PC Peripherals Correct UPS and cabinet fans for this configuration

MeanMachine

Disciple
Hello all,

Please suggest me a correct UPS for the following configuration. I had APC BR620VA-IN in mind, but it seems to be discontinued. Also, I read bad reviews about APC here, along with impure sine waves being a problem for APFC type PSUs.

Intel G2010 Processor
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard
Corsair 2GB DDR3 RAM
WD Caviar Blue 500 GB
Corsair CX 430 V2 PSU
Lenovo M0520 USB speaker
TP-Link TL-WR740N wifi router
LG DVD writer
ADSL modem
LG 17 inch LCD monitor

Also, I will be buying Cooler master CMP 250 cabinet. This choice is based on the poor ventilation and cooling at the place where PC is placed in my house. It comes with one 120 cm fan in the front. There is a place for 3 more fans (80/90/120mm): 1 in the rear and 2 on the side.
1. Adding how many fans would be a good idea?
2. What kind of (brand, size, any other feature) fans should be preferred?
3. In which direction (air going in/out) would it be a good idea to place these fans in?

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
put the highest possible cfm fan coming in your budget in the rear. should be 120mm preferably. don't put fans on the sides.

how much time do you want the ups to power your config? a 650va will give around 15mins till half capacity which will be more than enough to shutdown your pc safely.

you can see the graph of load vs backup time on apc dite for each ups. from that you can approximate the average time your chosen UPS will give.

regarding the cm fan, it looks good. just run it onfull speed if possible.

the reason to not put fans on the sides are they actually wont help in cooling components. the airflow coming from side will push the cool air coming from bottom to sides. this will create hot air coming from CPU and gfx card tocome to bottom of case which is bad. ideally the exit fans should be on top and intske fans be at bottom. since side fans are in middle they don't do anygood. this is what i've seen in actual reality with my zebronics case having a side 120mm fan. I dumped that case.

Anything close to 90 cfm in the back would be great ... Just make sure the airflow isnt restricted ...( HDD bays @.5 inch bays .. or the lot in the front usually affect Intake air ...) .. I wouldn't totally agree with 6pack ... Intake fans I'll admit by the logic would end up causing the air flow to go to the bottom and that exit fans should be at the top .. But if you tend to place smaller 80 mm fans ... the Intake would increase the air flow thus causing the hot air to rise up and out of the cabinet itself ..I wouldn't recommend a 120 mm fans since these would in essence cause the hot air to settle with low and spread out air flow ...now considering Op's cabinet has an option for only 3 more fans .. id suggest Putting only one 80mm Intake fan on the side(near the cpu) a high powered Cfm fan on the back and front of 120 mm ( preferbly with high rpm's) and perhaps if your looking to cool your CPU .. you may want to invest in a good Aftermarket cooler ( like the 212 evo ,Tx3 evo, Gammaxx 300 etc)

Thanks @6pack for the reply!

- Which fan brand/model would you recommend? Is Cooler Master XtraFlo (R4-XFBL-22PR-R1) a good choice?
- What is the reason to not put fans on the side?
- How did you calculate 15 minutes for 650 VA UPS? Is it based on the wattage of SMPS? Which brand/model would you recommend?

i use those fans and can assure you they are value for money using them with hyper 212 evo on fx 8120 and coolermaster elite 431 idle temps are 18-21 loads > 50~

2 points :

1. Your configuration is pretty cool running. It should run fine with most cabinets , without lots of fans. Do you see notice high temperatures being reported?

2. The effect of fan configuration is different on different components. See study by hardwaresecrets : 1 and 2. Side fans cool GPU and chipset, but heat up the CPU. Front fans cool CPU and hard disks. There are some exceptions to these rules, of course, check the studies.

Thanks @DrBlitz, @nitinchamp and @amitkher for insightful replies!

Your configuration is pretty cool running. It should run fine with most cabinets , without lots of fans. Do you see notice high temperatures being reported?

I have had bad experiences with my previous 2 configurations, especially because of the placement of the PC in my house as I said. That was the motivation behind the choice of components for new configuration as well. Now I just want to be extra cautious from the beginning itself :)

I am thinking of buying Cooler Master BC 80 LED FAN Cooler as a side fan then.

Last edited:
Thanks @DrBlitz, @nitinchamp and @amitkher for insightful replies!

I have had bad experiences with my previous 2 configurations, especially because of the placement of the PC in my house as I said. That was the motivation behind the choice of components for new configuration as well. Now I just want to be extra cautious from the beginning itself :)

I am thinking of buying Cooler Master BC 80 LED FAN Cooler as a side fan then.
Remember 80mm gives only 44% airflow as compared to same quality 120mm fans. Noise is very nearly equal. Since your cabinet supports 120 mm fans, there is no reason to use 80 mm. And as shown by hardwaresecrets, side fans are bad for CPU temperatures.

So try just one 120 mm fan (the rear one in exhaust mode). If CPU temperatures are high (extremely unlikely), don't add side fan but get a better CPU cooler because side fans will add noise without helping CPU temperature. If chipset temperatures are high (also unlikely), get side fan, but 120mm.

EDIT : maybe you are going by rated CFM , static pressures, power consumption etc. If so, big mistake. Check these xbitlabs reviews :
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120mm-fan-roundup-4.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120mm-fan-roundup-3.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120mm-fan-roundup-2.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120mm-fan-roundup-1.html

Every manufacturer lies about these figures.

Last edited:
Back