CPU/Mobo Confusion over AMD...

Karthi007 said:
Core i-5 all the way. If you are on a strict budget go for the intel board which costs only 6k in India else go for the Gigabyte board.
Core i-5 : 10.4k
Intel DP55WB : 6.2k
4GB DDR3 GSkill/Corsair @ 6-7k

comp@ddict said:
AMD Phenom II 955 B.E. @ 13.5k
ASUS 785G EVO(i think this is the one with 6 sata ports) @ 7k
4GB DDR3 GSkill RipJaw 1600MHz C9 @ 6.9k

please read previous posts before suggesting

w1nD said:
just checked some reviews and comparisons...saw that i5 750 performs superbly in rendering and compositing work as compared to x4 955 :O the render times are way lower

AnandTech Bench (beta): Intel Core i5 750 vs AMD Phenom II X4 955

So now the question arises.... i5 750 or x4 955 ???

Also if i go for i5 which motherboard should i get ? is this Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R MB Intel P55 Chipset mobo good ?

and what is overclock quotient of i5s ?

and will SCCF fit on the i5 mobo ??

i5 is much better. So I will say get it but boards are bit on the higher side.

Overcloking i5 is easy and can do 3.8ghz . but temps will get very high due to nehalem architecture. Some reviewers says that temps were around 90+ on load. Since you will be doing heavy stuff make your choice. The X4 can do 4ghz on Sccf and GD70. SCCF won't fit in i5 board.

hi!

you could get yourself these parts:

amd phenom2 x4--965 BE @3.4ghz available at about 13500rs

for the motherboard since money isn't an issue--get the asus crosshair and 4gb(2x2gb) of corsair dominator DDR3 ram!

Dark Star said:
i5 is much better. So I will say get it but boards are bit on the higher side.

Overcloking i5 is easy and can do 3.8ghz . but temps will get very high due to nehalem architecture. Some reviewers says that temps were around 90+ on load. Since you will be doing heavy stuff make your choice. The X4 can do 4ghz on Sccf and GD70. SCCF won't fit in i5 board.

hmm that clears most of my doubts ... except one of which one being future proof ? :) and darky sir very nice short and sweet explanation ;)

sunny27 said:
hi!
you could get yourself these parts:
amd phenom2 x4--965 BE @3.4ghz available at about 13500rs
for the motherboard since money isn't an issue--get the asus crosshair and 4gb(2x2gb) of corsair dominator DDR3 ram!

spending 2k more for mere 200MHz bump doesnt make any sense ;)
hmmm motherboard seems nice ;)

Havnt seen ny chip close to E8xxx ones in OCing. They do 4.4Ghz+ stable on air cooling. Wonder why i5 is running so hot, and limited OC compared to previous gen E8xxx.

dOm1naTOr said:
Havnt seen ny chip close to E8xxx ones in OCing. They do 4.4Ghz+ stable on air cooling. Wonder why i5 is running so hot, and limited OC compared to previous gen E8xxx.

Thats because people can't get their head around stupid crap like "LGA 775 is EOL!!" and "All new games require a quad!!"
A fast dual core like the E8400 still thrashes nearly everything out there when it comes to gaming, while having a 65W TDP. A lot of the E0s go to 4ghz w/o even touching the voltage.

There's always slightly better performance out there if you can pay the price, but at times it helps to ask yourself, "Is it worth it?".

Oh and, +1 for you my good sir :)

PS:
@OP
What's your total budget for the upgrade?

Go for a Phenom 965 or 955(not much difference in 955 and 965)with MSI GD70 mobo and do anything you want....full overclocking with quad crossfire highly featured and ya i5 beats 955 little bit but if you go for i5 it will be expensive for you in getting a good overclocking mobo and if you don't have much interest in OCing you can go for i5

w1nD said:
^^ where does that lead me to ?? :ashamed:

Ah pardon me for the rant ^_^
Added to my last post.

In all honesty, choosing what to buy based on gaming performance doesn't apply to you since you plan on doing some 3d work / rendering / encoding all of which should benefit considerably with a quad-core.

Overall, going the LGA 1156 way would net you a bit more performance than going AM3, along with lower idle(and thus overall?) power consumption at the cost of spending a bit more. If that isn't what you want, then the x4 955 BE(i would avoid the high TDP 965 BE) with a suitable motherboard is it.
You're going to be buying DDR3 ram as it is no matter which way to go, so if budget is not an issue, the i5 it is.

w1nD said:
^^ where does that lead me to ?? :ashamed:

core i5 is lot more cooler than core i7 and it consumes was less power. Also, core i5 is lot lot less power hungry than Phenom II X4, sometimes taking around 50-60W less at full load. And don't worry about the temperatures. If you want a PC that can do very good av enconding stuff, core i5 is the one to get.

It's totally worth the price you are paying for.

Amien said:
Ah pardon me for the rant ^_^
Added to my last post.

In all honesty, choosing what to buy based on gaming performance doesn't apply to you since you plan on doing some 3d work / rendering / encoding all of which should benefit considerably with a quad-core.

Overall, going the LGA 1156 way would net you a bit more performance than going AM3, along with lower idle(and thus overall?) power consumption at the cost of spending a bit more. If that isn't what you want, then the x4 955 BE(i would avoid the high TDP 965 BE) with a suitable motherboard is it.
You're going to be buying DDR3 ram as it is no matter which way to go, so if budget is not an issue, the i5 it is.

thanks for suggestion
ready to spend some 30-32k on proccy mobo ram :)

desiibond said:
core i5 is lot more cooler than core i7 and it consumes was less power. Also, core i5 is lot lot less power hungry than Phenom II X4, sometimes taking around 50-60W less at full load. And don't worry about the temperatures. If you want a PC that can do very good av enconding stuff, core i5 is the one to get.

It's totally worth the price you are paying for.

oh so i5 runs cooler than i7 ?? :O
also which after market cooler will fit the 1156 socket ?? :)
almost made my mind on i5...the benchies surely seem good than 955
Please comment on this motherboard...

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R MB Intel P55 Chipse

and some suggestions for i5 [1156 socket] motherboards please :)

The 212 plus was compatibility with a lot of platforms, simply due to the flexible nature of its mounting hardware. this could also be the same with the n520

mav2000 said:
The 212 plus was compatibility with a lot of platforms, simply due to the flexible nature of its mounting hardware. this could also be the same with the n520

so does it require special mounting kit for 1156 ??

@ 32k for RAM+Mobo+CPU you can probably shoehorn an LGA 1366 setup.
Gigabyte EX58 UD3R(10k?) + Core i7 920(15k?) + suitable Tri-channel DDR3 kit (7k?) (G.skill trident 1600Mhz CL7/ OCZ Platinum/Flex)
If you're spending so much, might as well go all out. The EX58 UD3R might be one of the cheaper boards with lesser frills than other X58 brethren( i feel stupid saying this, do you really need stuff like 3 way crossfire/SLi?), but still pretty much matches/beats what P55 has to offer. Not to mention it OCs as well as makes no difference to its big brother the UD5.

^^..err aint i7 920 940 EOL ?? intel had said that after i5s come out they will scrap out i7 old models ? :ashamed:

So have finally made my mind on buying this...

i5 750

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 MB Intel P55 Chipset

Trident 4gb

cooler master hyper 212

comments welcomed :)

Back