CPU/Mobo CPU fan spins only after a little nudge.

Zine

Disciple
Hi Guys.!
I have an Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz CPU.I had bought a new fan for it that lay unused for about a year in my house before I used it.Now, this fan was working fine for about a week or so, but now, it doesn't start spinning on it's own.Meaning I need to give it a little nudge with a screwdriver to get it spinning.So I ran to the nearest hardware store and got a lubricant [Zorrik 88] which I applied to the fan bearings.It worked fine for a few days, but has now started acting up again.
What can the reason be.? Not enough power supply.?, friction.?, botched up fan [it lay unused for a year].?
I tried taking out the fan to see if cleaning it properly helps, but couldn't take it out.

There is a high probability that the fan motor has become weak. Same thing happened to my gfx card fan. Just ended up replacing it with an 80mm case fan.

Wow...Didn't know a small thing like a fan could damage CPU or motherboard.:O Will replace the fan ASAP.But the trouble is, I have no idea how to take the fan out.Geez.!I lost the manual that came with my motherboard.Would posting an image of the fan here help.?

BTw, any idea how much do these fans cost.?

i think i have a original socket 478 heatsink with fan lying around , incase u can't find a decent replacement , let me know.

i remember seeing @ lamington , elcheapo chinese ones were selling for like 200 buks...

also,
the 80mm fan would be like 50-60 buks maxed out

Alright.So here's an image of the CPU fan.Anyone have an idea on how to get this kind of fans out.?

P.S.:Where do I click to edit my posts.?

^^ the fan above itself looks like a el-cheapo one ..and not the original(not sure though)

no wonder it's on the verge of dying..as they cheap ones dont perform for a a long time.

to remove the Heat sink + fan ,just lift those 2 grey locks on the sides.

you will feel the whole heatsink assembly getting unlocked and loose.

and then gently lift the plastic frame of the heatsink.

should be easy :)

try getting a original 478 socket HSF as a replacement. :)

i had exactly the same fan on my old p4 1.7 ghz setup...same problem occurred...the fans sometimes wud work..and sometimes required spinning it manually a lil...

then i thought maybe the fan on the heatsink has gone bad...

so bought the entire hsf..only fan not available..not original..

i set it up on my old mobo....and guess what ...the fan again just spun for a while on bootin up and then stopped..i had to fiddle with it even more to try it to get runnning..

so me think its the powersupply problem...

i also noticed tht when i removed one 30 gb old hd...the fans did run on their own....

so u might wanna remove some unnecessary hardware and check..

ankitmane said:
i had exactly the same fan on my old p4 1.7 ghz setup...same problem occurred...the fans sometimes wud work..and sometimes required spinning it manually a lil...

then i thought maybe the fan on the heatsink has gone bad...

so bought the entire hsf..only fan not available..not original..

i set it up on my old mobo....and guess what ...the fan again just spun for a while on bootin up and then stopped..i had to fiddle with it even more to try it to get runnning..

so me think its the powersupply problem...

i also noticed tht when i removed one 30 gb old hd...the fans did run on their own....

so u might wanna remove some unnecessary hardware and check..
Aww crap...I have just added a new AGP card [7600GS] to my system.I have a 400W SMPS providing 27A on the +12V railing.My other hardware is 160 GB + 40 GB HDDs, 1 GB DDR RAM, Celeron 2.4Ghz CPU.I guess 400W should be enough for this.

BTW, Please tell me how did you remove this fan.The bugger just won't come off.! :mad:

FaH33m said:
^^ the fan above itself looks like a el-cheapo one ..and not the original(not sure though)
no wonder it's on the verge of dying..as they cheap ones dont perform for a a long time.

to remove the Heat sink + fan ,just lift those 2 grey locks on the sides.
you will feel the whole heatsink assembly getting unlocked and loose.
and then gently lift the plastic frame of the heatsink.
should be easy :)

try getting a original 478 socket HSF as a replacement. :)
I lifted the grey locks and the plastic frame did become loose, but wouldn't come off.Am I supposed to take out the plastic frame + heatsink simultaneously or frame first, heatsink second.?

P.S.:Tickle me and call me dill, but I can't find out how to edit my posts.:S Sorry for the double post.:sorry:

yes once uve loosened the upper frame by pullin up the clips..

then take a screwdriver and place it in between the leg of the frame and the heatsink and pull them apart use lil force...those are actually like hooks which will give way wen u use the scredriver as a lever ...same way way for other 3 legs.

ive had a tough time myself figurin this one out..

this pic will help

pentium4-socket478-heatsink-fan.jpg

you need to lift the heatsink and frame together...

Back