Linux Cooperative Linux On Windows

el33t

Adept
Cooperative Linux is the first working free and open source method for optimally running Linux on Microsoft Windows natively. More generally, Cooperative Linux (short-named coLinux) is a port of the Linux kernel that allows it to run cooperatively alongside another operating system on a single machine. For instance, it allows one to freely run Linux on Windows 2000/XP, without using a commercial PC virtualization software such as VMware, in a way which is much more optimal than using any general purpose PC virtualization software.

Download: http://www.colinux.org/?section=downloads

Regards.

I tried my hand at it....Basically to run Linc (linc is not cyberoam) which is a native Linux app over my windows machine to bypass the shi**y 24online client....
Setting it up was slightly trivcky but I fianally managed to get it up & running,,,,
oncerunning, i was able to access windows networking etc, however, what I could not figure out was how to mount windows drives from within Colinux.....
THus unforrtunately, I wasn't able to access any of the files that I needed to ot install Linc...Any pointer wlcome....

I don't know if that is possible, but if u have networking up and running, install an FTP server on ur windows PC, and then ftp to it from within linux..

I don't know which device naming style the distro follows, but you could try the following from within a console in linux (see coLinuxFAQ for root password -

Code:
su - root
(give root password)
mkdir /mnt/win
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win

This will mount the first primary partition of the first primary IDE drive (usually C:/ drive under windows) at the point /mnt/win.

By the way great link ferrar! :) I wonder if this is a bit like a certain WinLinux I had tried way back.

hmm...is this similiar to cygwin ?

# Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of two parts: A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux API emulation layer providing substantial Linux API functionality.

# A collection of tools, which provide Linux look and feel.

The Cygwin DLL works with all non-beta, non "release candidate", ix86 32 bit versions of Windows since Windows 95, with the exception of Windows CE.

i use cygwin meself.... xtremely easy to setup and great for beginners.

Cygwin/X is installed via Cygwin's setup.exe and the installation process is documented in the Cygwin/X User's Guide. Whether or not you already have Cygwin installed, you can add Cygwin/X to your installation by downloading the latest running setup, and selecting the 'xorg-x11-base' package from the 'X11' category.

bosky101 said:
hmm...is this similiar to cygwin ?

i use cygwin meself.... xtremely easy to setup and great for beginners.

I have strange problem in cygwin, it dosent start the gui, i.e when i type startx it gives error. Also are there any complete package for cygwin, cant download all the time from net.

1. @ujjwal, this operates somewhat like a virtual machine, and it might not allow access to actual hardware directly.
2. @bosky - this is not like cygwin. Cygwin is a linux like environment within windows. Consider it a command shell replacement which gives u access to linux commands rather than dos commands as well as dos versions of linux tools. The cygwin environment is required to use (some of) these commands (as some dlls are req), but otherwise, all of it is DOS/Windows. Don't believe me? Try any dos program (not command, make any simple 32 bit console hello world in VC++ and try it in Cygwin).
in Cygwin and it will work.
Cooperative Linux is more like UML (User Mode Linux). If you have used VMware or Virtual PC, then consider it like running a guest OS, only without the need for any special virtual machine software. There is a version of UML which runs on windows too, but it is not as complete as coop linux from what I know. And trust my knowledge on this one... I will tell u why some time later.

I can explain the basic funda of UML that might help you to understand...
See, all system calls within UML are trapped, and are redirected to the actual OS... so you can run unmodified linux binaries in UML. Whereas Cygwin cannot run those binaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back