Copy large video files

Leon

Recruit
We need to transfer a large folder about 300 GB of video files from Laptop that work with windows 10 to another Laptop which work with windows 11 .Windows Explorer works ok but it may freeze when transferring large files and the remaining time shown is not reliable.
I am looking for ways or any applications that show reliable remaining transfer time and also allow me to pause during transfer because the process is probably going to take time and I will need to leave the place for hours.

We need to transfer a large folder about 300 GB of video files from Laptop that work with windows 10 to another Laptop which work with windows 11 .Windows Explorer works ok but it may freeze when transferring large files and the remaining time shown is not reliable.
I am looking for ways or any applications that show reliable remaining transfer time and also allow me to pause during transfer because the process is probably going to take time and I will need to leave the place for hours.
Windows explorer won't freeze if the connection between the laptops is good. Connect both of them with a good quality serial ethernet cable. File copy pasting won't take longer than an hour or two. It'll show transfer speed and remaining time.

Tera copy is good

As pointed above, you should definitely have an ethernet cable to connect the laptops directly , just don't depend on router, it will reduce your transfer speed

Try an experiment. Zip up about 10-20GB worth into one file and time that transfer

Then do the same with the same quantity of files as is

Any time difference ?

Zipping videos won't make a difference because it's already a sequence of images in a zipped container with audio. At most you will save 1-3MB per video.

There is a program called Warpinator in Linux mint and it has been ported to windows. There is a pause button but I've never tried it. Both laptops need the program installed. You can send anything except folders in it.

Another option is to make a private torrent and use the other laptop to download the videos.

Zipping videos won't make a difference because it's already a sequence of images in a zipped container with audio. At most you will save 1-3MB per video.

Another option is to make a private torrent and use the other laptop to download the videos.
I think @blr_p is suggesting to chunk the video files using zip, rather then trying to 'compress' it.

If you are fine with a little technical route, you can install Gitbash on both the systems, connect them to a gigabit router, get their IP, and use rsync (usually with -avpR switch). You can add --append-verify switch, and it'll resume in case there are network issues.

We transfer files (albiet in linux enviroment) and rsync works well, but needs some understanding before using.

just connect using ethernet and leave both laptops for couple of hours, because if you are working then your laptop will be slow while transferring

I think @blr_p is suggesting to chunk the video files using zip, rather then trying to 'compress' it.
Yep, sequential read/write will be faster than random. Should have added with -Z0 or zero compression
If you are fine with a little technical route, you can install Gitbash on both the systems, connect them to a gigabit router, get their IP, and use rsync (usually with -avpR switch). You can add --append-verify switch, and it'll resume in case there are network issues.

We transfer files (albiet in linux enviroment) and rsync works well, but needs some understanding before using.
Magical app invented by an Aussie back in the 90s because of the same reason. I doubt Linux distros could have spread as fast as they did otherwise. This app would retry no matter how bad the connection was and when it was done so were you.

Torrents take it a step further and allow bits to come from more sources

Last edited:
Is copying via external SSD an option?

If both the machines have SSD and you have access to an external SSD, copying 300GB from one and pasting on other should take around 45 mins (assuming you get a steady 250MBps transfer rate).

@Leon transferring via torrent is feasible option and you have all flexibility wrt time.
Also.. check these.. which works on P2P sharing mechanisms
alternative program - https://strongdc.sourceforge.net/index.php?lang=eng
very easy to setup, install, in its config setup, add your 300GB folder to "share" on laptop1, and you can see that "share" folder on laptop2 when you open DC program, and you can download it

Tera copy is good

As pointed above, you should definitely have an ethernet cable to connect the laptops directly , just don't depend on router, it will reduce your transfer speed
I agree with this comment, if the 2 devices in the same place, just connect LAN cable between it and just use a copy tool like Teracopy or any alternatives like Syncback , Gs Richcopy 360 or FreeFilesync.
FYI , all the previous tools are GUI based, and on the other hand you can use a CLI tool called Robocopy, it's free and robust
Good luck

From more sources? Didn't understand. Could you please elaborate.
It collects bits of the file from different sources (more seeds) so it comes over faster
I have used torrenting as a mean to transfer large and complex data back in days. It's super reliable, resilient to network disconnections and it verifies. What else is needed?
Verify, that's the important bit when copying this much over.

I'm thinking a straight copy in the file explorer already does basic checksum tests like that. I'm not sure if it applies to external drives. Why not.

The absolute fastest method is to remove the HDD from either of the laptops, use a USB HDD adaptor to connect it to the other laptop, have it show up as a local drive, and copy the data over.

Easiest will be to install a torrent client on both. You may manually have to add one laptop's IP on the other as a peer

Thank you all and I appreciate your help, it gave me some ideas and really the below 2 answers are lightweight and straightforward for me
Tera copy is good

and
I agree with this comment, if the 2 devices in the same place, just connect LAN cable between it and just use a copy tool like Teracopy or any alternatives like Syncback , Gs Richcopy 360 or FreeFilesync.
FYI , all the previous tools are GUI based, and on the other hand you can use a CLI tool called Robocopy, it's free and robust
Good luck
it is my turn now to try and feedback

I found that Teracopy, Syncback and Gs Richcopy 360 solve all these issues simply, all the free editions do a good job with these issues but are limited.
The problem is covered now, Thank you all

Back