Connecting computers running on Ubuntu 12.10/12.04 using Ethernet cables

bazinga

Disciple
Hello people!
Im trying to connect 3 computers, 2 running on ubuntu 12.04 and 1 on ubuntu 12.10 server.
The problem is that they although they do have an ethernet slot at the back of the cpu, some applications my friend wants to test out need more than one ethernet port. Hence i want to know as to whether i can have 2/3 ethernet ports on the same cpu. If so how?
I have read a couple of articles which suggested that buying a NIC would be a good option(perhaps the only solution). Also i have read that Linux supports some NICs only. So in order to have a cpu connected on multiple LAN networks, what should i do? If i need to use NICs, suggest some please.
And i need to know as soon as possible. Thank you.

Hello people!
Im trying to connect 3 computers, 2 running on ubuntu 12.04 and 1 on ubuntu 12.10 server.
The problem is that they although they do have an ethernet slot at the back of the cpu, some applications my friend wants to test out need more than one ethernet port. Hence i want to know as to whether i can have 2/3 ethernet ports on the same cpu. If so how?
I have read a couple of articles which suggested that buying a NIC would be a good option(perhaps the only solution). Also i have read that Linux supports some NICs only. So in order to have a cpu connected on multiple LAN networks, what should i do? If i need to use NICs, suggest some please.
And i need to know as soon as possible. Thank you.
Q: can I have 2/3 ethernet ports on same cpu.
A: yes

Q: So in order to have a cpu connected on multiple LAN networks, what should i do?
A: connect each nic to a different switch and configure IP.

Q: If i need to use NICs, suggest some please.
A: We've been using bnx2(Broadcom NetXtreme II) and e1000e (Intel gigabit) dual port/quad port network interface cards(NICs) for a long time on 2.6 kernels and they are pretty stable and support most of the features like toe etc...

Q: can I have 2/3 ethernet ports on same cpu.
A: yes

Q: So in order to have a cpu connected on multiple LAN networks, what should i do?
A: connect each nic to a different switch and configure IP.

Q: If i need to use NICs, suggest some please.
A: We've been using bnx2(Broadcom NetXtreme II) and e1000e (Intel gigabit) dual port/quad port network interface cards(NICs) for a long time on 2.6 kernels and they are pretty stable and support most of the features like toe etc...

Q : If i need to have connection b/w 2 cpus only, i dont need to use a switch yes?
Q : Will i find the aforementioned NICs at SP Road?
Q : What will the cost of the aforementioned products be? I need 3 of them.
Q : Also, should i check for motherboard model and compatibility before buying the NICs?
Q : In a switch(atleast ones i have seen), the first port(lets say 1) is used for input. So if i connect others to say 2,3 will there be one way communication b/w the cpus or two way?
Q : I need a switch as well. I think 8 port is the smallest size available. Suggest some models for that as well please.

Thank you.

Q : If i need to have connection b/w 2 cpus only, i dont need to use a switch yes?
A : you will need a switch. though I think there is a possibility of adhoc mode, but I dont have much idea about it.

Q : Also, should i check for motherboard model and compatibility before buying the NICs?
A : All the NICs are usually pci or pcie cards. which 99% of mobos support.

Q : In a switch(atleast ones i have seen), the first port(lets say 1) is used for input. So if i connect others to say 2,3 will there be one way communication b/w the cpus or two way?
A : Ethernet protocol is full-duplex. so communication is always two-way.

Other questions regarding hardware availability and cost, I am not aware. :)

A : you will need a switch. though I think there is a possibility of adhoc mode, but I dont have much idea about it.

A : All the NICs are usually pci or pcie cards. which 99% of mobos support.

A : Ethernet protocol is full-duplex. so communication is always two-way.

Other questions regarding hardware availability and cost, I am not aware. :)

Hey i have a doubt regarding switches :
Should i buy 10/100 Base T switch or 10/100M switch? i dont know what they mean exactly and which is preferable.
please let me know as soon as possible. thank you :)

Hey! please look at the links mentioned below, and tell me how many NICs can i place on this particular motherboard.
NIC : TP-LINK TF-3200 10/100Mbps PCI Network Nic
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA H-61M-DS2

NIC : TP-LINK TF-3200 10/100Mbps PCI Network Nic - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com
MOBO : Google Image Result for http://used.dospara.co.jp/img/item/manual/RWEB_83430000002523.jpg

I need to be bale to connect TWO cards. Is that possible?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey! please look at the links mentioned below, and tell me how many NICs can i place on this particular motherboard.
NIC : TP-LINK TF-3200 10/100Mbps PCI Network Nic
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA H-61M-DS2

NIC : http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tf-3200-10-100mbps-pci-network-nic/p/itmdf3h3xganzqek?pid=NICD8EKXCDBFDGVN&ref=c5402396-c5b8-447c-9d69-f66d8db03e7d
MOBO : http://images.google.com/imgres?q=ga+h61mds2&num=10&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1440&bih=775&tbm=isch&tbnid=FA3zKgwOrJZGvM:&imgrefurl=http://used.dospara.co.jp/sale/detail.php%3Fserialno%3D83430000002523&docid=HwUzXYibjPUpNM&imgurl=http://used.dospara.co.jp/img/item/manual/RWEB_83430000002523.jpg&w=1028&h=771&ei=HTEFUdChJYTTrQfj8IDYAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=599&vpy=127&dur=1231&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=131&ty=121&sig=105322283160497993280&page=1&tbnh=140&tbnw=187&start=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:93

I need to be bale to connect TWO cards. Is that possible?

Back