Confusion about upgrading Ram

live4g4

Disciple
I want to upgrade DDR ram on my old P4 Prescott 3.0Ghz....

My current ram is 512MB-266Mhz....i need to know if i add another 512MB Ram, then i have to add same with 266Mhz or i can add 400Mhz?..will they be compatible with each other?..and which one is better option for proccy overclocking point of view..my mobo is D865PEMA

Thnx in advance.

Why do you want to OC a P4 now... Its about time you get a full system upgrade... DDR is long dead & the performance benefit will be negligible 'coz all your system is bottleneck....

Yup i knw its time to upgrade my pc now...i was avoiding overclocking because its reduce component life..have this from 2003...but now i know i will upgrade my pc within a year..so dont care much even if somethng happens...just want to suck the remaining juice.

For now...just want to invest in 512MB ram now to pass a year..as this is the cheapest option(just cost 900 bucks)...n hope this gonna help in some extent to improve performance...

so according to you guyz...i need to buy same 266Mhz ram for ma pc????

^Not really. I had a old P4 at home with 256MB RAM(333MHz). The mobo website said it supports 266/333MHz DDR RAM. But i got a 1GB DDR 400MHz and it runs fine. But the speed will reduce to the other RAM module's speed.
So u can get a DDR 400MHz RAM for your PC.(Its almost impossible to find a 266MHz) But it will run at 266MHz speed IINM.
But just do a google search and see if someone is running a 400MHz DDR RAM with your mobo to just make sure.

Back