Confused buying an android phone.

With so many flavors of android(thanks to manufacturers.) I m confused which one to buy.

I have read nice reviews of below mentioned phones but please feel free to suggest other phones as well.

Things i m looking for :
Good Music,Camera,Divx support(not necessarily inbuilt)
Updates on regular basis

HTC wild fire :android 2.2 :price 15000
samsung Ace :android 2.2 :price 15000
Spice 300 mi :android 2.2 : price 10000

I know its little odd to include spice mobiles but i guess its way cheaper than its counterpart and people claims to have installed android 2.3(gingerbird) on it.
(source youtube).I dont know any other phone in this pricetag which is capable of running android 2.3.

The Wildfire sells for 13kish these days. You are better off with the Samsung Ace IMO. Decent buy. Would be sweeter if the price sheds to the 13.5k range.

The Wildfire has a 3.2" QVGA screen and a 528MHz Qualcomm MSM 7225. Cam is not great too.
Ace has a 3.5" HVGA screen and a 800MHz Qualcomm MSM 7227 (OCed). Cam is good.
One more alternative is the LG Optimus P500~11.7k. 600 MHz Qualcomm MSM 7227. 3.2" HVGA but only a 3.2MP sensor.

Not sure about the amount of RAM in Ace. It could be anywhere between 384MB-512MB. Wildfire has 384MB RAM and Optimus P500 has 512MB RAM.

Since you have mentioned xvid support, just check whether the phone u end up buying can play the same lag free. Cos support is 1 thing, playin it is another. I'd assumed that havin the former guarantees the latter. But i was wrong. I'm talking about the p500 btw. I've assumed u want to play videos on ur pc directly without conversion. Just a heads up.

kidrow said:
Since you have mentioned xvid support, just check whether the phone u end up buying can play the same lag free. Cos support is 1 thing, playin it is another. I'd assumed that havin the former guarantees the latter. But i was wrong. I'm talking about the p500 btw. I've assumed u want to play videos on ur pc directly without conversion. Just a heads up.
Did you mean your LG optimus p500 is not able to play divx ?

Make sure the video has correct resolution as of your phone.

BTW my n81 is able to play it with cpu <300 Mhz where as p500 has > 500Mhz .Please check your stat.

It plays but lags in certain places. The default player stops playback at a certain point, but 3rd party players will continue with/despite lag. As regards the res, i just transferred the vid from my pc, as is. It's not hd, for sure. Hence my disappointment. Whats the point in having xvid support if you have to convert vids to a lower res for proper playback?

@kidrow 640 by 480 dvdrips play smooth on d default player on my samsung galaxy 3 .....

@pinga123

comparing the galaxy 3 vs optimus one vs wildfire vs spice m300i , the optimus one comes out as the winner ... wildfire has gud luks and gud cam thats all as far as it is concerned nothing else is wrth it (i donno what htc tchsense ui is) and m not sure if 2.2 has been yet rolled out for that model, plus d resolution is very low .......processor speed is low . compared with spice m300i and wildfire, galaxy 3 is a clear winner ...

Optimus one outperforms Galaxy 3 first and foremost in the Os dept :(, then video recording is better in optimus one whereas galaxy 3 provides better photo quality and music playback ..... plus it also has a 3d accelerator (graphics card) for playing games so optimus one is the best buy

Samsung Ace not yet checkd d model so no comments on it

I bought HTC wild fire from a shop near alfa @ 13100 .alfa guys were selling it for 13250.

The main reason for buying HTC is SAMSUNG ACE is still not available in Market.

both the phone has capacitive touch screen and android 2.2 upgrade option.

Any idea when it is going to be launch in mumbai?

Is wild fire better buy or should i wait for samsung ace?

pinga123 said:
I bought HTC wild fire from a shop near alfa @ 13100 .alfa guys were selling it for 13250.
The main reason for buying HTC is SAMSUNG ACE is still not available in Market.
both the phone has capacitive touch screen and android 2.2 upgrade option.
Any idea when it is going to be launch in mumbai?
Is wild fire better buy or should i wait for samsung ace?

did u buy HTC wildfire??

LG Optimus P500 > HTC Wildfire > Samsung Ace

Samsung Ace is a new phone and needs some field tests to prove its might against Wildfire or Optimus P500. Field test in April, MAY ,i.e., Indian summers will be enough to filter out all the lousy phones.

Feature wise here LG Optimus P500 is much better than HTC Wildfire. But when you consider looks, Camera and Build HTC Wildfire rocks.

Dont worry, you've made a pretty good decision. Congrats on your purchase.

sukant said:
@kidrow 640 by 480 dvdrips play smooth on d default player on my samsung galaxy 3 .....

@pinga123

comparing the galaxy 3 vs optimus one vs wildfire vs spice m300i , the optimus one comes out as the winner ... wildfire has gud luks and gud cam thats all as far as it is concerned nothing else is wrth it (i donno what htc tchsense ui is) and m not sure if 2.2 has been yet rolled out for that model, plus d resolution is very low .......processor speed is low . compared with spice m300i and wildfire, galaxy 3 is a clear winner ...

Optimus one outperforms Galaxy 3 first and foremost in the Os dept :(, then video recording is better in optimus one whereas galaxy 3 provides better photo quality and music playback ..... plus it also has a 3d accelerator (graphics card) for playing games so optimus one is the best buy

Samsung Ace not yet checkd d model so no comments on it

Mi300 and optimus both have the same processor and graphics.. It's just that galaxy 3 lacks one supporting 3d draw, and considering that it has perhaps the lowest scores among all processors(even with froyo), dont have much hopes of it increasing soon...

Galaxy 3 has good video output . because the xvid,divx and mp4 formats are HW accelerated by the S3P chip, upto 720 X480,

though WMV's stutter a bit

aka911 said:
Mi300 and optimus both have the same processor and graphics.. It's just that galaxy 3 lacks one supporting 3d draw, and considering that it has perhaps the lowest scores among all processors(even with froyo), dont have much hopes of it increasing soon...

Galaxy 3 has good video output . because the xvid,divx and mp4 formats are HW accelerated by the S3P chip, upto 720 X480,

though WMV's stutter a bit

I m talking about Samsung Ace.

naveen chauhan said:
LG Optimus P500 > HTC Wildfire > Samsung Ace

Samsung Ace is a new phone and needs some field tests to prove its might against Wildfire or Optimus P500. Field test in April, MAY ,i.e., Indian summers will be enough to filter out all the lousy phones.

Feature wise here LG Optimus P500 is much better than HTC Wildfire. But when you consider looks, Camera and Build HTC Wildfire rocks.

Dont worry, you've made a pretty good decision. Congrats on your purchase.
I didn't get your point as Ace has 800 Mhz processor and a bigger and better camera so why does it need to prove its might against optimus and wildfire

Back