PC Peripherals Corsair VX450 out of juice??

mib2_007

Disciple
Hi techies... I have to make a decision of should I buy a new PSU or is there something in my RIG config that is causing PC crashes during game play time.

I have Corsair VX450 as PSU with Intel E8500 OC'ed to 4.0 Ghz and a HD6950 GFX card. Everything ran fine till my HD4850 GFX card, crashes started after I bought HD4890 OC'ed and although crashes have gone down a bit after I installed HD6950, but still crashed.

I tried running CPU and all things at stock speeds, but it still crashes between games.

I think PSU has given up.

Any ideas you guys have??

Also what alternatives shall I look for? VX550, TX650V2, or some seasonic 650 watt PSU in same range?? Help guys.

Corsair VX450 has 33A on +12V Rail and HD 6950 requires min 30A PSU to run.. I think your PSU has crossed threshold , and is pushed to its limits by HD 4890 which requires min 32A PSU..

I think you should really change your PSU to VX550 or higher to run without load problems.

I thought so too :( How much power VX550 has? on rails I mean.

any other comparable PSU in that range?? or better?? My budget is around 5-5.5K

On some forums.. people often keep saying that VX450 can easily handle HD6950 and alike.. don't know why then :?

And how come your CX400 can handle your rig??

^^ Your SMPS has taken a hit too much of power was being drawn (overclocked CPU + HD 4890), best is before it takes a bunch of other components down with it get a Corsair VX 550 OR better SMPS and till then do not, I say again do not run your system.

HD6950 maxed around 180-200W so a 450w psu can handle this GPU

Also detail your complete config.

May be your PSU have some issue so check with another psu,if its in warranty try to RMA it.

Mobo Asus P5K motherboard - P35 chipset based

RAM Corsair Dominotor 4 GB 1066 MHz

CPU Intel E8500 OC'ed at 4.0 Ghz

GFX MSI Frozr Twin Turbo HD6950

3 HDD, 1 DVD Writer, 4-5 Fans

ALPHA17 said:
^^ Your SMPS has taken a hit too much of power was being drawn (overclocked CPU + HD 4890), best is before it takes a bunch of other components down with it get a Corsair VX 550 OR better SMPS and till then do not, I say again do not run your system.

The VX450 can power the HD6950 and that overclocked processor just fine. I am not sure on what grounds did you conclude that it might just kill that system!

That said the power supply will not be working at it's best efficiency.

^Could you try with a different power supply to rule out the issue concerning power supply? I do however recall, another member (low bass maker IINM) with a VX450 not being able to use a bunch of hard drives (I think 6 nos. or so) with his PC. Pretty weird but after changing the PSU, the system worked just fine!

I don't think bad earthing can cause crashes either.

mib2_007 said:
So what shall I Do? Go for a new one or RMA this one?

Try to run your rig on someone else's PSU first... And only borrow it if any of your friend has a 550w or above PSU like Corsair VX550 / TX650... Do not borrow a generic PSU... Coz it would just make the matter worst... Or if any of your friend doesn't have any reputed PSU than i would advice you to buy Corsair TX650V2 ~ 5.5k coz running an HD6950 on a PSU like VX450 is not advisable... and TX650V2 would be enough for your future upgrades aswell...

^^ I thought that he was talking about the SS model which TheITWares is selling which comes with a tiny fan on the rear... :p And the review link of the Seasonic PSU that you have given me.... i dont think that TheITWares has it... or OP would be able to find... Most Seasonic S12II models are not even available :( And now when the CX and VX series Corsair PSUs have been discontinued there are hardly any good PSUs left to recommened... I dont know when Tirupati would get stock of S12II 520w and 620w PSU...

VX series is alive and a available. It's been coming in India again after it's huge demand in mid-range rigs. VX 550 is available online for 5.1K I guess. But TX650V2 is for 5.4K directly from Tirupati at Nehru Place.

Back