PC Peripherals Cost of 160GB HDD...

Trajan

Adept
watz the current price of Seagate 160GB HDD??

what is the price difference between 160GB n 200GB??

which is better Seagate or Samsung??( i am a bit inclined with Seagate as my current 20GB is gr8... no problems... and couple of my friends Samsung HDD give nice sounds... and most importantly i dont trust Samsung except 4 monitors... Samsung cd/dvd drives are too bad)

Last time i went to buy a friend 80GB, it was hard to find a 8MB buffer drive.... they cost more... Is 2MB buffer for 160GB HDD enough?? is there 8MB or 16MB buffer drives? wat is the difference in cost?? Is there any performance difference between 2, 8 16MB buffer??

Guys i need a IDE drive and not SATA as my mobo doesnt support SATA...

Segate now over samsung coz of the 5Yrs warranty.

Larger the buffer , better is the perf , as it caches more data before transfer.[hope i aint wrong]

Go for 200GB as for some more money u get 40GB extra.
Imagine going for a seperate 40GB hdd later that wud be more costly.

No idea of the cost.

The price difference between 120 n 160 is ~ 400

but the difference between 160 n 200 is ~ 1000...

thats why thinking whether to go for 160 or 200....

Is there any benchmark where difference between 2MB, 8MB and 16MB can be seen??

My current HDD runs at 5400rpm.... most of 160GB drives run at 7200rpm, so heat a lot... heard that the operating temp for HDD is in the range of 45-60... is extra fans reqd? my case reaches 45 during peak summer....

itsmevivek said:
The price difference between 120 n 160 is ~ 400

but the difference between 160 n 200 is ~ 1000...

thats why thinking whether to go for 160 or 200....

My current HDD runs at 5400rpm.... most of 160GB drives run at 7200rpm, so heat a lot... heard that the operating temp for HDD is in the range of 45-60... is extra fans reqd? my case reaches 45 during peak summer....
There's a major diff in performance between 7200RPM and 5400RPM. Same is true for 10K and 7.2K RPM. Currently I have drives of all the three types.

The average data transfer rates reported by HDTach are as follows:
200G SATA(Barracuda 7200.7) : 50-51 MB/s
160G SATA(Barracuda 7200.7) : 48MB/s
160G SATA(Barracuda 7200.7 NCQ (ncq is disabled cos my chipset doesnt support it) : 50-52MB/s
All the above have 12.X ms latency of access.

WD Raptor 36GB (10K RPM): 48-50MB/s with latency of around 6-7ms
This may not seem much but difference in speed but the difference is that the speed is nearly the same across all the media. (In the 7200RPM drives, the speed at the beginning of the media is around 65MB/s and tapers off to around 35MB/s at the end of the media). This doesnt happen in case of the raptor. Its nearly the same across the entire media. Low Latency makes a huge diff in responsiveness.

40G IDE (Barracuda ATA II - 5400RPM) : 24-30MB/s, latency of around 18ms

Don't have 2MB cache drives so cant really compare cache sizes. As for temperatures, my drive temps hover between 36-40(in peak summer) for all the drives irrespective of size/rpm. Possibly cause of the two intake fans of the wavemaster blowing onto them.

Chaos thanks for that info dude...

What i the performance difference between IDE Baracuda @7220RPM and SATA?? anyways i cannot buy a SATA as my mobo doesnt support it....

anyone.. watz the cost of these drives??

itsmevivek said:
Chaos thanks for that info dude...

What i the performance difference between IDE Baracuda @7220RPM and SATA?? anyways i cannot buy a SATA as my mobo doesnt support it....

anyone.. watz the cost of these drives??
The difference is nonexistent if you can find a drive with 8MB cache. It'll a bit more if the cache is 2MB.

itsmevivek said:

here is a comparison of 2mb and 8mb cache drives... with and without Raid

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=210&articID=69

The only SATA and PATA drives I have read about with 16mb cache are the new Maxtor Maxline III drives ..... I think the Maxtor DM10 too has 16mb cache. I have read that the Maxline III has come very close to matching the speed of the Raptor 74G drive.

Eazy posted 5.62 minutes later:

If you want to see speed difference between drives click "SORT" button then select drives on this page and click on "HEAD TO HEAD COMPARISON" button

http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php

Wraith when did you get HDD? Any idea of prices in chennai?

Is there any software to monitor the temp of HDD??

Anysites to check for prices... i checked business.vsnl.com/deltapage but that site was updated last in Feb....

No idea abt the prices in Chennai...i got my hdd a couple of months back

U can use HDDlife to monitor the temps....but it doesnt support SATA drives...i am not very sure but i think Everest Home Edition does show temps for SATA drives too
BTW the hdd i got was a SATA.....

Last time i heard the rate of 160GB was around 3700... but i am not sure whether it is 2MB or 8MB buffer...

I am planning to buy this weekend... thats why seriously searching for rates online...

AFAIK the seagate 160gigs nd samsung 160gigs r available in only 8mb nd 16mb buffers ;)

Also the a Seagate 160gig NCQ SATA cost me 4100 just a week back....
The PATA's r about 3.5 to 3.6 or even less.......
Dnt hav ny idea bout the 200gb drives

itsmevivek said:
Is there any software to monitor the temp of HDD??

I use Mother Board Monitor. I have displays for the Temperatures of the CPU CASE and my SATA and PATA HDD's in the system tray.

Price Diff is only 600 Rs when i got my 200 GB last November back. Back then, 160 GB was for 5400 and i got my 200 GB Barracuda SATA for 6000. I think the IDE version is presently available in the 4800- 5000 range. So go for 200 GB. But first verify that your motherboard supports 200 GB capacity. You might need a Bios upgrade. If its not supported then you will be able to use only 128 GB of it.

My mobo is MSI KT4AV. the chipset is VIA KT400A. Does it support 200GB?? Googled but cudnt find a answer...

Anybody has any idea whether my mobo will support??

Tech Head i dint get what u said?

What do u mean by IDE controller? enlighten me...

i Have XP SP2 only...

Is there any site where maximium HDD capacity supported by mobo can be found? Any softs for it?

itsmevivek said:
Tech Head i dint get what u said?

What do u mean by IDE controller? enlighten me...

i Have XP SP2 only...

Is there any site where maximium HDD capacity supported by mobo can be found? Any softs for it?

I have a Promise brand IDE controller which takes 4 HDD. In case you have a problem with a large drive not getting recognised on the Mother Boards controller than you will need a PCI controller like the Promise.

On this page you can select the drives for the system consisiting of a KT4AV main board and a 200gb is in the list... from this it looks like your Board will support 200GB HDD.

http://www.legendmicro.com/store/more_info.asp?Category_ID=375&Product_ID=2938

Back