PC Peripherals Conflict between XP and some hardware

siddjazz

Disciple
Jun 13, 2005
Bangalore
hey ppl,
i'll get straight to the prob..i have a 1.6 ghz p4, 256 sdram, 40gb hdd space, a geforce 2 mx200....i have 2 partitions on my hard drive xp and 98...heres what happens..when i boot my system and start xp the machine works fine for about 30secs odd then the monitor just turns, without any warning ant the power indicator light on the monitor starts blinking, the comp basicly hangs i cant restart, cant shut down basicly noyhing works then... so the only alternative is to turn off the main power supply...ironically when i start win 98 the pc works without a hitch...ive installed all drivers incuding the display adapter. Actually this problem started a month back, recently i formatted my hard drive, reinstalled everything from scratch, prob still persists...
plz HELP...........

Apex

Skilled
Jan 28, 2005
India
www.sumitsphere.com
seems like a RAM problem. get ur RAM checked by putting that on another PC.
or try running some memory tests with software like MemTest.

Disclaimer: i'm no hardware expert so others mite think differently. Plz correct me
if i'm wrong. :)

Rockyme2002

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
Mumbai
BUt he says He can work on 98 fine :S
It cud b a Xp driver conflict or update ur video driver.........
nyways 256 sdram is really hurting tooo

Ohh nd QF's disclaimer applies for me too :)

inzider

Disciple
Jan 27, 2005
Yeah. The baffling part is that he can work on win98 with no problem, but the thing comes up only wth XP. He said that he had tried two different installations of XP, one with SP2, and the other without any service packs. Same problem came up over and over again. He has also installed the latest video drivers, so it cant be that.

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Dec 31, 2004
Pune
Well I had this prob prob that I could install and run win98 fine but could not do anything with XP.
One logical explanation as pointed out by deejay was that winXP uses a different HAL than win98 which is quite true so it could be the reason.
Also try to format your PC with the new slipstreamed version of XP (the one which has sp2 patched).
Also even after I managed to install XP somehow other apps were not loading fine which led me to believe that the RAM or the RAM slot was the culprit, but after installing the mobo patch and some drivers that problem went away.

However I will still check out my PSU to confirm other doubts and if possible you also do the same.

Apex

Skilled
Jan 28, 2005
India
www.sumitsphere.com
yep..XP stresses ur RAM much more than 98 and that explains why ur PC runs 98 without any probs. Since u did a fresh install, i doubt any corrupt files but in anycase, u can try different suggestions. :)

Aces170

ex-Mod
Mar 16, 2005
Just run Memtest bootable version and check if any issues with RAM. Also why would you want a dual boot of Win 98 and XP, WIN 98 I use at my workplace is just so hopeless compared to XP, freezing up randomly cant kill any application without restarting etc...

siddjazz

Disciple
Jun 13, 2005
Bangalore
Ok guys i dont think its a ram problem, i got this 64 mb ram chip n tried it out...hopeless...i also tried my ram out on another machine it seemed to be working fine there....what else could b the problem...........?????????????????

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Dec 31, 2004
Pune
running memtest wont surely solve the problem or detect the problem either. I ran memtest found out probs, got new RAM and still same probs.
BTW what is your PSU rating and is your XP patched with service packs.

siddjazz

Disciple
Jun 13, 2005
Bangalore
ok latest upadate to the problem.....ITS HAPPENING ON WIN 98 ALSO...not all the time, 5 times now actually....

siddjazz posted 6.75 minutes later:

its a 300 watt PSU and no the version of xp tat i installed doesnt have any service pack

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
siddjazz said:
ok latest upadate to the problem.....ITS HAPPENING ON WIN 98 ALSO...not all the time, 5 times now actually....

siddjazz posted 6.75 minutes later:

its a 300 watt PSU and no the version of xp tat i installed doesnt have any service pack
Try with a different video card. Seems like your gf2mx is dying.

inzider

Disciple
Jan 27, 2005
Alright. I got him another GF2MX. Same problem. His Win98 install restarted itself 3 times before it was normal. I asked him to check if anything was messed up on the motherboard. He claims that the tops of the capacitors in many places are bulging slightly. Also, the capacitors seem to have some sort of muck on them. I figured that if the muck isn't just dust, it could be the oil from the capacitors. Right ?

inzider

Disciple
Jan 27, 2005
Some intel board. He doesn't know the make and stuff. He said it took 3 restarts for win98 to work, so i figured that some component was stabilizing or something. Now another question. Should he buy a new mobo or just go about replacing the caps ?

rahul001

Disciple
Jun 11, 2005
Ya I also Think That U Must have graphics Driver problem Try To Solve it Using Running Xp In Safe Mode Then Uninstall Ure Graphics Card Driver
And Load The Latest Drivers This May Solve Ure Problem Try It

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
inzider said:
Some intel board. He doesn't know the make and stuff. He said it took 3 restarts for win98 to work, so i figured that some component was stabilizing or something. Now another question. Should he buy a new mobo or just go about replacing the caps ?
If he can get them replaced reliably, its a cheaper way out. Else he'd prolly have to buy a new one.

mehargags

Adept
Mar 26, 2005
there is a hell lot of difference between 98 & NT based systems in handling RAM. While installing XP ,did u get any file copying errors in the Blue DOS mode ??. If yes -- RAM is bad -- even if not -- it can most probably be ram prob.

I have seen NT based systems dont even install or boot with bad rams while 98 may keep working -- may be it gives page faults time & again. Its not memory resident as much as NT