Counterfeit item received - Help needed with opening a case in eBay US

letmein

Skilled
I ordered an item from eBay US. It cost about $12. Unfortunately, when I received the item yesterday, I quickly realized that it wasn't an original - it was a Chinese knockoff.

Now I'm wondering if it is worthwile it to open a case in Paypal since I'll have to ship the item back and according to the India Post website it costs about $10 to ship to Canada.

Just want to know whether the option of opening the box, verifying the content and refusing the parcel was an option for you ?

The first problem i see with this is who pays the return trip back to the seller. The courier isn't going to do it. The seller then says he has not received his product and therefore cannot do any refund. Case closed by ebay.

No, refusing to accept the package wasn't an option - it was an international parcel so was delivered by the local postman.

Case will be handled by PayPal- this is what I see if I try to open a dispute:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 258
Sending the shipment back to the seller at US is going to probably cost more than 12 USD via India Post's cheapest mode. Not worth it.

Unless of course, the seller is willing to send you a replacement without requiring you to send him back the previous item. Like how Amazon does.

When I had a problem with eBay.com they sent me a shipping label themselves to return the shipment. The only problem in my case was that I had used a forwarding address so I would have had to send the phone back to New York first. Please check with eBay first. Since yours was international shipping in the first place, you shouldn't have a problem if they decide the case in your favor and provide the shipping label.

Just a quick update - seller has offered a partial refund ($8) and let me keep the item. Let's see if I get it back or not.

You won't need to return the item in most cases. Just say Goods Significantly Not as Described. 90% chance you will get a full refund and also get to keep the item.

Back