CPU/Mobo Conroe @2.72GHz Taking WR in AM3

Harshal

Skilled
Hey guys, this is how its going to be from now on... No need for Phase-Change unless you really want last bit of performance from the Chip. This 2.16G 4MB L2 Conroe (ES) is one sweet chip... FCG as he is known as on XS, has some numbers to share...

Running your system at only 2.72GHz on air (stock Intel heatsink) with stock volts.......how can you put a price on this?

2x ATI x1900 cards in crossfire on stock air at only 712 core/738 mem.....$850

Stock Intel D975XBX motherboard.....$210

Taking the WR in AM3 away from AMD running with phase on the CPU and GPUs .......priceless
New WR for AM3 - 153,219 points on AIR. Ouch!! That will hurt many AMD fanboys (Me Included :( )!!

Also, Conroe, X1900XTX and 3dmark05 come together.. Tho No WR here... its really a nice one, just go thru.
Beat this, All tests on a Intel D975XBX "Bad Axe" board available now... phew!

looks like AMD's reign was short and sweet :p ...

This is AWESOME!!!! Simply brilliant!!! Intel seems to be back with a bang....

Wasn't there a conroe pricing guide thread around here? Say, how much would the damages be? For cpu, mobo and 2gb ram? About a couple of months after things have settled down.

Well if that how a conroe really performs, AMD's current chips are extinct. No one would even touch them unless AMD suddenly starts selling FX-57 chips for 100$ :p.

Me was thinking of getting a good nf4 board and oc'ing my pretty Venice to 3ghz;now me waits to turn blue if the numbers are true:eek:hyeah: ;thinking of it me will be a total convert;going from total green (amd+nv) to blue and red(ati+intel).

Conroe it seems to be be 'the precious'.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On a realistic note,don't underestimate AMD.

Nice.

This will really help my decision.

Im so confused between AM2 and Conroe currently :|. Its not even funny.

Wait till Karan sees this :p.

There are several issues with the FSB that Intel has to work around to get the Conroe generation of products to be high performing. For example, while the highest speed on this bus is 266 MHz, only the data bus is quad pumped (giving the 1066 MHz number often bandied about). The address and command busses are still single pumped, so they essentially run at 266 MHz. The bus is also bidirectional, but not full duplex, which means that during any clock the data/address/command streams are traveling in only one direction. Once that is finished the bus switches back the other direction. Data does not simply stream in and out through the FSB, but rather it is a one way street at any one time, and when needed that street travels in the other direction.

While this worked fine for many generations of Pentiums, it is now looking far too creaky and slow to truly feed the new generation of Intel processors. The memory controller that is located on the chipset is running at chipset speed, not CPU speed. So for a 800 MHz FSB processor the memory controller is running at 200 MHz, but for a 1066 MHz FSB product the controller is running at 266 MHz. This is a far cry from AMD’s memory controllers that run from 1.8 GHz to 2.8 GHz.

The FSB is the main weakness behind this next generation of Intel parts. So how exactly is Intel getting around this? The easiest way is to include large caches on the processor. This is exactly what Intel has done. The Conroe series of chips will come with either 2 MB or 4 MB of cache per core. This means that in the standard desktop dual core Conroe chip, there will be 4 MB of L2 cache. On the possible Extreme Edition chip we expect to see a total of 8 MB of L2 cache. That is a lot of cache, and it takes up far more space than the actual core itself. On the AMD side L2 cache sizes go from 256 KB L2 on the Semprons to 1 MB L2 per core (2 MB L2 total) on the high end X2 chips.
This spring we will see AMD release their AM-2 socket products which will utilize DDR-2 memory. This requires a new memory controller on the Athlon core to correctly utilize DDR-2 memory.
AMD also looks to implement a 333 MHz HTT connection, which is up from the base 200 MHz that current processors use.
Dunno if this was posted before.
From-
Exuberant Optimism?
Intel and AMD after Conroe
The article is 4page and the first one emphasizes on superiority of AMD architecture.
Source

^^ The thing Renegade is that Pre-Release AM2 processors aren't performing.

Once they start, it'll shut everybody's mouth up. So for that elusive 6-7 months till AMD optimises its DDR-2 controller (A process that can take almost a year as we have seen with LGA 775) Intel's Conroe will rule.

Mind you guys that Conroe is Intel's 2nd Gen DDR-2 chip, while AM2 is 1st gen ;)

Aditya said:
Nice.

This will really help my decision.

Im so confused between AM2 and Conroe currently :|. Its not even funny.

Wait till Karan sees this :p.

How can you be confused? Isn't the decision obvious? Conroe E6600 @ $320 will be faster than all X2's out there today, including AM2... so?

^^ The AM2 with the 333 Mhz HTT Link, has still not been given to any1 for Pretesting.

We can never know, what AMD has up its sleeves.

Wait.. and watch.. :|..
WHats the release date for AM2 again?

The "4 issue" thing is really kicking it hard... as mentioned in the thread, there is no or very little bottleneck (from CPU) in many of the current (3D/graphic) softwares. Hence the great scores in almost every possible benchmark with same Drivers and GPU(s).

Aditya said:
^^ The AM2 with the 333 Mhz HTT Link, has still not been given to any1 for Pretesting.

We can never know, what AMD has up its sleeves.

Wait.. and watch.. :|..
WHats the release date for AM2 again?

They bumped it up by two weeks. Its may 23rd now.

Nice, Less then 12 hours, 185 Views, and 22 Posts later people still think it may not work out good for intel, and that Amazes me the most. Whatever way it works out i dont see we "the users" loosing anything...
BTW... I see you guys are not so free with giveing REPs :p...
EDIT: Make that 23 Posts!

No matter who rules 2006/07, it is us - the customers who finall win. We get the best and it dosent come at an exorbitant price....why, intel has amd to compete with. And btw, I had a PIII 450 MHz before this 3700+, so can presume that I am peeing at the prescott rather than intel :D

I really dont care intel or amd :p for me both are some companies in the other side of the world ohyeah:
I always go with the one that gives me the best bang for buck CPU I will close my eyes and go with them.

comming back :p
a 4mb cache x2 or better from AMD could compete with a conroe ;)

Back