Confusion in choosing geyser type

We don't have a geyser (water heater) and planning to get one. I'm just not being sure about which type to get, instant or storage. We are a family of 2 only but it'll be used for kitchen works (utensil cleaning and so on), and mainly for bathing. Even during winters I alone take long shower (10 mins) and mum too about the same. So I'm guessing 40 mins of daily use.
For this which type should i get? Am I right to assume that for the instant type I'll have to keep the geyser on for the entirety ofour usage time? But for storage type I can just load it and later use it as i see fit? Which type of will be more energy efficient?

Thanks

The bigger problem with instant geysers is that there's no temperature control. So water comes out too hot.

I have instant geyser at my home and storage type at my parents' home. The only disadvantage of storage type is that you have to remember to switch it on 7-10 minutes before you actually need to use the hot water.

Instant geyser sends out scalding hot water. Even the side tap gets very hot. You have to be extremely careful while using it. You get used to it over time, but it's not really safe. That said, if you find an instant geyser with temperature control, then this issue won't be as big.

I wouldn't worry too much about energy efficiency for a 2-member household, since overall usage will be low.

For storage geyser also, you'll have to keep it switched on during usage. Otherwise the water starts to get colder as you use, since cold water comes in and gets mixed with the hot water.

Thanks. Well if both need to be kept on during usage then I'll rather go with instant. But that excessive temperature is rather concerning. If you know of any instant type having temperature control please let me know. I was unable to find any on Amazon after a quick glance. For storage type also, I couldn't find any with temp control. I was looking at Crompton mainly

Last edited:
It's not the lack of temperature control that's the problem, it's that the Instant will go from full hot to cool water faster than storage if you keep the shower running continuously for too long. Give it a rest and it will suddenly jump from normal to full hot. With storage, the gradient is smoother since it can hold more hot water, adding a bit of cold water causes a smaller drop in temperature. There's no way to control temperature in solar water heaters, but that has never been a problem since the temperature doesn't rise/fall multiple times.

If you have the space and budget for a big geyser, go for that, especially since you like long showers.

If you have the space and budget for a big geyser, go for that, especially since you like long showers.
Thanks. Understood what you say. Yes, I would very much like that gradual shift rather than rapid. I am not sure what you mean by big, could you specify in litre considering the above usage of ours pls?

Thanks. Understood what you say. Yes, I would very much like that gradual shift rather than rapid. I am not sure what you mean by big, could you specify in litre considering the above usage of ours pls?
Big = storage, Small = instant is what I meant

I've been using solar heater since I was a kid, so I can't really comment on how big of a geyser you need. But I've used Instant heaters while travelling and don't really like them. They're ok, just not great for that satisfying long, relaxing shower.

I'm thinking it needs to be enough for at least 2 people to shower without a break in between, but not too big else you will waste time & electricity heating a big tank of water for no reason. I'll let others recommend that.

Go for a storage Geyser. it's Always best in regards of quality and Quantity of water You Use. For 2 people, instant geysers are okay but there won't be enough storage capacity of water. Always remember that to get Hot water from instant geyser, you'll have to reduce the water flow.

In my opinion use a storage geyser, V-Guard Steamer Plus - 25 liters, It looks great and works great. Takes less than 10 mins to get steamy hot water and it is sufficient for two persons.

Gas geyser for the win, temperature control, no need to turn it on, does not require power to run, runs for as long as you like.
Just mount it in open air outside the bathroom.

I prefer storage geysers over instant ones. I have a Crompton Amica 10L in my parents' bathroom and an Elac 25L (Chennai brand) in my bathroom. I prefer metal body geysers over ABS ones. Few of my acquaintances had issues with the ABS shell cracking. We don't face heavy winters down south so I don't have to keep the geyser running during showers.

Darn. this is new.
Yea, it needs to be installed outside otherwise...

I have been using gas geysers from the last 15 years, one geyser typically can last 5-6 years, can also be repaired but I never did, just bought new every time, costs about 3k. The internals are same as the your kitchen gas stove. There are 3 control valves outside the typical gas geyser.
  • One for controlling single burner or double burner
  • Gas control (same as your kitchen stove)
  • Water control (usually left on max)
and one power switch to turn on/off the geyser, which just connects/disconnects 2 D cells for the ignitor that starts every time you open the tap. Cells need to be replaced every few months.

The most common and the only problem in these is if your water supply is not clean or contains debris , it blocks the protection filter and water stops going in, solution is 5 min job, just requires opening one pipe and doing manual cleaning.

Article ends with:
The exact sequence of events remains unclear, but evidence suggests that the geyser malfunctioned, leading to the release of carbon monoxide. The closed bathroom door and window proved fatal as the couple unknowingly inhaled the toxic fumes. They lost consciousness and ultimately succumbed to the fumes, said a police officer.
This article looks like it was written by someone who didn't attend high school! Carbon monooxide is a natural byproduct from a perfectly working geyser (or stove for that matter) when there is poor ventilation. It can even happen from a burning candle in a closed room.

Just like how you wouldn't cook with a gas stove without first opening kitchen windows and turning on the exhaust fan, you shouldn't be using a gas geyser without proper ventilation. So it was user error rather than product malfunction in case of carbon monoxide poisoning.
------
Coming back to topic, I like gas geysers since they are desgined to operate with running water, rather than a small storage tank like instant electric geysers. The output water temperature is more predictable. If you don't get frequent power cuts, electric is still the way to go: install it and forget it. With gas you need to keep replacing batteries/cylinders, but more importantly if it is not installed outside the bathroom, there will always be the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a silent killer which makes you faint without even triggering your choking reflex like smoke does.

Back