Computer Restarting in a loop

himakanth009

Disciple
Hi All,

My friend has recently installed Bitdefender antivirus. He has done registry cleaning and disk defragmentation. He has shutdown the system. when he started it again it is going on restarting. It is not even loading windows. As soon as the motherboard name appears it again restarts. The windows screen is no where to be seen. Not even safe mode or any other options. Please help me fix this.

This is a p4 processor with Mercury mobo. I have tried to repair it by using xp Cd and changing in the bios to install from CD, but nothhing is happening.

Thanks in Advance,

do something very basic here.......
disconnect everything , no dvd drive , no cd drive , no floppy drive , no hard drive , no pci cards - nothing......

just the board / ram / cpu setup with the display and check if it goes in the same reboot loop....
-if yes , then change psu and check again.....
- still if yes , then reset processor and check for proper cooling on the processor
- still if yes then board kaput

if the system stays stable enuf with the barebones setup then - attach the external devices / hdd one by one and try......

- if it starts to reboot at a level , stop there and change psu and check if it redoes the same thing.....
- yes , the last hardware connected is at fault.
- no, the PSU needs a change....

most probabily seems like a faulty PSU / board out here.
^above senario for any hardware fault......

- For any OS related issue - try doing a clean reinstall of the OS on another parition or another folder.

I would try the above given suggestions. I would also like to add that the computer was working fine untill I used the registry cleaning option in BD antivirus. I think it must have deleted some critical regisrty's. It did not shutdown suddenly. I only shut it down and when I tried to start it again the following thing happened.

himakanth009 said:
I would try the above given suggestions. I would also like to add that the computer was working fine untill I used the registry cleaning option in BD antivirus. I think it must have deleted some critical regisrty's. It did not shutdown suddenly. I only shut it down and when I tried to start it again the following thing happened.

if u sure abt that then all u have to do is disconnect the hard drive and boot up the pc the pc should come to a halt searching for a boot device and give the error of no boot device blah blah blah......

I think it is not a hardware issue.It is a software issue dude..

Press f8 when u restart and select Safe mode...

Go to start-run-msconfig and disable all startup items.

Restart and check..

himakanth009 said:
As soon as the motherboard name appears it again restarts. The windows screen is no where to be seen. Not even safe mode or any other options. Please help me fix this.

This is a p4 processor with Mercury mobo. I have tried to repair it by using xp Cd and changing in the bios to install from CD, but nothhing is happening.

Thanks in Advance,

rocky_pratik said:

Restart and check..

:S :S :S give it a shot and try though , u never know...

Dude if are able to go to Bios..Set settings to default and select CDrom as 1st boot device and try to boot from Windows XP cd and try chkdsk /r from recovery console.

rocky_pratik said:

Restart and check..

dood he's not even able to see advanced startup options...He has mentioned..:)

Try out hanzy's suggestion&as well sei's

Hi Guys, Thanks for all ur suggestions...
I tried to repair it using Win Xp installation CD...But the CD is not even getting detected, after changing different CD's of the same Win XP finally it got detected and I installed a fresh copy in D drive. Now the problem is every time I need to press F8 and choose the second Win Xp as now it has become dual boot system. Otherwise the system without giving the options directly loads the first one and gets stuck showing a black screen. Can I delete the damaged Win Xp which is present in C: without affecting the stability of the system.

himakanth009 said:
Hi Guys, Thanks for all ur suggestions...
I tried to repair it using Win Xp installation CD...But the CD is not even getting detected, after changing different CD's of the same Win XP finally it got detected and I installed a fresh copy in D drive. Now the problem is every time I need to press F8 and choose the second Win Xp as now it has become dual boot system. Otherwise the system without giving the options directly loads the first one and gets stuck showing a black screen. Can I delete the damaged Win Xp which is present in C: without affecting the stability of the system.

this is all u have to go ....

boot up using the F8 key and boot the newly installed OS.

Start > Run > CMD > Go to the root drive of ur 1st OS. i.e C:
Type "edit boot.ini"
Change the /fastdetect to the second option.
Drop the seconds timer to "0"

himakanth009 said:
yes..I have changed boot.ini file.
now it is booting correctly. THANKS for that.
Also Is there any safe way I can uninstall the Win Xp in c:

the OS on ur C: is all kaput now.....and the best and easiest way of uninstall is selecting the windows folder and "Shift+Del".....no worries abt the same....

Also u can delete the "Program Files" folder on the C: and the "Documents and Settings" folder from C: to free up space too...

Ensure u move / copy stuff from ur user account folder from the doc and settings folder.

himakanth009 said:
Hi All,

My friend has recently installed Bitdefender antivirus. He has done registry cleaning and disk defragmentation. He has shutdown the system. when he started it again it is going on restarting. It is not even loading windows. As soon as the motherboard name appears it again restarts. The windows screen is no where to be seen. Not even safe mode or any other options. Please help me fix this.

Thanks in Advance,

debug
-F 200 L1000 0
-A CS:100
xxxx:0100 MOV AX,301
xxxx:0103 MOV BX,200
xxxx:0106 MOV CX,1
xxxx:0109 MOV DX,80

NOTE: Type 80 for the Main hard drive - HD 0, or type 81 for the Second hard drive - HD 1.

xxxx:010C INT 13
xxxx:010E INT 20
xxxx:0110 (Leave this line blank and press the <Enter> key)
-G

The message, Program terminated normally, appears. Turn off the computer by pressing the power button.
On the next startup the hard drive must be partitioned and formatted.

^^ Or you can just format the C drive. Its in now way linked to your fresh Windows installation. But make sure to back up important data from the drive.

^ Instead of the complicated code above, you can just use Windows Partition Manager or Partition Magic :)

Cheers !

~M

mallik said:
^^ Or you can just format the C drive. Its in now way linked to your fresh Windows installation. But make sure to back up important data from the drive.

^ Instead of the complicated code above, you can just use Windows Partition Manager or Partition Magic :)

Cheers !

~M

:O PLEASE DONT !...ATM the boot.ini is ON the C: !!!!

@mallik : his new OS would stop working ! and he would need to go ahead and do a complete reinstallation of the OS all over from scratch.

Back