Camera Confused between prosumer or dslr .. and which model to buy between the two :(

PrAnKsTeR

Disciple
Hey guys,
I am a bit confused between buying a prosumer cam or a dslr
my budget is Rs. 20,000 or $450 ... will be trying to get it from US through my cousin there

I am not able to decide between prosumer cam or dslr as i would just be clicking some random outings with friends and events like birthdays, trips, ceremonies (marriage, engagement, etc. etc. ) but i dont like the idea of limiting myself to a prosumer becauz i would love to learn more and upgrade myself and ultimately buy a dslr... hence the dilema

The options that i am looking at in prosumer section are
panasonic fz-40, panasonic fz-35 and canon XS 20 IS.... dont know of other prosumer cams.. please suggest

The options that i am confused between in DSLR section are
Nikon D3100 and Canon EOS 450D... both are currently out of my budget but i can save for some more time and buy later

I used to use my dad's ancient but still working ZORKI 4 film SLR some years ago but then job and other priorities in life put photography on the backburner ... currently used to borrowing :p a friends nikon d3000 to click events ... so am comfy with a dslr

Please advise

It depends on the usage. If you want to just click some random outings then it is better to get a prosumer camera. it will be portable and easy to use plus most of them comes with enough zoom range to cover the wide to telephoto end.

But if you want to get quality photos and willing to drag a camera bag everywhere then DSLR should be your choice. I think you should be able to get Nikon D3100 in the 25k range not sure of the pricing. The cons of the DSLR being you won't get much coverage the starting point in the DSLR journey only will give you with a max 3x zoom which is what the kit lens offer. Once after that you want to get more coverage you have to shell out more money. But again the DSLR is more durable than your prosumer.

If you are still not convinced there is one more category the Micro 4/3, sony's NEX line and samsungs NX line. They are a like a cross between prosumer and DSLR. But this option is currently pricey except for the olympus EP-L1 which is also a good choice.

So tell a little more of your requirements.

i will try and restate my requirements :p

I want my own digital camera :D period... till date i was trying to make do with my old film SLR .. the zorki 4 which uses film and the processing costs a bomb for me to experiment a bit

the type of photos i usually take are on trips to some vacation spot with family or friends.. and the usual get togethers, birthdays and other events like diwali, raksha bandhan, holi, etc. etc. etc.

i dont want to buy a camera only to realize later that i have made a mistake ... so am undecided between a prosumer and dslr for the same reason ..

I am open to buyin a second hand camera and / or lens and have no issues lugging around a seperate bag for the camera and lens... but i am not sure if i will do justice to the DSLR

I dont mind investing 20 - 25 or even 30 k ... but somehow not able to take the leap :D

Update:

Ok friends .. i have finally decided to go for a DSLR instead of a prosumer

Here is what i am sure i want in my DSLR

Format - APS - C (cant afford a full frame :D and am not turning pro .. just a hobbyist)

Image Stabalization - YES (not sure if i should opt for In Camera one as in Sony .. or for In lens one like those offered in Canon IS lens etc. )

Pixel Count - Decent 12 - 14 MP .. aint gonna print posters or sell high res images for the foreseeable future

ISO settings - Mid to High but with Low Noise ... as i will be mostly taking pics of get togethers and trips and most of these do happen post sunset :D . dunno what ISO settings are required but definitely not the ISO 25000 + :D

Metering - Will be good to have spot metering if possible .. dunno how things are in this aspect

AutoFocus - Can do with 9 AF points ... dont think would require 11 -15 AF points provided on Nikon

Live View - Good to have.. will help me learn easily

Other features like Video etc are not a necessity as of now .. would be good to have but not a requirement.. based on these requirements here are a barrage of questions :D :p .. please be sympathetic

Looking at the cost of lenses which camera system is affordable... Canon .. Nikon or Sony .. I dont want to buy a body if its lenses are gonna cost me a bomb .. i would love to have the option to upgrade at affordable cost..

I dont mind buying a second hand camera system .. or just the body and then some third party lens from Tamaron etc. or a new one ...

Please suggest ... thanks

Well if you can afford a DSLR then why not .The Nikon D3100 and Sony A33, fits your requirement.
The Sony packs in quite a lot features for the price its also shoots way faster at 7fps ,its quieter and is smaller then the competition.
In india it may or may not be launched.

Nikon D3100 isn't yet available ,but the sony A33 is now already shipping in the US.

thanks for the replies dudes... but i have a problem now :(

budget is 20K :( .. so i guess i will have to go for a second hand DSLR ..:( .. or a very entry level one.. or end up buying a prosumer cam :(

I am contemplating buying a used camera body and a new lens... something like spending Rs. 15000 on used camera body .. and Rs. 5000 on a good condition IS lens... .. or should i just go for a prosumer like panasonic fz 35 or 40 or Canon XS 20 IS as i dont think i will be able to net a worthwhile DSLR in Rs. 20000

PrAnKsTeR said:
thanks for the replies dudes... but i have a problem now :(

budget is 20K :( .. so i guess i will have to go for a second hand DSLR ..:( .. or a very entry level one.. or end up buying a prosumer cam :(

I am contemplating buying a used camera body and a new lens... something like spending Rs. 15000 on used camera body .. and Rs. 5000 on a good condition IS lens... .. or should i just go for a prosumer like panasonic fz 35 or 40 or Canon XS 20 IS as i dont think i will be able to net a worthwhile DSLR in Rs. 20000
you can go for FZ35 for that budget

eBay India: PANASONIC LUMIX DMC FZ35 DIGITAL CAMERA WARRANTY NEW (item 130428928124 end time 13-Sep-2010 23:29:12 IST)

Its not a bad deal at all :)

---

AJ

Back