Connecting my Tab to Internet

d33p

Disciple
I have a bsnl connection with my ADSL router (Nokia Siemens C2110) in bridge mode.

I also have a Netgear wireless router for my laptop.

Now I want to know is it possible for a Tablet to access the net using wifi with my bsnl router in bridge mode ?

For some reasons I do not want to configure my bsnl router in pppoe mode.

Coz I have to dial my bsnl username and password before I can access the net on my desktop and laptop.

So in order to access the net on my tablet thru wifi how do I dial my bsnl connection with username and pass ?

In that case my tablet net connection would be dependent on my laptop which is not what I want.

I am looking to connect my tablet to the net only using my netgear and bsnl router.

Coz I have to dial my bsnl username and password before I can access the net on my desktop and laptop.
So enter your PPoE username & password into the router and it will connect for you.

So in order to access the net on my tablet thru wifi how do I dial my bsnl connection with username and pass ?
The router will do it, which netgear did you get btw.

Make sure your username & password are correct btw or you will go crazy for nothing :)

If you get past this stage all will be good.

My netgear is already setup as I already use it for net access on my laptop..but the problem is I have to dial my bsnl connection user and pass thru a dialer on my laptop.

Also I can connect only one device at a time to the net either my desktop or laptop.

So supposing all other devices (desktop and laptop) are not connected and I wish to connect my tablet.

How do I dial my bsnl user and pass from my tablet ?

My netgear is already setup as I already use it for net access on my laptop..but the problem is I have to dial my bsnl connection user and pass thru a dialer on my laptop.
This sounds like some PC only client which was used by cable wallahs in the old days.

What kind of dialer is it ?

Did BSNL give you some special program to do it or do you use windows to do the dialing.

What i find odd is that you are using the PC to do the dialing in the first place. With an ADSL connection it is the siemens that should have been doing it via PPoE.

This sounds like some PC only client which was used by cable wallahs in the old days.

What kind of dialer is it ?

Did BSNL give you some special program to do it or do you use windows to do the dialing.

What i find odd is that you are using the PC to do the dialing in the first place. With an ADSL connection it is the siemens that should have been doing it via PPoE.

Just to clarify .....its indeed my Nokia Siemens ADSL router which is dialing the connection (PPoE).

Now my question is how do I access net on my Tablet ? How to dial the connection in android ?

Just to clarify .....its indeed my Nokia Siemens ADSL router which is dialing the connection (PPoE).
ok, so why are you using your pc/laptop to pass your username+password then ?

The ppoe username & password should be in the siemens router. With the PC set to a private static IP address. This is the normal setup without any wifi router in the chain.

But the way it is presently with your setup, the ISP is giving a dynamic address to your PC.

You can use DHCP to do all of this but its simpler to give static IP addrs to your wired clients. Let DHCP handle the wireless clients.

Now my question is how do I access net on my Tablet ? How to dial the connection in android ?
You will no longer be logging into your ISP from the PC. Dialing will only happen with the siemens, that is your phone to IP interface. It must be set in bridge mode.

The netgear then passes on your PPOE credentials and logs you into the ISP. PC, laptop or any thing else attached to the netgear will be be able to access the internet. There is no more need for any of them to log you in because the netgear has already done it.

You are sharing the connection with all of them.

ok, so why are you using your pc/laptop to pass your username+password then ?

I will give you my complete setup to avoid any confusion.

Desktop - connected to Nokia Siemens ADSL Router (thru USB). - Net access by dialing bsnl user pass - Dialer created in windows using "Create a new Connection" Wizard.

Desktop is not connected to Negear..

Netgear - connected to Nokia Siemens.

Laptop - net access on wifi by dialing bsnl user pass - Dialer created in windows using "Create a new Connection" Wizard.

Net access for only one device at a time either Desktop or Laptop.

So as per the above if my tablet is to access the net on wifi just like my laptop it will have to dial bsnl user pass but my question is
how do I create a dialer in Android ?

- - - Updated - - -

blr_p: It seems like for some reasons OP don't want to store the password (PPPoE mode)in modem/Router. Then the only way is to provide user name & password through dialer.
d33p: Have you tried the dialer I mentioned in previous post?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cnddu.wifipppoe

Sorry overlooked your previous post.
Yes I was looking for something like this.
Only thing is it requires to root the tablet which will void my warranty.
Is there any other way to do it without rooting ?

blr_p: It seems like for some reasons OP don't want to store the password (PPPoE mode)in modem/Router.
Yes but why. Unless he gives an answer he's not got a good solution here.

It seems like he wants to tie access to the machine in which case all he has to do is setup a MAC filter on the router. Then no other computer can access the net unless its in the white list. The router has an admin page with a password so nobody can change anything on the router. He will have to verify in his netgear manual if MAC filtering is indeed possible first. There are many versions of that router so its not clear whether the netgear supports it or not.

If it does he just hooks up pc, laptop to the netgear and the tablet or any others are good to go. This is the way its designed to be.

Then the only way is to provide user name & password through dialer.
Right, but he does not want to root the device. So there is no option to use a dialer on android.

Currently his setup is like this

Code:
ISP<----siemens<----netgear<-----laptop
          |
PC<-------|

What if he gets a switch so it looks like this

Code:
ISP<-------siemens<----switch<----netgear<-----tablet
                         |
PC<----------------------|
Laptop<------------------|

PC & laptop can continue to dial as they are currently. He will have to dedicate the netgear exclusively to do the dialing for the tablet .

Cons:
Both laptop & PC are now in the DMZ and directly exposed to the net so they need good firewalls each.
If he gets another tablet or smartphone then they will be using the same account as in the netgear. If that not acceptable then he needs another router to service them (!)

Back