OC & Modding Correct way for mounting hard disk cooler?

Kumar

Skilled
Hi!

I got a hard disk cooler (shown below) yesterday. What is the correct way to mount it?
hdd35twinfan1ano5.jpg

I mounted it such that the air is blown onto the PCB/Electronis. Should it be blowing on the PCB side or the Metal cover side? What is the correct direction?

JeDiKnight said:
i think u have mounted it correctly...it shud be on the pcb side and not the metal cover side..

You sure its the PCB side? The fans will throw a lot of dust on the PCB Components and I'd hate to see a thick layer of dust on the chips after a month or so!!!
P.S. I am not able to see the photo of the cooler (since I'm on my Office PC and the free image hosting sites are blocked), but I assume that the cooler has fans blowing towards the HDD...

im 99.9% sure coz the way its designed it cud not be mounted on the metal side...the metal side duznt have any mounting holes and the cooler mounting holes r so designed as to go into the pcb side holes...of course there is a 0.1% chance tht sum1 can improvise :)

im 99.9% sure coz the way its designed it cud not be mounted on the metal side...the metal side duznt have any mounting holes and the cooler mounting holes r so designed as to go into the pcb side holes...of course there is a 0.1% chance tht sum1 can improvise :)

Sadly, just 2 days after mounting the cooler on my 3 year old 80gb hdd, it died yesterday (might not be due to the cooler. SMART showed it has 0 fitness). RIP :(

but AFAIK, the temperature sensor is located on the PCB side (im not sure though).

EDIT: Accordong to THIS its on the inside of the HDD towards the PCD side.

Do not know correctly. But shouldn't it blow the hot air away from the PCB? Some coolers were listed on e-bay and other sites, the manufacturers were suggesting that it will remove the hot air from the PCB. So....

Back