CPU/Mobo Confused between Phenom II 965 & Core i5 750

Hello Guys... I'm assembling a PC for my cousin, we already have these things :-

WD 1 TB HDD
CM Extreme 600 W PSU
AOC 21.5" Full HD LCD
Sapphire Radeon 4890

Now, I'm damn confused between the following two scenarios :-

AMD Phenom II 965 with Jetway HA-07 Ultra
or
Intel Core i5 750 with MSI-P55M-GD45 or Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

Please, enlighten me... What should I choose?

u already bought the psu?

I'm sure first thing people will advise you would be to change that....

among the two, I'd go for i5...

Thanx for the advice.. the Gigabyte model has only 2 SATA ports I checked on their website.. MSI P55M-GD45 has 6.. regarding the PSU scenario, my friend is running the following specs on CM 500 W Extreme PSU since last 7 months :-

AMD Phenom II 940 BE
Biostar TA790GXBE
WD 500 GB HDD SATA II
Sapphire Radeon 4890 1 GB
4 GB RAM
Cooler Master HAF 922

He even overclocked this rig to 3.6 GHz and there was still no sign of stress from the PSU..
If possible, advice a good PSU for this system, shouldn't be an overkill...
PS :- Just found out about ECS P55H-A motherboard, just for 6400, what do you say?

good that you are doing your own research for small points like number of sata ports :)

btw, can people post rationale why you advise against amd phenom and prefer core i5 ?

i am also going to be looking at a system in maybe a few months and first major decision is amd+ati or intel+nvidia :)

vishalrao said:
good that you are doing your own research for small points like number of sata ports :)

btw, can people post rationale why you advise against amd phenom and prefer core i5 ?

i am also going to be looking at a system in maybe a few months and first major decision is amd+ati or intel+nvidia :)

how about intel+ati? :)

The gigabyte motherboard has 7 sata ports, may be the info on the website is wrong :S

If its a CM Realpower 500W your friend was running then no issues, its a good PSU. But stay away from the CM extremepower 600W. Consider a Corsair VX450, or a Gigabyte Superb 460/Corsair Cx400 at the very least.

I would recommend the i5 750 + Gigabyte P55M-UD2 combo. the price of the gigabyte board is also 6k odd and i would trust gigabyte a lot more than ECS. Else if you are looking for VFM, get a 785G motherboard and a phenom X2 and try your luck at unlocking it. you might get a quad, or you might just get a dual :p

And as for the graphics, do you already have the 4890 or gonna buy a new one? If so then the 4890 is sorta outdated now, wouldnt really recommend it

Just checked that all the P55 based boards listed above don't have any onboard graphics solution whereas Jetway HA07 Ultra has ATI 3300 HD onboard.. We really don't need onboard but it sometime in the future Sapphire Radeon gets excited and decides to do something then we're in for a ride..

vishalrao said:

Afaik Phenom's are not stable in 64 bit mode at speeds exceeding 3.8 ghz. Core i5 750 can run at 3.8 - 4 ghz stable and dosent generate as much heat as the Phenom. Also consumes less power than the phenom. And generally peformance advantage of the Core i5 vs Phenom at similar clock speeds is 10-20% or more. Advantage of the phenom is only price

hellknight_mnd said:
Just checked that all the P55 based boards listed above don't have any onboard graphics solution whereas Jetway HA07 Ultra has ATI 3300 HD onboard.. We really don't need onboard but it sometime in the future Sapphire Radeon gets excited and decides to do something then we're in for a ride..

Yep p55 motherboards do not have onboard graphics. Its your personal choice really, if you think you need onboard graphics go for a 785G motherboard. Not jetway tho. Get either an MSI/Gigabyte/Biostar

thanks hunter for the info. price advantage is pretty powerful point, especailly if you're not interested in OCing and the power/heat is not too bad...

Actually, my cousin bought this card as a second hand product for Rs. 7000

@hunt3r.. are you really sure that the board has 7 SATA ports? Coz both Lynx-India and Gigabyte's own site are saying that it has two ports and friend is running his system on CM 500 W Extreme not on Real Power!!

Regarding Jetway, I chose it because it is one hell of a overclocker and it has very beautiful layout too :D..

Price of the processors @ Lynx India :-

AMD Phenom II 965 :- Rs. 9600

Intel Core i5 :- Rs. 10000

And, what about the stock heatsink of Intel Core i5, does it have Copper heatpipes like on AMD Phenom II 965 BE's heatsink?

There's a good write up on Tom's hardware regarding your dilemma, but in brief, the price savings in AMD are substantial enough to let you invest in other quality components along with lower power consumption. If however you really need to overclock and crunch numbers, Intel it is.

True, if you arent OCing then a phenom is a good choice. Its the cheapest performance quad core available. Or as i said there are people who have managed to unlock Phenom X2's. Athlon X4's are also good for people who want cheap quads.

The platform cost in AMD's case is way lower. The motherboard cost is heavily skewed in favour of AMD as getting a high end p55 motherboard costs 9-10k upwards whereas one can get a fully loaded 785G mobo for 5k max. I fail to understand why Intel has priced their P55 and G55 motherboards so high. The p45 had a northbridge and southbridge earlier and was sold for approx 40 USD(SB cost was 5$). Now with the p55 everything is on the processor and theyre essentially selling the same SB only for 40$! Intel is minting money on the chipsets for sure

hellknight_mnd said:
Actually, my cousin bought this card as a second hand product for Rs. 7000

@hunt3r.. are you really sure that the board has 7 SATA ports? Coz both Lynx-India and Gigabyte's own site are saying that it has two ports and friend is running his system on CM 500 W Extreme not on Real Power!!

Regarding Jetway, I chose it because it is one hell of a overclocker and it has very beautiful layout too :D..

Price of the processors @ Lynx India :-

AMD Phenom II 965 :- Rs. 9600
Intel Core i5 :- Rs. 10000

And, what about the stock heatsink of Intel Core i5, does it have Copper heatpipes like on AMD Phenom II 965 BE's heatsink?

Dead sure, it has seven SATA ports. Check the image of the mobo to confirm your yourself :) Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Well still i would choose a gigabyte/Asus/MSI/Biostar over Jetway. They are generally the best at support/Bios upgrades etc

Thank you all, I'll read some more reviews on the net..

Would you please elaborate the difference between Cooler Master Extreme power series and the other brands you recommended.. I have very weak knowledge in PSU field..

@op: even if you buy a phenom ii x4 965 be, get it from SMC Intl as they have a c3 stepped edition which has got 15w lesser tdp and overclocks better. Hits 4.0 ghz on air.
And as far as psu is concerned, either throw that CM Extreme Power psu or throw the money you have reserved for the rig. CM Extreme isn't good. It kills the rig along with it when overloaded. But corsairs and other psus shut themselves down when overloaded. Also, good psus like corsair ones give more output than labelled, whereas extreme power dies to give even labelled wattage. In other words overrated.
If you need more head room with less budget, get Glacial power al650 aa at
4.6k, but it may be a bit of overkill.

Back