PC Peripherals Computer shuts down during power cut even with UPS

UPS purchase date has nothing to do with the age/condition of the batteries. Your problem has typical symptoms of a weak/undercharged battery. Check-out the manufacturing date on the box etc to rule out any bad battery related issues.

You can carry out more tests to find out if the UPS really gives out any backup at all. Plugin in 100 watt bulb or a table fan and see if they work on full capacity. Don't plug-in mains supply to the UPS. It'll give you some idea whether the UPS is unable to switch-over or the battery is under-charged.

UPS purchase date has nothing to do with the age/condition of the batteries. Your problem has typical symptoms of a weak/undercharged battery. Check-out the manufacturing date on the box etc to rule out any bad battery related issues.

You can carry out more tests to find out if the UPS really gives out any backup at all. Plugin in 100 watt bulb or a table fan and see if they work on full capacity. Don't plug-in mains supply to the UPS. It'll give you some idea whether the UPS is unable to switch-over or the battery is under-charged.

The quality assurance date is 1st July 2015, so it's not that old...

A technician will visit tomorrow and he said they will change the unit. So hopefully that should solve the problem...

Also have a 850VA home ups, but brand is UTL. Just today have put a 1400W UTL for extra load at home and is yet to be tested.
Previously used an APC 1100W & 650W on the UTL 850VA without any issues. Didnt know then that the home ups/inverter could support the pc without any other extra ups connected. Figured it out only when I spoke to the store guy, who sold it to me. Could always see the wide range in display, but never knew anything about it :p
He told me that my inverter/ups was on wide range by default and that I should keep the power button pressed for few seconds, which would then change it to narrow range. And there it was working without any issues or delays in switching time.
My complete load is:
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE
CM Hyper 212 Evo
Fan controller with 6X 120mm fans
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (X2)
Zotac 760 2GB
Seasonic X-850
Corsair Force 3 60GB
WD 1TB Caviar Green
Seagate Expansion 2TB
LG Dvd Writer
Sony Bravia 32" LCD TV
MEPL X2/5.1
I-Ball 12mp webcam
D-Link 2750U ADSL Modem/Router
Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 2TB

There were no other electrical appliances like fans, tube lights or cfl's and no other load on this inverter/ups.

Please check if there is any similar button to switch to narrow range or some other mode.

Also have a 850VA home ups, but brand is UTL. Just today have put a 1400W UTL for extra load at home and is yet to be tested.
Previously used an APC 1100W & 650W on the UTL 850VA without any issues. Didnt know then that the home ups/inverter could support the pc without any other extra ups connected. Figured it out only when I spoke to the store guy, who sold it to me. Could always see the wide range in display, but never knew anything about it :p
He told me that my inverter/ups was on wide range by default and that I should keep the power button pressed for few seconds, which would then change it to narrow range. And there it was working without any issues or delays in switching time.
My complete load is:
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE
CM Hyper 212 Evo
Fan controller with 6X 120mm fans
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (X2)
Zotac 760 2GB
Seasonic X-850
Corsair Force 3 60GB
WD 1TB Caviar Green
Seagate Expansion 2TB
LG Dvd Writer
Sony Bravia 32" LCD TV
MEPL X2/5.1
I-Ball 12mp webcam
D-Link 2750U ADSL Modem/Router
Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 2TB

There were no other electrical appliances like fans, tube lights or cfl's and no other load on this inverter/ups.

Please check if there is any similar button to switch to narrow range or some other mode.

I think wide range is between 100 - 300 VA and narrow is between 180 - 260 VA for my Microtek Inverter. Tried it but it still wasn't able to support the PC when a game was playing. It was able to support when PC was idle though...

I think wide range is between 100 - 300 VA and narrow is between 180 - 260 VA for my Microtek Inverter. Tried it but it still wasn't able to support the PC when a game was playing. It was able to support when PC was idle though...
I too have a microtek heritage gold 625va ups. It does happen to me sometimes that under load if the light goes off. The computer just restarts. Don't know what the problem is as it is difficult to replicate. While my configuration is:

Cpu: i5 4590
1TB WD hardisk
Gigabyte h97 d3h motherboard
Internal graphics used
2*4GB RAM
And sony bravia 42" led connected.

There is no dvd drive, no additional speakers, nothing else is connected.

I too have a microtek heritage gold 625va ups. It does happen to me sometimes that under load if the light goes off. The computer just restarts. Don't know what the problem is as it is difficult to replicate. While my configuration is:

Cpu: i5 4590
1TB WD hardisk
Gigabyte h97 d3h motherboard
Internal graphics used
2*4GB RAM
And sony bravia 42" led connected.

There is no dvd drive, no additional speakers, nothing else is connected.

Your UPS is 625 VA but how many Watts can it handle?

Hi friends,

I think this issue is due to SMPS. Capacitor (little water tank like thing) in the SMPS which is used in primary rectification stage has gotten weaker. It is the biggest tank in the SMPS.

Borrow a SMPS of above 400 watts of any other brand from a friend and test. It should resolve your issue.

true, the problem could me with smps. try with some other smps on both your inverter/ups and apc ups.

today tested my utl 1400va setup on full load on narrow range and all seems fine. havent got the opportunity to test the backup period as yet though.
total load:
same mentioned above +
6X ceiling fans
8X 22w cfl
1X 40w tubelight

planning of pushing another low end pc on it with 32" led tv and a 8-16 cam dvr setup. may disconnect 1x fan & 1x tubelight if I have to.

Sadly, I don't have a spare PSU/SMPS or UPS at my disposal. All I can do is wait for APC to replace my UPS and if the problem continues even then, it's a problem with the PSU...

Borrow it from your friend. I really doubt your APC ups or its batteries.
If psu was culprit your pc should have randomly shutdown when on gaming or rebooted frequently irrespective of even when theirs no power issue at your place.

Borrow it from your friend. I really doubt your APC ups or its batteries.
If psu was culprit your pc should have randomly shutdown when on gaming or rebooted frequently irrespective of even when theirs no power issue at your place.

Hmm.. I will post an update here once the replacement unit comes and hopefully the problem will be resolved... Thanks everyone for replying :)

Back