PC Peripherals Connecting external battery to UPS.

rahul.cnbc

Disciple
Sep 11, 2008
yup , just buy a bigger dry n sealed battery n cut the connected wired to the old battery n join them to the new one.

the best way to do this is to get a fully charged up battery from the local battry wala . open your ups after disconnecting it from the power supply n after turning it off, remove any thing connected to it, cpu etc.

u will see two wires connected to the battery red n black, cut them from the centre length, not from the very end , bcz if in case u wanna joint them back to your old battery.

just cut them from the middle join them to the new batter - you may need extra wire to do that.

connect tightly to the new battery turn it on , n test howmuch back up it gives to you. prefer to hire a new battery for the test. n if successful then go for buying exide 3 year replacement guratee battrey, sealed one , so that there will be no top ups. (rs 2900only)

kuduku

Skilled
Dec 9, 2007
+1 to above

but u might not be required to cut the wires

there s a thin clip on both terminals which comes out easily

Depends on UPS type if its soldered or just connected .

If its soldered then cut it .

Just see the terminals red and black are given correct polarity thats all

janitha

Adept
Jul 31, 2007
There may be problems, especially if the external one is of higher capacity (AH), since the internal charger may not be able to charge both of them.

robertjohn

Adept
Aug 27, 2006
Small UPS are usually made to run only half an hour to 1 hour depending on the load and the internal components heat up after that time and also charger is made to charge small battery. Better go for a sinewave inverter which can run computers with large battery.

navneet.chauhan

Disciple
Feb 28, 2009
I have an APC 650VA UPS...don't I need to worry about the voltage of the (say) exide battery compared to the native battery? Or can I just buy any battery and I'm good to go?

robertjohn

Adept
Aug 27, 2006
If you are in a mood to connect the large battery to APC 650 anyway, buy a large battery with a separate charger for it which can charge large batteries and keep the charger with large battery always on and connect to APC 650 ups, this is the only way to run large battery with small ups.

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
robertjohn said:
Small UPS are usually made to run only half an hour to 1 hour depending on the load and the internal components heat up after that time and also charger is made to charge small battery. Better go for a sinewave inverter which can run computers with large battery.

well if a ups gives a 1hr of backup then its great considering u only get about 10min of backup in 500va/650va.i too amy considering to put a external battery like a car battery i also have a seperate charger.

Dhiren Bhargav

Recruit
Jul 27, 2014
yup , just buy a bigger dry n sealed battery n cut the connected wired to the old battery n join them to the new one.

the best way to do this is to get a fully charged up battery from the local battry wala . open your ups after disconnecting it from the power supply n after turning it off, remove any thing connected to it, cpu etc.

u will see two wires connected to the battery red n black, cut them from the centre length, not from the very end , bcz if in case u wanna joint them back to your old battery.

just cut them from the middle join them to the new batter - you may need extra wire to do that.

connect tightly to the new battery turn it on , n test howmuch back up it gives to you. prefer to hire a new battery for the test. n if successful then go for buying exide 3 year replacement guratee battrey, sealed one , so that there will be no top ups. (rs 2900only)

Which external battery can I use for iBall Nirantar 621V UPS which has Output Power Capacity (Watts) of 360W, Output Voltage of 230VAC and
Power Requirement of 195-253Volts. Also, will the external batter get charged via UPS?