CPU/Mobo Core i5 upgrade. Finally!

pretttt

Skilled
hey guys,
I've waited long enough. Finally, its time for upgrade.

Q: What is your budget?
25k-30K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Intel E4300@1.8GHz
Motherboard - Intel DG965RY
GPU - Powercolor 4870 512MB
RAM - 3GB DDR2
Monitor - Dell S2209W
SMPS - Corsair VX450
Cabinet - CM Elite 330
UPS - APC 1kVA

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
GPU - Powercolor 4870 512MB
Monitor - Dell 2209
SMPS - Corsair VX450
Cabinet - CM Elite 330
UPS - APC 1kVA

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - Intel Core i5 750
Motherboard - any P55/H55/H57 board. ATX, if possible. Suggest brand with EXCELLENT after-sales support (Very Important).
RAM - 2x2GB@1333MHz
CPU Cooler - CM Hyper 212+.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
will be buying good 2.1 Speakers + TV Tuner card. Soundcard also possible. Buying a new GPU is also possible but not sure.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Bangalore
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Not for CPU/mobo. maybe for RAM and Cooler if its a good deal from a reputable member.

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Any brand which doesnt have good service.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
GTA 4, FarCry 2, WoW, BioShock 2, Max Payne 3, etc. etc.

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1920x1080
Desktop - 1920x1080

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes, if required in future.

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows XP 32 bit
Windows 7 64 bit

most confusing component is the mobo. I would prefer a ATX board coz I will buy a TV tuner card. Also, I may buy a soundcard when I upgrade my speakers. Gigabyte ATX boards are very expensive, there's a deal on Biostar TP55 XE in the dealer section. It is ATX and looks very tempting. But not sure on the service. Same with the MSI P55 CD53. Anybody have any idea on availability of H55/H57 boards?
Also, will a ATX board fit in my cabinet? CM Elite 330? I mean, the specs say it is compatible, but when I open it and see, I cant see how a bigger mobo can fit inside it.

Intel Core i5 750 - 10k

MSI P55 GD 65 - 9.5k

2x2GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws CAS 8 - 7k

Noctua NH 12 - 3.5k

All prices are approximate.

but how is the after sales service for MSI? I am very worried about that or else I would've got them in a heart beat. You see, most of the stuff that I buy invariably end up going for RMA. I have really rotten luck like that. Last year I bought Cabinet, PSU, Monitor, GPU and UPS. Of that PSU, GPU and UPS have already been RMA'd.

I would strongly recommend the GD45 over the CD53. Better features for the same price.
but gd45 is mATX. Dont think it would be wise to go for it considering I will adding a sound card + TV tuner card.

Go for Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 its also 7k and can oc ur i5 750 to 4.1ghz for 24/7 use its stable . You want a guide then go to anandtech they have shown it there .

Scorpy said:
Go for Gigabyte GA-P55-UD2 its also 7k and can oc ur i5 750 to 4.1ghz for 24/7 use its stable . You want a guide then go to anandtech they have shown it there .

yeah man ud2 is better than the msi ones..

Intel Core i5 750 - 10k

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R - 10-11k (MSI After Sales is horrible)

2x2GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws CAS 7 - 7.5k

Theitdepot - G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 2GBX2

Noctua NH-U12P - 3.75k

http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/noctua-cpu-coolers-fans-thermal-paste-155385.html

Scorpy said:
Here I found link for the OCing of i5 750 on GA-P55-UD2 6k budget mobo ... it OCs to 4.1ghz stable for 24/7 use ..

AnandTech: Budget Micro-ATX P55 Faceoff: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 and ASRock P55M Pro

Motherboard - any P55/H55/H57 board. ATX, if possible. Suggest brand with EXCELLENT after-sales support (Very Important)

HD 4870 512MB wont be able to play GTA 4 @ max settings:( @ 1920 X1080
CM Elite 330 :rofl:......HD 4870 is a "hot" card..real hot.

And for heatsink go for Megahalem/true 120 Extreme....

Thanks for all the replies guys.

So, in effect I'm just limited to Gigabyte mobos now. UD3 is excellent, but isnt exactly cheap.

Anybody know how is the after-sales service of Biostar mobos? There are a lot of people with Biostar boards in TE. So maybe someone has experience dealing with them. There is a great deal for an ATX Biostar Mobo in dealers section.

as for the coolers, I would prefer something cheaper.. say within 2.5K. I would rather save money in Cooler and invest the same for the mobo. Same goes with Rams.

Udit said:
Intel Core i5 750 - 10k

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R - 10-11k (MSI After Sales is horrible)

2x2GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws CAS 7 - 7.5k
Theitdepot - G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 2GBX2

Noctua NH-U12P - 3.75k
http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/noctua-cpu-coolers-fans-thermal-paste-155385.html

Motherboard - any P55/H55/H57 board. ATX, if possible. Suggest brand with EXCELLENT after-sales support (Very Important)

Don't worry even I can read . I just gave him a cheap and reliable option . Support for gigabyte is not bad , at least not in Mumbai since I went to the service centre and it was all good .

ok guys been doing some searching on my own.

for mobo:
Giga UD3R - could not find any source below 11K. Cheapest was Prime abgb for 11700/-.
Even at 10K+ it looked expensive.
@Udit - can you please point to any site you know where its for 10-11k?

