Connecting two offices wirelessly (2 km apart)

Hi folks,

Here is my problem.

I have an office (Office A) in a 5-storey building. The office is itself is on the 4th floor and I can put up a antenna on the roof.

I have another office (Office B) 2 kms away. This is in a building 3 storey's high and again, I can put up an antenna on the roof. Can I use the 5Ghz frequency to connect both offices wirelessly for the following:

1) Sharing the Internet of Office A , which has a high-speed internet with office B.

2) Sharing files between offices.

Also, does it entail any legal requirements for using the 5Ghz frequency?

Lastly, which is the best, easy, and cost-effective method to go about it?

I have looked up purchasing a pair of Ubiquity's AirGrid M5 as a possible solution; I think I would be able to buy a pair for around 7K to 8K. Any leads will be more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/airgridm/

I'm not right person to advise about the long range wireless solution. I think the easiest way will be to get internet line in both offices and establish open vpn between them to share the files.

Thanks, one of the gains, if I can call it , is Internet sharing. Office A has a high-speed Internet. Office B has a slower wireless connection, but if this can enable office B to use Office A's Internet, nothing quite like it!

Yes, you can do this. I am using a pair of Microtik SXT Lite5 for the same, since I did not have access to Ubiqity hardware. If you are from Mumbai, PM me for help!

Thanks a lot. I am not from Mumbai.

Still, between Ubiquity and Mikrotik SXT Lite5 (RouterOS), I believe it will be easier to configure/maintain the Ubiquity, don't you think so? It does not feel too complicated.

Thanks a lot. I am not from Mumbai.

Still, between Ubiquity and Mikrotik SXT Lite5 (RouterOS), I believe it will be easier to configure/maintain the Ubiquity, don't you think so? It does not feel too complicated.

Actually, I think both will be easy. For me, the reason I went with Mikrotik was the ease of availability vs Ubiquity, both locally as well as the Gigabit model.

Just get the Gigabit model for either.

I do not have any idea about the hardware that you guys are discussing but one thing I want to say. Range for 5Ghz wireless is lower than 2.4Ghz wireless signal. I am talking about normal routers. It should be the same for your case also.
If you guys do not get direct line of sight or torrential rain is there, will the wireless link work properly?

I do not have any idea about the hardware that you guys are discussing but one thing I want to say. Range for 5Ghz wireless is lower than 2.4Ghz wireless signal. I am talking about normal routers. It should be the same for your case also.
If you guys do not get direct line of sight or torrential rain is there, will the wireless link work properly?

Ah, but here, the antennas are directional and focussed. You have signal spread from 15 degrees to 90 degrees only.

As for non line of sight or rain, depends. If there is clear line of sight, rain usually does not create an issue, but you should not be at the upper end of the range. As for the obstruction, if it blocks the signal completely, then no point. Else, with a bit of increased power, you can get around it, but there still will be packet losses sometimes.

Back