Connectors that can be plugged in both ways?

unixguru

Disciple
I always find it difficult to plug in USB ports correctly because of it goes in only one way. DVI is the most horrible connector in existence, you could potentially bend pins badly if you connect it wrong. Are there connector out here which are as sophistacted as USB and DVI, but are perfectly symmetric, i.e, can be plugged in both ways. I read somewhere that displayport is one such connector, but looking at pictures abd my graphics card, it does not look symmetric at all.

boogeyman said:
3.5mm audio jack :D

I know that there are a lot of smarty-pants in this forum! That is why I asked for connectors which are as sophisticated as USB. Companies have done a lot of clever things with a 3.5 MM jack, but it is certainly 2 orders of magnitude less sophisticated than a USB.

Display port isn't symmetric. It has a notch at a corner and can only be plugged in one way. The possible reason why they might design it this way is to make it fool-proof.

280px-DisplayPort-rid.jpg

Here's something better:

Why not have just a wee bit of more patience and spend a few seconds more plugging it the right way instead of just blindly shoving the connectors in?

Back