eek:hyeah:

Well, just like it is with buying speakers, never buy a chair before trying it out. See if it offers proper support to lower back, neck. Whether it has arm rests at proper height. The height of the chair should be adjustable.

Also, it is not advisable to sit in front of PC for more than couple of hours continuosly.

A good chair is very very important. i myself was having trouble with my old chair and had severe back pains. The best way to choose a chair is to sit and tryout each of them and see if it hugs your back well and supports you lower back . a good chair should cost you around 2.5-3.5k. I have a chair from Zuari and i love it. it totally hugs my back. its not reclining, its fixed but the back of the chair is opported by a hinge sort of thing which allows it to move as the angle of my back changes, always sticking to my back.

so

> check for backup ;)
> see the build quality, does it look like its worth spenging 3k
> "moulded wheels"(all plastic) are always a very good option. generally chairs have metal-plastic joints in the wheels. thats not very durable.
> get a chair with a 5 wheel base. its more stable and makes the chair more durable. it also makes floating around on the chair smooth.
> get a chair with hydraulic lift.
> arm-rest very important.
> dont compromise, get a good chair. your body will thank you.

HI FIRST OF ALL THANKS SO SO MUCH FOR THE REPLIES AND CONCERN...

:)

i am ready to spend 1k - 3 or may be even 4 k but please suggest me which company and which model and which is available in India. Trust me i did visit many computer furniture shops and everyone says their product is best.

I am looking for a genuine sincere unbiased opinion which i am sure people can give in forum like this as unlike shopkeeper people here are helpful and have no biasness or self hidden interest.

Infact many decisions on hardware have been taken by me entirly on basis of replies here.

So i urge again please say me what is best in ur opinion:

CONSIDERING

A. my budget is 1000-3000 Rs can be stretched if there is really nice chair available at a bit more cost.

B. Assuming I work on 14-16 hours daily and continue to do so for another 6 months at least.

C. Considering that my height is 5 10 and weight 80 kgs.

D. The chair should be available in India. (better if available in Kolkata)

E. It should be preferably a class product like ANtec for SMPS; Intel for processor; APC for UPS; google for search;

I know all may be sounding a bit weired but please specify which company and which model number.

pleaseeeee :huh: :huh: :huh:

regards

Well a good computer chair on which you would spend abt 10+ hours will cost you around 4K to 5K... Go through some models of godrej and featherlite... And dont consider Zuari...

Few things to look in a good computer chair...
Lumber back support
Adjustable PU arms
Hydrolic lift
Knee Tilt Mechanism
Neck Support (There are two school of thoughts on these. One who prefers it and one who dont)

Also there is new model by featherlite... The same model i feel is there in every relince web world... It has a Mesh back intead of fabric/Pu/Leather so that air can pass through the back and you dont feel sweaty even after sitting for hours.

You dont necessarialy need to buy the godrej or featherlite models. You can choose the chair and get it made locally. Actually every part is made by differnt company much like computers and then Godrej/Featherlite just amssemble the parts and sell it.

Also i am against Zuari cause they are not manufactured in india but bought from malasyia and then sold here. If anything goes wrong in the chair it is not repairable.

Hope this helped.

i usea godrej chair.. got an unbranded one before that but started giving back aches after a couple of hours so exchanged and topped up for a godrej.

very comfortable and good posture but the material sucks.. not absorbant and makes your back sweaty .. usually throw a towel on top before using

Hi

I really feel overwhelmed with the kind of support and concern which i am getting here...from people who r truly speaking uknown...it reinforces my faith in humanity which is at times shaken in real world...thanks people...

As i always said and continue to say I am truly a non technical person (also lacking general common sense)...my brain is only meant for finance jobs and thats why i have to use computer system extensively to analyze and play with numbers every sort...be it cost accounting; financial accounting; tax planning etc etc....

Since my technical knowledge is fairly limited including that of computers or for that matter anything other than core finance...I generally prefer branded items even though i may have to pay higher price as it gives me confidence and comfort level...

Thats the precise reason why i purchased antec smps; apc ups; intel processor; hp printer and even Cds that i use are sony not say amkette etc...bcz i firmly believe that -

"if brands live by brands; they also die same manner"

meaning that if a brand commands a premium in terms of higher price; it will perish also if its not able to deliver a desired standard.

Why I am saying all these is that its truly beyond my ability to judge which chair suits me most (and i know its very unhealthy of me but still) and therefore what i am asking u people (who have far more knowledge say in this chair thing than me) to suggest me two three partcular good models so that I can make a final choice out of those 2 or 3.

Its not that I dont want to put effort in selecting or make my decisions or that I am shifting responsibility but its because i truly am dumbo when to comes to hardware; computer parts; electrical fittings; or now computer chair.

I have invariably always messed up and dont want to repeat.

From the replies of all knowledgeable members here; GODREJ seems to be quite a reputable brand and therefore I believe i would be safe in going ahead with it.

I did visit the godrej link...but there are so many chairs in so many series even for "intensive task seating" ...that it totally confuses me...

I please urge u people to help me out in deciding which one will suit me based on my needs said above.

I understand that what u suggest is a mere suggestion and ultimately its my responsibilty to decide and take decision. But still i urge to help me to narrow my choices to two or three so that i can decide finally.

Saying thanks again would be lessening the sincereity and significance of the incredible help i am receiving here...

regards

sunando

Okay okay m8 ;) chill down. your our own.

on a second thought, i too am not satisfied with the build quality of Zuari, in fact i think its rather bad. the seat is horrible with you feeling like your ass has totally dissppeared after a 5 hour session. But i REALLY liked the back thing.

Also i suggest you get yourself one of those mats of small wooden or plastic beads. That helps to improve blood circulation to your ass and prevents flattening since your smallest shifting will ... like massage your butt. and its looks cool anyway.

thanks for so much emphasis on butt comfort :eek:hyeah:

no jokes apart u have made a very very valid point my dear friend...

but still u have not said or for that any one on this forum about few may be 3-4 best models of say GODREJ out of which i can make choices...

as i affirm i am a ultimate dumbo :rofl: at things other than finance numbers ..

so please please please suggest me few best models from godrej or other comparable companies...and out of few u say...i will make a choice...pleaseee

i am not at all going to look outside other than 3-4 models suggested here and will make a choice among 3-4 suggested here....
the point is even if i make a bad choice....atleast i still will be making among 3-4 models suggested by you people so that its still good if not best.....

Don't forget to post your decision here. I will buy the same chair for myself too, thanks for bringing the issue up!

i would suggest to take break every hour so that u can have some change and ur eyes can relax. dont strain too much by sitting too long. the eyes are precious and so is ur health, always take short breaks :)

Hey sunandoghosh, I searched for half an hour for godrej furniture showroom in Kolkata, without any success. Do you have any idea?

I just called them. The price of eden is more than 30000(or maybe 13000?) and ultima exceed is 12500.
Obviously I can't afford them. Any other suggestions?

Back