Confused between Motorola Defy and Samsung Galaxy SL i9003

rusty4ever

Disciple
guys really confused between these two I almost bought motorola Defy but it was out of stock and then galaxy SL arrived on flipkart for preorder. I like Defy's looks and build quality and design, this is where Samsung galaxy SL sucks. 1 Ghz proccy, 720p recording are positives. I am not sure if 4" display is positive feature as it increases dimensions. I own Samsung galaxy i5700 now and looking forward to upgrade. so my question is how much difference SGSL +200mhz proccy can make over Defy.

The Galaxy SL is a better package as a phone. But it is also a bit higher priced. For the Defy, I love the Gorilla Glass Display.

But I would recommend the Galaxy SL as Motorola is a bit numb when it comes to providing updates.

Does anyone know any place in Mumbai, where i can see these model for real, i went shopping for in few areas, none where on display. the shopkeepers were clueless about Samsung SL. claiming it was not launched. i want to hold them, feel them before i buy them

i mean i want to feel them while typing on onscreen keyboard, my finger and hands are big and meat, due to constant banging on makiwara and punching bag,i just cannot type on galaxy 3 small for me.

i9003 is better choice because motorola = no resale value !!!!

no HD video recording in defy , i9003 Super clear LCD is better than defy screen

try to buy it from letsbuy.com using ICICILB coupon code to get 10% off through ICICI cards etc

techpal said:
^

galaxy S lcd also has Gorilla Glass.

Thanx for pointing that out... I had missed that part of the specs for the Galaxy. :)
panther said:
Does anyone know any place in Mumbai, where i can see these model for real, i went shopping for in few areas, none where on display. the shopkeepers were clueless about Samsung SL. claiming it was not launched. i want to hold them, feel them before i buy them
You'll be able to see the device at Alfa, Irla. It will be opened and kept in a display case.

As for being physically able to hold it and test it, only a seller with whom you have dealt previously or one who knows you will be that considerate. Unless he already has a opened phone that he doesn't mind handing over to you.

Both displays are at par, Super LCD is just a gimmick that samsung came up with b'coz AMOLED's are in really short supplies. And for the 1 GHz CPU, well the 2.2 firmware for Moto Defy is coming latest by May to India (confirmed with Motorola, it has already been released in China). The Firmware will clock the CPU to 1 Ghz (because officially there is nothing called a OMAP 3610, 800 MHz CPU (it is the OMAP 3630, 1000 MHz chip downclocked to 800 MHz)...

Build Quality wise, Defy is much better built than the Samsung Sibling, and i9003 has no flash for the camera...4" screen but the i9003 neither has the style of the Desire HD nor the sexiness of the Xperia X10, for a 3.7" Defy is petite and looks good.. What Samsung does trump the Defy with is the Android 2.2 out of the box... For that Defy has to wait, though the 2.2 Firmware roll out is in Q2 2011..

If you need something sturdy and can live without Froyo, go for the Defy, it is equal to the i9003 in almost all aspects... If 720p recording, Video calling and Froyo is something you can't live without the choice is obvious isn't it...!

my 2 cents...

Motorola defy was known to have some build quality issues,i don't know if they have been rectified.go to mobile-review.com for more details.I would prefer galaxy s because of the screen size and battery{1650 mah vs 1500 mah in galaxy 9000}.

St.John said:
Both displays are at par, Super LCD is just a gimmick that samsung came up with b'coz AMOLED's are in really short supplies. And for the 1 GHz CPU, well the 2.2 firmware for Moto Defy is coming latest by May to India (confirmed with Motorola, it has already been released in China). The Firmware will clock the CPU to 1 Ghz (because officially there is nothing called a OMAP 3610, 800 MHz CPU (it is the OMAP 3630, 1000 MHz chip downclocked to 800 MHz)...

Build Quality wise, Defy is much better built than the Samsung Sibling, and i9003 has no flash for the camera...4" screen but the i9003 neither has the style of the Desire HD nor the sexiness of the Xperia X10, for a 3.7" Defy is petite and looks good.. What Samsung does trump the Defy with is the Android 2.2 out of the box... For that Defy has to wait, though the 2.2 Firmware roll out is in Q2 2011..

If you need something sturdy and can live without Froyo, go for the Defy, it is equal to the i9003 in almost all aspects... If 720p recording, Video calling and Froyo is something you can't live without the choice is obvious isn't it...!

my 2 cents...
thats very well put dude
nice info
can you do us all a favour and add a lil on difference in the audio and video playback quality between the two???

Bought samsung GT-I9003 2 days ago, so if you have any questions I can answer.

Initial observations are as follows.

It has voice commands but no voice dialing :huh: need to find some apps from android market

display look good with full brightness + auto settings it works well in daylight but have not yet tested in direct sunlight.

kies installation was painfully slow though you will need it only for sync if you want you can sync to google a/c I haven't tried either one as yet.

there is only a quick start guide & no detailed guide on Cd nor in print, so if you are new to smart phone the alternative is to download GT-I9000 pdf guide from samsung website as these 2 models have quite similar features.

Even i am in the same confusion either Galaxy S LCD or Defy?

I personally like Samsung mobiles than Motorola. SL comes with 4GB Internal memory, 720p video recording and 5.0 mega pixel camera takes better pictures than Motorola Defy.

I think S LCD is better

If you are buying the phone for the camera then defy has a better image quality @3mp.

pictures are not JUST about megapixel count its about the quality & size of pixels.

4GB Internal memory means you will have 1.86gb only for your storage rest is locked for the phone.

Back