Cooking Thread

chiron

Skilled
After moving out of India, I started missing the food so much that I started trying to cook. Now it's turned into one of the most satisfying hobbies even though I'm mediocre at it. Who else here loves cooking? (and no I don't mean meth)

Attachments

• IMG_20190818_1042311-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20190818_1042311-1024x768.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20211214_093843 (1).jpg
    IMG_20211214_093843 (1).jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20220426_095557.jpg
    IMG_20220426_095557.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 79
  • sm.jpg
    sm.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 79
After moving out of India, I started missing the food so much that I started trying to cook. Now it's turned into one of the most satisfying hobbies even though I'm mediocre at it. Who else here loves cooking? (and no I don't mean meth)
Yummm.... Looks delicious. After trying out on some guinea pigs, I think you should quit your day job and start a Udipi restaurant. Looks too good.

Looks delicious...
I too am into cooking, still learning. Can make some veggies under guidance. Not Sanjeev Kapoor type, but will survive to see another day.
If you say this cooking of yours is mediocre, I have no word to describe mine.

Just curious if anyone has had their appetite killed when cooking. My aunt always tells me this is due to inhaling smoke from oil and other ingredients which kills it. The other day, I was making bread pakoda. All those oil fumes and I barely managed to eat one. :(

Where are you right now ?

I have been in Canada for the last few years.
Just curious if anyone has had their appetite killed when cooking. My aunt always tells me this is due to inhaling smoke from oil and other ingredients which kills it. The other day, I was making bread pakoda. All those oil fumes and I barely managed to eat one. :(
On the contrary, the smokes I've inhaled on occasion have made me eat too much.

Last edited:
I have been in Canada for the last few years.
If you are near a major city then there is a vibrant Indian community there. You should get most ingredients.

In fact this might be the only way to ever get to eat what you grew up with. I doubt what you find in restaurants comes even close to the way your mother made it.

And the way to do that is grind you own from raw. No packets or otherwise ready made. Though there can be exceptions in a few areas if only to save time.

The other thing to watch out for is turmeric. Roasting turmeric will stink up the house big time so good extractor fans required in these homes designed to retain heat.

Or better still do it outdoors.

Last edited:
Back