CPU/Mobo CPU Cooler for AMD Athlon II X4 640

Hey guys, I've a AMD Athlon II X4 640 which runs at 3 GHz. I was thinking about getting a cooler for this processor, but it will not be overclocked to extreme limits (just intend to overclock upto 3.4 Ghz if its possible).

Earlier I was thinking about Cooler Master N520 or Cooler Master N620 but I think that these will be overkills. I also have a AMD Phenom II 940 stock cooler (the ones with heatpipes). So, should I go for a new cooler (under Rs. 2000) or should I use the Phenom II 940 cooler?

If u r gonna overclock ur X4 640 then i wud suggested u to buy CM Hyper 212+ ~ 1.9k coz i dont think the phenom II 940 heatsink (which has heatpipe) wud b able to handle Athlon II x4 640 @ 3.4GHz... :)

hellknight_mnd said:
Hey guys, I've a AMD Athlon II X4 640 which runs at 3 GHz. I was thinking about getting a cooler for this processor, but it will not be overclocked to extreme limits (just intend to overclock upto 3.4 Ghz if its possible).

Earlier I was thinking about Cooler Master N520 or Cooler Master N620 but I think that these will be overkills. I also have a AMD Phenom II 940 stock cooler (the ones with heatpipes). So, should I go for a new cooler (under Rs. 2000) or should I use the Phenom II 940 cooler?

Phenom heatsink more than enuf. Damn even that low profile stock cooler is enough. But for 3.4GHz u'll probably need higher than stock vcore(the stock vcore on Athlon II X4 proccs give around maximum 3.2-3.3GHz)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

hellknight_mnd said:

Phenom heatsink more than enuf. Damn even that low profile stock cooler is enough. But for 3.4GHz u'll probably need higher than stock vcore(the stock vcore on Athlon II X4 proccs give around maximum 3.2-3.3GHz)

Installed that Phenom II HSF on my system.. After about 2 hours of gaming (NFS Hot Pursuit) the temperature was around 30 Deg C but the fan was rotation at high speed around 5.5k rpm. I think that the temperature will drop more when I'll get Cooler Master CM 690 cabinet next month.. Currently, there is no intake fan in my cabinet..

Save your money and try the stock Phenom II cooler. If you intend to go higher than 3.4 then only go for an aftermarket cooler.

^

If you plan on aquiring an airy cabinet like the Cooler Master 690 in sometime, stick with standard Phenom II HSF and you'll not notice anything apart from slightly higher noise from the stock HSF.

hellknight_mnd said:
Installed that Phenom II HSF on my system.. After about 2 hours of gaming (NFS Hot Pursuit) the temperature was around 30 Deg C but the fan was rotation at high speed around 5.5k rpm. I think that the temperature will drop more when I'll get Cooler Master CM 690 cabinet next month.. Currently, there is no intake fan in my cabinet..
seriously u dont need to get so jumpy and spend on cabinet and cooler and all just for 2-4C temperature fall, it's not like it's gonna snow.

@comp@ddict .. The plans of cabinet are due to GTX 260 Core 216 sonic edition card & 2 hard drives.. Regarding snow, the temperature here in Himachal is still chilly, it might snow in a week I guess.. :D :D

comp@ddict said:
seriously u dont need to get so jumpy and spend on cabinet and cooler and all just for 2-4C temperature fall, it's not like it's gonna snow.
hellknight_mnd said:
@comp@ddict .. The plans of cabinet are due to GTX 260 Core 216 sonic edition card & 2 hard drives.. Regarding snow, the temperature here in Himachal is still chilly, it might snow in a week I guess.. :D :D
:lol: It did snow I think.

@OP: What's your current cabinet?

Back