PC Peripherals Corsair VS450 cannot power even a Radeon 6850?

unixguru

Disciple
I recently helped my friend build a new gaming rig. The configuration is as follows
Core i5 3450
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Corsair Vengance 2 X 4 GB 1600mhz.
1 TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD
Antec One Hundred Lite Case
Corsair VS450 PSU.
MSI Radeon 6850 Cyclone Power Edition

When we assembled everything, we found that the system freezes every time we run a graphically intense game. I thought it is an issue with the graphics card, but when I tested it on my system everything works perfectly and Furmark runs properly for over 10 mins, whereas it crashes in less than 2 mins in my friends system. It is not an issue of the CPU or Memory, we ran stress tests with Aida64 and there was no issue. I suspect that it is the power supply, and I searched the internet and found out to my horror that this model is not even listed on Corsair's website. I had spent quite a bit of time in choosing the components carefully but I made a mistake with the power supply. I had assumed that Corsair VS450, being labelled as Builder Series, was similar to CX430 without the 80+ Certification. But, now I find that it is actually cheaply made overpriced model released specifically to fool people in India and China. I am feeling very bad because I had recommend the PSU to my friend as being very good VFM product from a reliable and reputed company. I can try to get the power supply replaced, but I have a bad feeling that the replacement unit will also perform badly. Moreover, my friend plans to get the Radeon 7870 or Geforce 660ti soon and going by Anandtech's bench the system would then consume around 40w more than the 6850 (roughly around 300W for the whole system) and I am not confident now running either of these on the VS450.

My question is what should we do now? Will Corsair replace it with the CX430 which is a much better supply and only a few hundred rupees more if my friend agrees to pay the difference?

The same model is listed on corsair's website.

Builder Series? VS450 ? 450 Watt High Performance Power Supply

It features dedicated single +12V rail as specified by corsair, but to my utter surprise i found while googling similar PSU with dual 12V rails, it seems to be a fake one and might be circulating in indian and chinese markets.

vs450.png
27xh61.jpg

Check which one you have bought and report back.

I recently helped my friend build a new gaming rig. The configuration is as follows
Core i5 3450
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Corsair Vengance 2 X 4 GB 1600mhz.
1 TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD
Antec One Hundred Lite Case
Corsair VS450 PSU.
MSI Radeon 6850 Cyclone Power Edition

My question is what should we do now? Will Corsair replace it with the CX430 which is a much better supply and only a few hundred rupees more if my friend agrees to pay the difference?

Take the SMPS to the local Kaizen service centre and have a talk with them OR the regional marketing guy, might get what you want + happy friend.

It features dedicated single +12V rail as specified by corsair, but to my utter surprise i found while googling similar PSU with dual 12V rails, it seems to be a fake one and might be circulating in indian and chinese markets.

Untitled.jpg

Actually the VS450W is a perfect piece of tripe by Corsair exclusive to Chinese and emerging South-East Asian markets, it is just as good as Cooler Master eXtreme Pro series if not worse.

Will Corsair replace it with the CX430 which is a much better supply and only a few hundred rupees more if my friend agrees to pay the difference?
An HD 4850 wasn't stable on a CX430 V2 either. Was crashing within a minute on Furmark, so I think it might not be a good 'upgrade' either. But I must admit, I did not have time to check if the card itself was problematic.

An HD 4850 wasn't stable on a CX430 V2 either. Was crashing within a minute on Furmark, so I think it might not be a good 'upgrade' either. But I must admit, I did not have time to check if the card itself was problematic.

I am currently running a HD 4870 Sonic edition and yet still overclocked on a CX430V2, clocks @790/1050 and it runs absolutely fine.
Maybe ur GPU was faulty.

The same model is listed on corsair's website.

Builder Series? VS450 ? 450 Watt High Performance Power Supply

vs450.png
27xh61.jpg

Check which one you have bought and report back.

I checked and it seems to be exactly the same one as posted in the picture. What should we do now?

No point in paying extra cause the price of the both products are the same.They should give CX430V2 ree in exchange.
Talk to the local Kaizen REP / service centre guys and see about it getting it replaced with a CX v2430W. Pay the difference if asked too. Cheerio!

I don't think its fake, but probably a typo on the Corsair website.

^ But how is 12V x 22A = 360W? Check the corsair forum thread where this pic was taken from. The pic was originally on the Corsair website, but as you can see its been pulled :p

- - - Updated - - -

it looks like fake to me. the ratings go way above 450 just adding the first two ratings.
Power is never exclusively allocated to each rail. For fun, lets look at the AX 650 ratings chart here. Once again the first 2 rails are > 650.

Back