Core i7 config

anirudh

Adept
Q: What is your budget?
Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
check sig

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor - Dell 2409W
SMPS - Corsair HX620W
GPU - GTX 285
HDD - SEAGATE 500GB+320GB
CREATIVE X-FI XTREMEGAMER
LOGITECH X-540

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz
MSI X58 PRO-E
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600Mhz
Model - TR3X6G1600C9
Cooler Master HAF 922

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

GPU - ATI 5870/GTX 480/Anyother

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (City)
Guwahati

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Browsing

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Do not want to buy Asus product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic
Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Action - GTA4, Assassins Creed2, Just Cause 2

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1920x1080
Desktop - 1920x1080

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64-bit

my suggestion would be,

Cpu - Same as your choice i7 930 14,700

Motherboard - X58A-UD3R approx 13.5k / X58A-UD5 for 18,300

Ram - Gskill F3-12800CL6T-6GBPI for 11900/-

Cabby - HAF 922 for 6400/-

motherboard if u cant find the UD3R, then get a UD5...

i wont recommend the x58 PRO-E even if it is a VFM board as two of my friends have already got it RMA'd once for some reason...

Ram, the corsairs you wanted were cl9-9-9-24 rams, but the gskill are lower latencies somewhat around the same price..

total : 46.5k with UD3R/51.3k with UD5

As a gaming CPU, AMD Phenom II X4 965 and Intel i5 750 performance is virtually tied with the i7s at full HD (stock performance).

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No

I am of the opinion that you should balance your rig, above 45k splurge is going to give you small upgrade in gaming. Whereas SSD will make your system feel fresh and snappy.

CPU - Intel i5 750 - 9,700

Motherboard - Asus P7P55D - 9,700

Ram - G.Skill 4GB Ripjaws 1600MHz DDRIII - 6,900

SSD - Corsair Force Series 60GB - 11,500

Case - CM HAF 922, If you want black interiors and side window go with Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62 or CM 690 II Advanced

or

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 - 8,700

Motherboard - Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H - 9,900

Ram - G.Skill 4GB Ripjaws 1600MHz DDRIII - 6,900

SSD - Corsair Force Series 60GB - 11,500

Case - CM HAF 922 / f you want black interiors and side window go with Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62 or CM 690 II Advanced

^ or

Phenom II 1055T - 9.8k

Gigabyte MA78GMT-USB3 - 6k

4gigs G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz - 6.9k

Corsair Force Series 60GB - 11.5k

AMD offers kick-ass performance for the price now! For games like the BFBC2, Lost Planet 2 which relies on more cores on the die, the games gain advantage from the Phenom II X6 processor. Do look at any benchmarks if you have any doubts over this.

^Is any SSD worth it now for his rig and budget? Dont guys feel that still the cost per GB is a little too high? This winter again prices will halve.
I agree it makes the system very zippy. But cant we hold for just a little more so that we can get some resonable capacity for lower prices.
I am certain that this same Corsair Force Series 60GB or similar drives price will come down to ~6k after 25nm manufacturing takes over.
Just IMO its better to hold on a little bit more if someone wants to go for an SSD.(unless they have a very big budget or they have the 'Need for Speed' :D)

^For a 45k budget and the existing components, why not a SSD? Very well, if someone decides to wait and invest in electronics later on, there's never a end to it. He/she would keep waiting for eternity.

Once the prices are halved, the newer SSDs based on SATA 3.0 6Gbps would hit the shelves - keep waiting and the newer controllers would show up. Keep waiting and something else would. :p

Desecrator said:
^For a 45k budget and the existing components, why not a SSD? Very well, if someone decides to wait and invest in electronics later on, there's never a end to it. He/she would keep waiting for eternity.

Once the prices are halved, the newer SSDs based on SATA 3.0 6Gbps would hit the shelves - keep waiting and the newer controllers would show up. Keep waiting and something else would. :p

I agree the wait would be endless if someone decides to wait and wait. I just felt that the cost is a little too high now to justify performnace. Some may feel otherwise.
But being an early adopters has its share of disadvantages. Intel left their early adopters in the dumps by not providing TRIM support for 50nm SSD's IIRC for which most of them paid $400+ for 80GB i guess.

Just read an article in Anandtech about the best $100 SSD. I also feel thats the sweet spot and by fall the price of 80GB Intel G2 and Corsair Force 60GB would have hit those price points.

May be i am too spend thrifty. Thats why i feel 11.5k is a little too high :D Anyways its upto the OP to decide.

Cpu - Intel i7 930 14.7k

Motherboard - Gigabyte EX58-UD3R 12k / Gigabyte GA-EX58A-UD3R 13.5k

Ram - G.Skill F3-12800CL6T-6GBPI for 12k

Cabby - CM HAF 922 for 6.4k

or,

Cpu - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 15k

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H 10k / Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 13k

Ram - G.Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI for 8k

Cabby - CM HAF 922 for 6.4k

Back