Cooler Master STORM Spawn Review

COOLER MASTER STORM SPAWN REVIEW

coolermaster-cooler-master-spawn-mouse-spawn-mouse-400x400-imad87u5kqky9cha.jpeg

First look from the company PR sections.

In this plethora of gaming peripherals that have mushroomed in the computer market, rapidly drawn and re-drawn specification lists that start sounding like the roster of a potential arms deal [no pun intended]. Gamer’s swear by their gear, whose efficacy is translated into a winning streak by the gamer.
In the midst of all this Cooler Master launched their STORM range of products specifically tuned to the rigours of a gamer on the move. From enclosures to mice and keyboards the range encompasses all and sundry gaming related gear that will appeal to a fanatic as well to the average kid on the block who wishes to propel themselves into the world of competitive gaming.
One of these initial mice launched was the Cooler Master STORM Spawn. Touted by Cooler Master as the first gaming mouse exclusively developed for Claw grip gamers, it has been on the market for quite some time, let us see what it is capable of.
FIRST IMPRESSIONS
My first gaze at the mouse was mix of wonder and bewilderment, the mouse is unlike the other common offerings in the market; it doesn’t follow the established principles of design. There is no hump as on most mice, especially the common fielding’s like the Logitech G400 and Razer Death Adder, but then this is a mouse exclusively for the Claw-grippers and these differences are incorporated for a reason.
For the uninitiated about mice grip, please refer to this excellent guide by Razer.

333lsu9.jpg

Yep that is the mouse, does not fit your style quotient, too bad.

The mouse sits low and squat on the mouse-pad, it is almost 1½ times wider compared to the average mouse though shorter in length, the shell feels sturdy and sure footed. The mouse exudes a certain strength in its build that is not found in most of the offerings in this price bracket. The anti-slip rubber flanks seem unwieldy at a glance but looks can deceive and they live up to their name proper.

18gh9w.jpg

I just got this, not even the driver disc OR any other feelies. Give some love to the reviewers too.
gap.gif

Moving onto the packaging, Cooler Master decided to take a leaf from Razer’s book in this area and the Spawn comes in a sturdy cuboid box with a flap design that reveals the mouse snugly fitted into a hollow that should be able to take most falls in a stride as well as allowing you to test the grip of the mouse before a potential purchase. The flap details the mouse and its various technicalities such as a 3500 dpi optical sensor, 32KB onboard memory, Claw-Grip ergonomics, Omron Micro Switches etcetera. The back of the box further elaborates on these details, but the box misses the mark with no clues on the warranty period for this hardware*.
261osnl.jpg

The back of the box gives a few practicable details pertaining to the mouse.

The mouse is laid out for a Claw-Grip gamer and doesn't feature an ambidextrous build, sorry Southpaw Claws this is strictly right-handed layout. Both the flanks of the mouse are dominated by huge anti-slip rubber grips. The top is covered in a pleasing red shade, not too gaudy, not too light topped off with the now recognizable CM STORM logo in white to complete the looks.
Disclaimer: I tried using the mouse with my left hand and frankly it makes the side-buttons nigh impossible to use, also the centreline buttons are pretty much unusable in a tight situation.
*On speaking to Cooler Master Representative(s) I was told that the mouse carries a 2 year standard-warranty.

ERGONOMICS & BUILD
Built around the concept of being the weapon of choice for a Claw-Grip oriented gamer, the mouse chassis is suitably adjusted for the task it sits lower, lacks the predominant hump that most other mice have, it forces the player to splay open his fingers considerably and if you try to adapt it to any other grip, well you are out of luck. Overall I would rate the product very highly but it isn’t free of caveats.

52jt3o.jpg

Rubber... rubber on the walls.

The build of this mouse in word: stellar. Cooler Master have got this part right to the T, the feel of the anti-slip rubber flanks is reinforcing and they are durable. Slippery paws are a thing of the past, even the main buttons have a nice rubbery texture to them and placing my fingertips on them I felt ecstatic. The top of the mouse apart from being coated in a striking red paint job has a matte anti-slip finish. Apart from the centre-line dpi switch buttons which felt a little out of place and wobbly especially the front button the entire mouse felt rock-solid. Side buttons reiterate the exclusive right centeredness of the design placed just above the thumb grip and they are useable in most cases. The scroll wheel is well graded and works like a charm, quite unlike my LOGITECH G300.
2rr18ci.jpg

That ones a bottom's UP!!

The bottom of the mice is composed of two large Teflon feet on sober black base the specifications are mentioned on a sticker placed here, including mouse serial no., compliance to environmental standards with the mandatory "Made in China" tag. The optic sensor comes viewed through a half oval opening and is by Avago. The sensor like any self-respecting gaming version is always on.
2e5s4nq.jpg

Considering it already has a narrowed approach to getting a mouse for the Claw-Grip gamers and then further funnelling it exclusively for right handed candidates leaves the Southpaw fraternity in the cold. This might not be a deciding factor but can turn potential customers away from the Spawn. The cable is 2 metres long and comes sheathed in rubber. At this price point instead of a gold-plated USB connector I would prefer if Cooler Master gave us a braided cable simply because most of the competition has this feature available [Razer’s Death Adder is a prime example].
PLUG & PLAY

