PC Peripherals CoolerMaster 450w GX PSU making interference noise while on APC UPS battery backup

I had to recently change the PSU hence I bought coolermaster from SMC International, nehru place delhi

I got Cooler Master GX-450W PSU

GX-450W - Cooler Master - Leading Provider of Computer Case | Cooler | Power Supply

I have 4 years old & 1 yr old, 2 APC UPS which have been working fine but after changing the PSU I hear a interference noise from PSU on boot up (apc battery checkup) & then when the current goes off & the computer is running on UPS its continuous interference for all the time which is quite irritating.

I read the review here it mentioned Cooler Master GX-450W PSU - BayReviews

Underneath the blades of the fan you can see the efficient transformer and double layer EMI filter inside the power supply. The extra protection from outside electromagnetic interference limits the exposure to noise and static that other power supplies just let through.

Could this be the problem?

This is the APC UPS which I have, another one is 1100va ups both are having the same issue.

APC Back-UPS 800VA, 230V

Can some one point the source of the problem, I called the APC guys they came & checked the ups its fine, I got the battery changed even then this problem exist, there seems to be some incompatibility among UPS & PSU.

Re: CoolerMaster 450w GX PSU making interference noise while on APC UPS battery backu

The UPS is the culprit, cos its not a pure sine wave output... Its a digital modified sine wave and PSU with active power factor correction has this problem. You are lucky to have a AFC PSU's working on these UPS.

Re: CoolerMaster 450w GX PSU making interference noise while on APC UPS battery backu

kishore.chander said:
The UPS is the culprit, cos its not a pure sine wave output... Its a digital modified sine wave and PSU with active power factor correction has this problem. You are lucky to have a AFC PSU's working on these UPS.
Oh so it seems I wont have any solutions unless I get another UPS.

Which model of ups will work with this PSU.

Are all coolermaster PSU have this issue/feature?

I can buy a lower model PSU too as I don't really needed this high spec PSU.

Does PURE sine wave UPS exist? can the sine wave be pure?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Just found this interesting link on tomshardware

UPS with the best (purest) sine wave output - Power-Supplies-PC-Cases-Case-Mods - CPU-Components

What is the difference between normal and pure sine wave inverter+ups?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284291-28-what-difference-normal-pure-sine-wave-inverter

Please read this thread... http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/of-psu-ups-pfc-sine-wave-114774-8.html there has been a lot of discussions and issues posted by the users.

Most of the Active PFC PSU have these problems. Even i did have that and that why is spent around 12k to get the UPS alone.. look at my siggy.. i own a APC smart UPS range.

Why do you want to take the risk of spoiling your system by downgrading your PSU? Take a wise decision after reading thru the thread

Oh so it seems that I have been totally ignorant when I bought this PSU, should have known it, actually my old psu was not letting me boot one day suddenly & I was in urgency hence had to buy this.

Why I want to downgrade is that I don't game at all, its just a plain graphics system which does heavy work but not so heavy that I need such PSU.

If I have to spend 12k I rather get 1kva ups for the entire home, will that not be better.

u can do another thing buy a 400va sine wave ups with 45AH battery.As seen from your sig your computer not likely to cross 200W so 400va will handle it.UPS alone cost around 3k and battery ~5k or else buy a 28Ah battery ~2.7k

Back