Cost of hosting a game server?

IceFusion

Skilled
Any 1 has any idea how much does it costs to host a dedicted gaming server here...

Like i want to host a dedicated server of q3,cs and Ut.....

so how much will it cost...

cause gamers can contribute and host it if it isnt tth much...

well, i know the costs of css servers actually, based on sg, remember sgwargames server?

those ppl charge insane, about 30$ for a 12 member server and 40$ for 16 member server, and yes, this is per month...

Well Karan, Ricky had posted the same in Kawa it cost him around 1 lakh Rs Per annum to host a dedicated server. Its a costly affair, you require a huge amount of dedicated bandwith.

well, we can host within our group and give the ip so that others can join in too ;)

this can be done, metallus can host, but the thing is only at nights, i think even blade can host, but dunno if he will host or not :p

Ok my exams are over.
I am gona do whatever it takes to get the CSS & HL2 deathmatch dedicated server up and running by this weekend.
I just bought dedicated 256K badwidth plan( special customised deal).
I have seperated my old P4 rig and connecteded it to that connection.
Its currently downloading HLDS.
Lets hope for the best. This server should give guys in India very good pings.
If all goes well you guys will have 24x7 gaming server. Will keep changing games as per the request.
Will maintain it until i can from my pocket.
If you some people come together then we can lease a dedicated server, make it private if needed and share the expendature.
even if we have say 15 gamers, $2.66 is small price to pay per month.

Count me in.
Even if its 10$ per month,doesnt matter.
I donno how much i can make actual use of this server as i have a pathetic Net connection but then if it is christened, TE dedicated Gaming Server,i am in it as it will increase our popularity....hehehe selfish me

lets just try out funky's idea first, coz one i connected to a server created by stormbaslt, and i got like 30-60 pings, caried coz of my crappy internet connection.. he was on Iqura, Funky, what ISP are u gonna use to host this server btw? oh plz dont tell me its Sify..

no its not sify. Its line taken from pacenet hub near me.
Talked to them and had a special deal with them.
And about sify. Man the speeds in my area are damn good on sify. It depends a lot on your local cable network. My cablewala manages it very well. Hubs at every 100 meters, put inside the waterproof casing. Signal boosers. I had no problem with any of the services available through this network.
At the moment tata, pacenet and sify are available through him( same infrastructure ).
The problem with sify is port blocking on some default ports, nothing else.
But sify wont give unlimited 256K connection :(

nope cant do.
Sold my UT2k4 to my friend just 15 days ago.
Dont plan to buy it again. Though I loved red orchestra mod it was geting boaring.
ALL i can host is AA, Q3, CS 1.6, CSS, HL2 Deathmatch, COD.

BTW. wtf is this HLDS doing. Man it had downloaded 600MB till now :eek:
Soo mnay props for every map.

And this is all provided i properly figure out the damn IP settings ;)

Funky, check this out, this will sole 99% of all ur doubts

Code:
http://www.forumplanet.com/counterstrike/topic.asp?fid=4955&tid=1572730

read that article completly, best ive ever came across..

And for starters, host a CSS server, HL2 deathmatch sux bigtime..

well all files are now in order.
Everything setup properly. Still no go.
Aparantly there is router on ISP side and thats where problem is.
Unlike ADSL, other cable internet guys use local routers and internal IP.
Now with steam dedicated server and HLDS you need to forword ports to the router to be visible to outside.
Thats why only my friends who are on the same network can join my servers and not you guys.
Need to talk to the cable wala to see if he can help regarding this.

ok, Metallus can host a dedicated server :D just tried it, it works, one problem though
me and metallus share same steam id, so when he joins, i cant, when i join, he cant, that is cant play on one server together.. so someone here willing to share/load his steam id to host a dedicated server?? :p

funkymonkey said:
well all files are now in order.
Everything setup properly. Still no go.
Aparantly there is router on ISP side and thats where problem is.
Unlike ADSL, other cable internet guys use local routers and internal IP.
Now with steam dedicated server and HLDS you need to forword ports to the router to be visible to outside.
Thats why only my friends who are on the same network can join my servers and not you guys.
Need to talk to the cable wala to see if he can help regarding this.

Quite rightly so.
Insecure Internet>ISP Router with NAT>Internal user pc's

For others to join & be able to play the game ask him to port forward the appropriate ports to the server hosting the game server.
That is say your machine's internal IP is 198.168.0.1 & the game server requires the port say for example 6668 then ask him to set port forwarding on the router to allow requests been made for the binded IP & port.
Incase if you need further help regarding this pm me the router make & model I'll see what more I can do regarding this.

yea, but when we try to join the server that he created, it says, steam id already in use :p

any way to disable steam id check in that dedicated server?

@Funky, read the article, the link to which i provided above, and check ur PM..

Rave I read that ages ago. Thats what made me do all this.
I have followed every single step. I cant follow the router port forword step as I dont know which router is being used at the ISP side. I dont have access to it.
People on the same node as mine can play with me. Thats what we do. Me and my friends who have got the connection from out cablewala play with each other all the time. Pings below 30 most of the times. They can join as we are interconnected.
What stands between outside internet and my server is the ISP router.
I called up my cablewala and he said he cant forword the ports without consulting with his technical person. He will let me know tomorrow.
by the way my msn is
Code:
srkudtarkar@hotmail.com

Back