15f6n8.jpg

2s8ns76.jpg

This is how I grip this mouse and it is called a Claw-grip.
This undoubtedly is my favourite part of the review, so I plug the mouse into my RIG and we are good to go. Well as mentioned the mouse can play on the move and is supportive of the Plug N’ Play approach, well mostly. The Spawn also comes with a few other caveats in the form of firmware updates; there are three of them available, v.30 – 31 – 32. For starters none of them are explained properly in the accompanying documentation. So I generally played around with all three and this is what I found --

v.30 -- more or less seems to be the stock settings, no great improvements in the handling characteristics.

v.31 -- did not use them for much time as it seemed to reduce the tracking accuracy.

v.32 -- used this for the most part, tracking improved but another glitch came up, the mouse seemed to do a small Z movement on abrupt stops, angle snapping switched on helped.
Disclaimer: these are personal observation over 20 -->48 hours of actual usage, personal experience should help zeroing in on the most comfortable firmware for your usage patterns.
a0ca5w.jpg

Apart from the firmware updates Cooler Master has a dedicated driver for the Spawn, not the best driver in its class though. The retail package comes with the driver on a disc; else you can download it from here. The driver doesn't allow a lot of flexibility unlike the LOGITECH Gaming software package for its G series line of products. You have options, but only the most rudimentary.
2yvkynk.jpg

When I say rudimentary, I mean I cannot even choose the STEPPING of my sensitivity.

The mouse supports only a single onboard profile at a time, so you have tread carefully and plan ahead in the scenario of a LAN party OR competitive clan match. The software is also required to liaise any changes to the side-buttons and the two centre-line switches. The mouse as such has a layout of a standard 3-button mouse + 4-extra keys, but depending on your layout only 2 keys at a time are unique and the other 2 are being used for cycling dpi settings between preset points. Now if you wish to change the keys to different uses, please note that you will have to enter the driver and changes will be recorded on the onboard Sentinel-Xâ„¢ memory / basically the onboard profile is tied into your driver settings.
2djxy7a.jpg

And I remember this horrendous MACRO system from another driver.

Due to lack of an active internet connection, I downloaded the latest version of the drivers and used the following games to test the mouse –
RTS --> World in Conflict: Soviet Assault [2007] – had no options to use hotkeys. Instead had to go into the driver software and set macros.
FPS --> Crysis [2007], S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP [2010] – in Crysis I entered the title and changed the side-buttons role myself through the Controls menu. The keys for dpi adjustment were also open to change, this led to a lot of confusion and overlap in input.

In S.T.A.L.K.E.R. again I had to enter the driver and reset the macros.
RPG --> TESV: Skyrim [2011], The Witcher 2 [2011] for this game I generally do not prefer macros as I am fine with my keyboard layout, but for the sake of testing I tried to adjust macros. Thankfully the game detected the mouse per se and allowed in situ changes in the Controls menu.

For The Witcher I used the mouse at its stock settings and things went fine, no macros and good command over the default layout meant that I was able to capitalize on the fast sensor for rapid combat. The -left and -right buttons were also a joy to use, no slippages or mistimed clicks.

* Please note that unlike most popular gaming device drivers Cooler Master drivers do not bundle any custom macro sets / custom button schemes.
FINAL WORDS: SPAWNING A NEW GENERATION OF CLAW-GRIPPERS
To cap out the end of this review I try to put forth the most striking design aspect and the defining USP of the Spawn, it is a Claw-Grip mice exclusively developed with an FPS player in mind.
It does not try to be a jack of all trades, but behaves like a Master of one trait. It has a robust build quality and it showcases polish and masterful finish, something that most mice lack at this price point.
FOR
Excellent overall build quality and finish, great option for Claw-Grip gamers [especially FPS fanatics], fast sensor.
AGAINST
Pigeon-holed design concept, outmoded and restrictive driver interface, poor optimization for games and a slightly drifty sensor [AND I am a horrible lift gamer], lack of braided cable.
The final tally for the Cooler Master STORM Spawn is

23t5lq1.png

I would like to thank all who read this review as well as the members who proof-read it and told me how to improve it further. The mouse is available at major metros and online shopping sites like flipkart.com.
Also I would like to thank @Coolermaster for the review sample.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review. Its Out of stock on FK so you could remove that link. I dont think they restock oos items.

It is just a reference link as well as most denizens will make a bee-line for flipkart.com in such cases, so saving them the pain. I have noticed that it takes quite a lot of time to re-stock on sold out items [and generally these stocks are also eaten up pretty fast].

For games I know they are dependent on Intencity.in because whichever game they have is also available at flipkart. I don't know from where they source consumer electronics and computer peripherals?

Thanks for the compliment Sire, I was a little apprehensive as this is my second formal review on TE. Any criticism as long as valid is welcome.

awesome review buddy boi

i am looking for a mouse currently and will probably buy this.

Thanks for the compliment, Sire.

Halten!! Are you a Claw-grip gamer?

If yes, then go for it. Else there are better options in the form of the LOGITECH G400 ~1500/- OR Razer Death Adder ~2000/- [I plan to review the same next], for Palm-grip gamers.

If you are a Fingertip-grip gamer, I will recommend that you look into the LOGITECH G300 ~1300/- OR Razer Abyssuss ~1200/-.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Back