Graphic Cards Connecting 8600GT to TV

hanifv

Disciple
My dvd player is old and doesn't support xvid movies. Also, stuffing 3 xvid movies on 1 dvd is resulting in bad quality. Can I put 3 movies on 1 dvd without affecting the quality ? If not, I am thinking of hooking my PC to my TV and watching movies there. My TV is a normal LG- 25" and my new c2d rig has a Galaxy 8600GT card. Firstly, will I be able to watch movies in good quality if i connect the pc to my tv ? Secondly, how to make the connection? I dont see a TV-out on my gfx card.

Any help will be appreciated.

But my video card has dual DVI..and my TV has S-Video and composite..Is there some kind of converter ? Also how will the quality be if i possibly connect the two?

think u're out of luck if your gfx card doesn't have a tv-out, plus your TV doesn't have any vga or dvi inputs.

the best cost effective solution is most prob buy a new dvd player that plays divx/xvid. they don't cost much these days anyway, i've seen philips and samsung ones going for ard 3k.

don't worry abt the quality, any divx/xvid dvdrips (700mb - 1.5Gb) movie files would look very decent on your 25" CRT TV via component or s-video.

of course, another way is to change your gfx card to something that has TV-out ;)

Or you can get a cable that converts VGA to component video. I saw one in Lammy for 450 bucks just the other day.

But if your TV has only S-Video and composite, you're out of luck. You need a VGA to composite converter, which is not particularly cheap.

I can't believe a modern card without a TV out, must have saved 10 bucks on the cost of the card.

Someday these guys are going to sell them without the PCI bracket to keep the costs down. We're becoming a community of scavengers!

hey i got a S-Video to 3 cable connector with my MSI 8600GT (The three cables are colored R,G and B). Now i have the same 3 cables on my TV. Will it work?

hey i got a S-Video to 3 cable connector with my MSI 8600GT (The three cables are colored R,G and B). Now i have the same 3 cables on my TV. Will it work?

yes... and although it looks like an svideo connection on the video card out, it actually isn't. Compare the holes to an svideo connection and you will see they are slightly different.

The rgb should give you a pretty good hd connection to your tv though :p

^^^yes it will, i dont know why no1 else did tell u that before, you need to configure through nvidia control panel for multiple display, remember normal desktop text would not be good but videos would look good on TV.

I think that was my misunderstanding, the connection in the video card itself also looks like an svideo connection, but isn't. Your cable out, has rgb and and svideo from the split connector, so yes... svideo too... but if you have rgb connector on the tv it's a no brainer, it's much better quality when outputting hd or higher resolution video. :)

Back