Biostar T5 XE - is ATX, and is available for 7.8K from TE Dealer. Only problem is I dont know much about their service. Did some searching and found that the service is handled by Abacus Peripherals. The website seems ok, but any first hand info TE members would be helpful.

Another option would be to buy an MSI atx board from my local assembler. If I buy it from him, then getting RMA becomes his responsibility. Problem is he usually doesnt have all the models and obviously charges a bit more.

as for RAMs:
well I dont know much here, but just want to know how these are:
G-Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - 6.7K
G-Skill F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ - 6.2K
Corsair DDR3 Platinum series rams - 6.6K

what exactly is the difference between these and the ones Udit mentioned. Are those worth the extra that they cost? Not questioning his suggestions, just want to educate myself as to what I'm paying for.

Cooler:
The Noctua is very expensive. I know it is an amazing cooler, but as of now looks out of my budget. Also dont think it supports 1156 socket.

anyways, how is Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme CPU Cooler - its cheap 2.7K.
Comes with a Fan Controller and looks epic :) I might have to buy the 1156 backplate seperately though.

Any other decent cooler available for around 2.5K or less?

Guys, please give some answers to the above queries. Want to make an informed decision this time around.

pretttt said:
for mobo:

Giga UD3R - could not find any source below 11K. Cheapest was Prime abgb for 11700/-.

Even at 10K+ it looked expensive.

@Udit - can you please point to any site you know where its for 10-11k

prime abgb always overcharges so that 11.7k will be 11k easily

inquire at lammy

P.S. I've heard horror stories about Asus, MSI, Asrock, Biostar & Foxconn Warranty that's why I only trust Gigabyte currently

G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL, G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ & Corsair DDR3 Platinum series RAM's are dead slow

better buy G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

IMG0020218.gif

1333 CL9 = 800 CL5

ok, so I'm kinda convinced on the RAM front. Whatever RAM I pointed out was just like 700-800 Rs. cheaper. So might as well buy the better one.

Now back to mobo. Suppose we put aside the after sales service/rma service caveat for a moment. If we go purely on the basis of performance/features point of view, would you still say Giga UD3 over MSI CD53, GD65, Biostar T5 XE? Also, giga seems to have come with a brand new series just this week P55A. I'm asking this coz I'm thinking of sourcing the stuff from my assembly guy for the simple reason that RMA becomes his responsibility then. Will depend on what price he quotes though.

Also, what about the cooler I mentioned? Tuniq Tower extreme? is it any good? I read a lot of reviews, seems pretty decent. good buy for 2.7k?

pretttt said:
ok, so I'm kinda convinced on the RAM front. Whatever RAM I pointed out was just like 700-800 Rs. cheaper. So might as well buy the better one.

Now back to mobo. Suppose we put aside the after sales service/rma service caveat for a moment. If we go purely on the basis of performance/features point of view, would you still say Giga UD3 over MSI CD53, GD65, Biostar T5 XE? Also, giga seems to have come with a brand new series just this week P55A. I'm asking this coz I'm thinking of sourcing the stuff from my assembly guy for the simple reason that RMA becomes his responsibility then. Will depend on what price he quotes though.

Also, what about the cooler I mentioned? Tuniq Tower extreme? is it any good? I read a lot of reviews, seems pretty decent. good buy for 2.7k?

If we go purely on the basis of performance/features point of view, I would still say Giga UD3 over MSI CD53, GD65, Biostar T5 XE

I would buy Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (TRUE) or Scythe Mugen 2 or Cocage True Spirit upto 3k

Scorpy said:
The new p55a is for those new i7s ... the i7 dual cores u know 870 and all ...

lol :rofl:

giga p55a & p55 both supports 1156 i3-i7

i7 9xx are quad

i7 8xx are quad

i5 7xx are quad

i5 6xx are dual

i3 5xx are dual

giga p55a = lotes socket

giga p55 = foxconn socket

In November Gigabyte will be releasing revisions of the current P55 motherboards. The boards will feature USB3 with 10x speed and increased power output, SATA 3 (2x speed @ 6 Gbit/s) and LOTES processor sockets which should have less burning issues than Foxconn ones.

Gigabyte P55A with USB3, SATA3 & LOTES socket - Gigabyte - Motherboards-Memory

Video preview of GIGABYTE P55A mobos - SATA3, USB3 and 3x USB power :: TweakTown

hmm now this going way over my budget.

i5 750 - 10k

giga ud3 - 11k

gskill ram - 7.5k

this itself is coming to 28.5K and not considering vat and shipping. Including that will bring it close to 30K. Damn.

hey Udit,

can u please explain this article in this page....

Choosing DDR3 SDRAM for LGA1156 Platform

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/memory/ddr3-1600-lga1156/spec-t.png

Basically, it says that Core i5 will not support DDR3-1600 SDRAM...

Memory frequency multiplier. The list of supported multipliers for Core i7-800 processors includes 6x, 8x, 10x and 12x, which implies that you can use these processors with DDR3-800, DDR3-1067, DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1600 SDRAM. Unfortunately, Core i5 processors do not support 12x memory frequency multiplier that is why the maximum memory frequency for them is 1333 MHz. The junior LGA1156 processor model from the Pentium series only offers two lowest multipliers for the memory frequency: 6x and 8x.

P.S. I dont know much about RAMs, and please dont flame me if what the article claims turns out to be just BS.

Back