Confused ! IT exp almost 5 years

Hi everybody,

I have a experience in IT at mostly desktop level and around a year with servers. I have done certifications like mcse,ccna in 2006. I think it is time I settle for a single profile and not waste time. I am confused with what profile job I should search now. I have interest in networks and system admin roles. I was thinking of doing SAP course and look for a job but it will take few more years until i settle down i suppose right. I am mostly looking to avoid night shifts so plan to join mid size companies who work mostly in day. Currently doing a presale cum technical support job at a small company.

totally confused with what profile to look for.

I could also get into a managerial role but i think few more years of experience would be required. Is it advisable to go for ITIL certification now ?
If i apply for a networking job the pay scale at L3 level is as good as nothing.Since i am only a commerce graduate it creates more issues since most companies look for technical degree graduates.
Voice domain is a good platform, its good pay as well as not too hectic work. should I try and get into that ?

Also is it advisable to get professioanl resume created from job portals like naukri and monster ?
Please help.

Get into Telecom sector .. VoIP etc
Get CCNP & study for CCIE
give this process 1-1.5 yrs .. and you're set for life.

dexBG has given the right advice...move into Telecom domain with your same profile do more certification..

Thanks for the advice...Even i was thinking of getting into telecom domain. Leaving the country I am already searching desperately for gulf. Infact was there was more then 8 years during on early school days unfortunately most of my contacts are into finance and commerce so not able to help much.

Thanks for the advice...Even i was thinking of getting into telecom domain. Leaving the country I am already searching desperately for gulf. Infact was there was more then 8 years during on early school days unfortunately most of my contacts are into finance and commerce so not able to help much.

If you want to try Gulf then check jobs at The Middle East's Leading Job Site | Bayt.com and keep checking jobs with all Agents in your city and specially Mumbai who do such kind of recruitment like Gheewala etc. These agents do only recruitment for Gulf so try to search with them. Even my bro went to Qatar via such Agent in Mahim Mumbai. Will update you with the Agent address soon.

I'm a commerce graduate myself i also did my masters in finance but along with job and today i work with IITians :bleh: for software programming, try to get into small companies you will get flooded with lot of work and your basics would definitely be cleared there instead of joining a large scale company

Leaving the country is your best bet right now, but do make sure you have a good agent as a bad agent can screw up your life there.

If you change your field from Desktop / Server now you will be starting from the bottom, even if you go for the telecom industry, you'd still be looked at as a fresher in that area. CCIE learning will also take time, it would even take time for you to start studying now as the last time you studied was back in 2006.

Instead of learning SAP & CCIE and what not, go deeper into the Server Support (MCTS, MCITP etc.) & get a chance of being more than just a Desktop Technician. ITIL yes probably in 2 years time. There is no scope in Networking, unless you are CCIE or Higher. Actually there is no scope in anything if you are just at the base level of certifications. MCSE is a base level course as well.

Big Companies?? here in India?? highly unlikely unless you have good contact inside the company, like you said they need engineering degrees which you don't have.

I have been in your shoes, hell you can even say i was the crap stuck in your shoes at some point :p I am not even a graduate, I have only done HSC, but I did Microsoft Courses & became an MCITP in Windows 2008 back in 2009, with no companies even using windows 2008 back then i was stuck with no jobs expect for desktop / network support. But I chose to go the freelance way & signed up on few sites got good results, got good projects. Now i am an IT Operations Manager for one and a Senior Server Engineer for another. Work only for 6 hours a day & earn 50+k sitting at home! So things will get better for you but the direction you chose will define the rest of your life so be careful, take time & think what you would love to do for the rest of your life.

Back