PC Peripherals Corsair PSU RMA

Orija

Adept
Jan 26, 2010
How do I go about RMAing my Corsair TX 650M PSU? I don't have a bill with me. Should I contact the local service center or do I need to sign-up online first?

Here's the problem I'm having:
Until a week or so back all games had been running just fine on my system. I had been playing some heavy stuff like BF3, Crysis 2 and Dishonored without any problems. It was after I took a break off gaming for a month or so that things got hairy yesterday. When playing games like Blacklist and Saints Row 4, the system just reboots, no BSODs and no glitching. Even games that used to run fine, like Shogun 2, are crashing now.
Seems to me that it's PSU that's malfunctioning here.

Here are my system specs:
Sapphire 7950 3GB
Asus P8-Z77M Pro
Corsair 650TX V2
i5 2500k

Drivers: 13.4

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Reactions: Crazy_Eddy

Orija

Adept
Jan 26, 2010
Sorry about that. I usually do search for threads that revolve around my queries, but I also wanted to whether it really is the PSU that's causing this problem.

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
This may not necessarily be a power supply issue. You may have to do some troubleshooting here.

Is the CPU running overclocked? Is it working off the stock Intel heatsink or an aftermarket heatsink? Did you check if the system is overheating? Does the system reboot/crash only when you are playing a game or say, running a CPU intensive task?

Do post some idle temperature screenshots from Realtemp.

Orija

Adept
Jan 26, 2010
The CPU is at stock settings, the temps got to around 66C when playing TW Rome 2 before it crashed. The gpu temps stay around the low 50s. Temps seem to be okay all around. I'm thinking it's either the PSU or the RAM. Should I be getting a BSOD is the problem is being caused by the RAM (or an overheating CPU)?

The crashes only ever take place when I'm playing a heavy game like Rome or Shogun. I haven't really tried any other CPU or power intensive tasks though. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 50

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
A faulty RAM module could cause a BSOD. Not an overheating CPU though. If the CPU overheats, the system shuts down by itself as a fail-safe method to prevent any further damage. Those temperatures look pretty much okay to me for a stock Intel cooler. Even the GPU temp. for that matter.

You can check for faulty RAM modules using Memtest86 on a bootable USB drive. If the stick is indeed faulty, it will show up red blocks on the utility.

You can download the Memtest 86 app. here - http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Excellent. I think my friend's Corsair TX750 has gone kaput as well. The PC fails to start, it does start, fans spin, LEDs blink for a few seconds and the PC shuts down. Will have to check it with my power supply. Which also happens to be another Corsair!

The problem is, evading this inevitable question from friends, "Based on your advice, we went for a super expensive power supply and now it has failed! The one that came bundled with the cabinet which you claimed to be junk still continues to work at my home after 5 years! What was the point of investing in this power supply?"