Laptops Core i5/i7 laptop

ace_neo

Disciple
I am planning to purchase laptop with i5/i7 processor with discrete GPU. I have following queries regarding this

1. How is the battery life of i5/i7 processor? I mean how much time on battery it will operate before plugging to power for both i5/i7?
2. Which brand to go for considering quality, no heating problems and fan noise?

Budget: 60k
Usage: Auto CAD, Photoshop, HD movies 1080p, causal gaming

My requirement:

1.Battery life min upto 2.5 hrs
2.ATI GPU
3.4GB RAM 500GB HDD

I have shortlisted dell studio 14 considering its performance and portability. Any body using i5/i7 processor laptops could share their experience. Any suggestions regarding other brands are welcome...

Don't go for DELL if you are purchasing from India for their crappy 4570s. Rather, get the ACER 5740 with ATI 5650 and i5. :) You might also find 5740 with i7 but that will decrease the battery life I guess. And do you intend to buy 1080p laptop ?

Thanks sabby. I do not intend to buy 1080p laptop but how is acer after sales service? Also 5740 is 15.6" laptop, how battery life and portability? Waiting for more replies guys...

i5 battery life would be more than i7 for 2 reasons -

1. Lower TDP (in lay man terms, lower power consumption by the proccy)

2. Switchable graphics which gives you the ability to switch to the integrated chip when on power scarcity.

So, with an i5 you can easily reach 2.5 hours. since your requirements do not seem much i7 intensive, my call would be to stop looking for an i7 as of now. Stick with the i5. In any case, i am not sure if i7 can be bought in india for 60k.

Good luck!

if you need a 14 incher - MSI cr420 -core i5 /4gb ddr3 ram/500gb harddrive/ati radeon 5470-1gb/2 years warranty with a 8cell battery for 47k.

if you need a bigger screen in your laptop buy the msi cx620 -with the same specs as above but with a larger 15.6 inch screen for 46--48k.

@dragon:

advantages of acer 5740g over dell studio 15:

1.ati 5650 1gb vs ati 4570 512mb

2.core i5 vs core i3 at same price point

3.dolby digital enhancement(no idea what that is)

4.the bang for your bucks that you get in acer is impossible to get at dell in this price point

please add something that i may have missed.

i have planning for over 4 months on buying a new lappy and was looking for the pavillion dv6 series, but the great configuration by acer with updated i5 proccy and dx11 gpu forced me to change.having had some good feedfack on this forum on acer 5740g i am now looking forward to owning one

Looking at buzzz for acer 5740G it seems to me hot favourite here. But since it is 15.6" and has decent GPU how is the battery life of the laptop? This is prime importance to me.

Looks like desktop replacement...Can anybody clarify if anybody have purchased it????

since i5 has integrated graphics controller, there must be switchable graphics.

then battery life of 5740g will increase considerably,if we turn off discreet gpu when not in use

I doubt such switchable graphics technology acer have implemented in 5470G. If so then they would have stated in list of features. I haven't seen it. Anyways anybody using the laptop could brief us more...

what is the news? Has anyone purchased Acer 5740G and from India?

Guys, I need a laptop for playing 1080p HD Blu Ray movies and other internet, documents stuff. Does it matter if I choose core i5 430M processor over core i5 540M processor to save some bucks?

Back