Cowon S9 16gb Mini Review

I got this player from Amazon via kmd last week,for 12.6k so thought to write a review:clap:

54484a5df5aa10377.jpg

Specifications
Screen: 16million colors, 3.3" 16:9 Wide AMOLED, 480x272
Video:Xvid SP/ASP, WMV9 SP/MP
Audio: MP3, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, FLAC, APE, WAV
Photo:JPEG(resolution unlimited)
Weight:77gram
Other features:TV-out, FM radio, voice/line-in/FM recorder, user-configurable presets, text viewer, date/time/alarm, bookmarks songs, managing files on the player(u can only delete files though),Flash games,Custom interfaces

Packaged Contents
Nothing special here, you get a minidisc with Cowon's Jetaudio and manuals on it. You also get a pair of headphones which are nothing special and proprietary USB cable.and a quick guide in different languages
All that's missing really for me is the wall charger:(

Design:
The design is quiet simple.
On the top it has 5 buttons the Vol+/- Buttons,Next/Prev Track Buttons and the center button which rather looks like a part of design a metal ring which is play/pause button
photo0808.jpg

On the Bottom we have USB Socket,3.5mm earphone port and power and hold buttons

On the backside we have mic and reset

Build Quality
A lot of reviewers have said it is very light and feels rather hollow or plastic, which is true. however I must stress that it's not badly built, in fact it's probably still several levels above that of other manufacturers.it feels so light that i sometimes forget it is in my pocket

UI
Cowon has made leaps and bounds in this department, the UI is much simpler to navigate and doing so is very quick with menus popping up quickly and scrolling through files in a breeze.
I've found the accelerometer(or G-Sensor as Cowon calls it) to be very good at picking up when the player is turned on it's side The UI is very smooth in almost all areas.
Also there are few UCI(User Creative Interfaces) which are awesome.
Here is one UCI

This is how music Interface looks like

Audio Quality
I'm not great at discerning between small differences in sound, however you can be certain that the S9 exceeds the iPod. You can work out with Equalizer, BBE,BBE+, Mach3bass, Stereo,3D sound and all to best suit your music type.I am using Creative Ep-630 with this player currently and the earphones are ok..waiting for my Soundmagics's PL30 to arrive...so that i can get the best out of this baby.:eek:hyeah:

Video quality
Wow... this is where this player really excels.The AMOLED screen looks fantastic..with crisp colors.As this player supports xvid codec,so one can drag drop avi files and you are good to go:D

Photos
Pictures are crisp,clear and lively,thanks to the AMOLED screen.It has slideshow option also

FM Radio
Nice to have, haven't used it much.There is an option to record it as well

Voice recording
Haven't used it much,But recorded a few to test it out and they are very clear

Bluetooth
Can't really comment as I don't have a bluetooth headset to pair it too.

Flash games
I've tried a few flash games and they are fun to play,however some of the buttons aren't finger friendly.

Battery
I haven't really had the player long enough to judge things but i am getting around 45hrs audio depending on usage,EQ settings,Screen brightness,etc

As this is my first review,do let me know if i made any mistakes;)
Thanks for reading,
Cheers,

Short and crisp review. Nice. It would be better if you could put up smaller pictures though. The images are HUGE.. Around 7MB for the images.. remember we are in India dude..:mad:

Back