Storage Solutions Corrupt Master File Table

rrcsraghu

Disciple
So this is wat happened....

Had to copy some data from my 250GB Seagate to my sis's laptop.......so used a USB-IDE converter and connected it to her laptop....it detected the partitions but dint show any other info (lik it shows wen u have a locked pen drive which has to be formatd or any unformated disk )....so i took it out thought i'll check it once with my PC and put the jumper back.......here i was being careless(was on a call) and did the most stupid thing one can do...instead of shorting the first pair of pins with the jumper(for master)...i was holdin the hard disk upside down and shorted the last pair instead and powered up my comp...it showed the same thing..

I took it out...realised my mistake and started up again...CHKDSK came up saying CORRUPT MASTER FILE TABLE...

Did some googling and got this prog 'GetBackData for NTFS'.....it detected the HDD and the partitions correctly (w.r.t space).....but it hangs up once it reaches one fixed sector...

I had some unpartitioned space....and this program created an entry for tht partition...now the new partition is fine...'m sure this can do the trick but it keeps hangin up..

I have highy valuable data in that.:( ...and i know the data is still intact (saw the hexas in GetDataBack).....but any idea how i can re-build my MFT properly....:huh:
And.....i dont trust that usb-ide converter....its a cheap one....have used it only twice....and it works only with lappy HDDs(it has both the ide pins).....did i screw up there or in shortin the wrong pins?

Search For partition table doctor in google or on the "Ahem" sites if u know what i mean.... that's the best software to recover partition tables it has saved me 2 times till now

rrcsraghu said:
I have highy valuable data in that.:( ...and i know the data is still intact (saw the hexas in GetDataBack).....but any idea how i can re-build my MFT properly....:huh:
And.....i dont trust that usb-ide converter....its a cheap one....have used it only twice....and it works only with lappy HDDs(it has both the ide pins).....did i screw up there or in shortin the wrong pins?

Its little confusing to me how you can corrupt a MFT by jumpering the wrong pins, worst i can think it won't work ie the drive wont be detected.

..and you were copying ie reading from the disk and not writing to it.

let us know how it goes.

Back